Trip without Kids? Guilt?

tci1212

DIS Veteran
I am starting to feel really guilty, I am going to Disney and leaving my two sons ages 12 and 14 at home with Dad. They went in August and then again on a Disney cruise in October, so I know this should'nt bother me....but I find myself getting pangs of guilt.
I am not taking them because they cannot miss school again. Has anyone else felt this way? Will I be able to enjoy this trip? I am going with my grown daughter and her husband and newborn grandchild. Anyone else out there feel the same way?:sunny:

I think you're going to have a great time. Of course, you may come home to a very messy house.

Bobbi:D

Sorry, I can't find any reasons for a guilty feeling. Have a great time.

a girlfriend next month....both of our families have been to Disney for the past 2 years in a row.....we went without them the first time last January and while I was a little guilty (and bought them lots of presents)...IT WAS ONLY A LITTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hee hee

It is SO much fun to go and do only what you want to ..... and no WHINING!!!

oops - sorry - did I say my kids whine......

Thanks everyone for your input, its my 12 yr old giving me the most guilt, so I keep reminding him about his Disney cruise he went on. He left me home and went with his Aunt and Uncle.
I did take one trip when they were babies with a girlfriend, we had a great time.

pirate: ::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

I think you should feel guilty for not taking me. :teeth:

Seriously, have a great time & don't worry! They'll get over it.

I hope you embarass your daughter by acting like a kid. Have a great time!!!

TCI1212 - I know what you mean. I just found out that DH is going to WDW for a conference & I get to go with him! However, it will be our 1st trip ever to anywhere without the kids. We can't take them because of school & also because we're saving our $ for a big WDW family trip in 2005.

The kids are perfectly fine with the whole thing, but I really can't imagine a trip to WDW without them. I feel kind of sad leaving them at home, but I'm also looking forward to a new way of experiencing WDW. I had never even dreamed of such a luxury happening & now I just don't know what to do!?!! At least I know where to start - on the "Adults & Solo Travelers" thread.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

How do you get the guilt to go??? I just booked for 2 weeks from now for a weekend without the kids (dd4 ds2 dd2). This will be the first time for me without them. The sad part about it is it was my suggestion to "get away". I feel guilty and selfish for going without them. Hopefully when I get there it the feeling will go.

My parents are going in May for a week without me. I'm not upset about it. Of course we all are going in three weeks. They could use a trip just for themselfs. I don't think you should feel guilty.

I understand about the guilt. I feel a pang of guilt for leaving my Dad at home this trip. I've taken him on trip after trip, but still feel guilty about declaring this trip to be ME, ME, all for me!

I probably wouldn't feel so bad, but I have decided to treat myself to dinner at V&A for my b-day this trip. I take my Dad there every year for his b-day but had to bypass that luxury last month because I was shorter on funds than usual.

So I guess I'll just have to live with the image of my Dad stuck at home with no one for company other than my cat, and having nothing better for dinner than mac & cheese. All while I'm hooping it up, eating gourmet meals, taking in the beautiful sights, and living with giddy abandon in the land of the mouse...

Oh, where was I? Guilt? Who was talking about guilt? I'M going to Disneyworld! No time for guilt there.

Me, me all for me...me, me, all for me...me, me, all for me........

I apologize if my post was not appropriate for this thread. At the time I posted it, I believed it was. Please allow me a few sentences to explain why:

My Dad is 76 years old and lives with me. Because of his age we have begun the role reversal that happens to most of us when our parents age (often I have to parent HIM these days).

When I take him on Disney trips, my entire focus is making sure that HE has a good time. Much like parents do when they a take their children to see the Mouse.

Please understand that that is why I thought I could relate to the OP's feelings of guilt about leaving her children at home while she has a vacation of her own.

The "me, me all for me" comments were just suppose to lighthearted. I'm sorry if my post was inappropriate.

I have guilt sometimes about not taking my eldest son, I think that's normal. Especially to someplace that is so kid oriented. But at the same time, even us parents deserve a break sometimes.

Have a great trip!

In the last couple of years, since our kids are now teenagers, my hubby and I have started taking short trips alone. We still try to do family trips every year, but once a year we do a trip that is just for the two of us. I have found that we need this alone time. As parents, our lives revolve entirely around our kids. Making sure they have $$ for this or that, rides to this activity or that, etc. So we cherish our "honeymooning" time when we can leave the kids for a few days and concentrate on each other.

This is our first trip to WDW without the kids, though, and I do feel a "little" bit guilty, but the kids have been pretty good about it. Plus we are taking them to Hawaii next year (hopefully) so they are looking forward to that.

It's a little easier because our kids are teens, and they have pretty full lives now anyways.

I say enjoy yourselves. The kids will get over it, and so will you. We parents do so much for our kids, but we have got to take care of ourselves as well.

Good luck!

Lola °Ü°

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter