Tripods and Monopods

cpbjgc

Earned My Ears
I have a Canon Powershot S1 IS and am slowly learning the various features. We are going to the World in January :banana: and I was thinking I might want to take some fireworks shots, but in reading the many very helpful suggestions on DIS see that using a tripod is recommended. I was thinking of getting a tripod in any event, but now that I start looking I see there are also monopods, which, to my way of thinking, look easier to lug around the parks. :scratchin Has anyone had experience with monopods, and if so, how do they compare to tripods?

Or even better yet, look at the results that can be acheived without lugging either a tripod or monopod: Link

However, on the issue of monopods vs. tripods, tripods offer much more stabilization than monopods. With the monopod there's still camera movement, just less than if you're holding the camera in free space. Tripod use can also show camera movement, particularly if your hands are still touching the camera as you fire it. The only sure way to get a movement free image with a tripod is if you're using the self-timer on it or a remote release. If you're using an SLR on a tripod, you can also get camera wobble from the mirror movement (some SLRs offer a mirror lock-up option to eliminate this).

Also, keep in mind that the wider angle of the image you're taking, the less noticable camera movement will be. This is another reason that using available bracing objects like railings, lamp posts, etc. work great for steadying your camera for fireworks photos.

OK, so I wouldn't recommend lugging a tripod around unless you are there SPECIFICALLY for a photo shoot (run to resort, pick up tripod, go to park, shoot photos, then drop tripod off back at resort). I can recommend, however, a monopod. I just got back from Boston and CT where I carried a monopod with me at all times...when in the New England Aquarium and the Museum of Science, I managed to get a MUCH higher percentage of sharp shots than without carrying it. Most monopods do become quite compact and can easily fit in a backpack (or strap to your belt). I recently picked up a cheap one for around $60, and it's great for travel.
Having said that, you can get good results without a tri/monopod, but it takes some effort. Here's one that I took a couple of trips ago...

y5vnhy.jpg
I think there were a dozen or so keepers out of the hundreds that I shot during Wishes at MK. Percentage could have been higher, but all I had with me was the camera and myself.

Mahmood,

Without a doubt a monopod is a lot better than free holding a camera in open space, but I think you will find that you'll get more "keepers" bracing a camera against a solid object (without a 'pod) than using a monopod in the open. Unless you have hands-of-steel you're still going to get movement with a monopod. Even when I use a monopod (mine's a heavy-duty metal Bogen model) I often try to brace the monopod or camera against something solid for better stabilization.

Also, the bracing method is a lot easier than some people think. Just get creative and practice a bit. That's all it takes. The #1 reason I discard images while using non-'pod bracing is due to exposure, focus, and timing... not camera movement.

Yeah, I agree, for the most part. You have to learn how to brace the monopod. I usualy tilt it at an angle and use one of my legs as a brace for it. I'm fairly steady as it is, so I'm not too worried. But there are times when you simply don't have anything to brace against. That photo above, for example, was in the middle of a crowd of people...A monopod (at least for me) is a valuable thing to carry around when you don't want a tripod with you for obvious reasons.

When using a Mono at Disneyland/world, just take some tie straps and secure the monopod using some of the hand rails(vertical cross bars). This should give an extra couple stops. Also use timer or remote.

Nitetime.jpg
040405disney13.jpg

Thanks for the responses, they are all very helpful (I might even get myself a bean bag!).

For those who have used monopods, which have you used and what did you like or dislike about them?

I have used one of these to great effect:

P2KDT1.PNG

They're not good in all situations, but they are small enough to carry in a pocket, and work well with small to medium-size cameras.

Call me crazy, but I like to carry a tripod with me. I agree that with the use if a fast lens and high ISO you really don't need a tripod/monopod, but I love to get clean crisp night shots and I might drink too much coke to keep a steady hand :hyper: . The tripod I carry to WDW is small enough to fit in my camera bag, but when fully extended is about 50 inches tall. Here is a link to the tripod I have
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...258&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I haven't had the opportunity to lug my tripod with me to WDW but I do lug it with me to the airshows to capture those great planes as they fly by the tarmac! With the tripod, I sometimes extend just one leg and use it similar to a monopod for some shots and when I have the room and the time to setup, I can easily use it as a tripod as well. It's also nice to have one that has the quick release option and my tripod compacts very nicely. The bag that I carry my lenses in has some straps closer to the bottom of the bag that you can strap the tripod to so this is another option. When taking photography of something similar to fireworks I would probably be toting my lenses around as well so carrying one extra piece of equipment doesn't bother me as much.

I am looking at buying either a monopod or tripod (maybe both if DW agrees to it) and would like suggestions as to what models people enjoy. The tripod would probably not be carried around that much so weight wouldn't be a deciding factor for this.

Thanks.

I have the inexpensive tripod from Wal-mart and it serves me just fine. I think it was about $18. But it really comes down to what you the need the tripod for and how much money you care to spend.

I found a very good quality tripod for a very low price at 7dayshop.com, although maybe not much use to those of you in the USA.
I bought both mono and tripod for about £30 ($50 ish) and they are excellent.

Everybody forgot to ask you a very important question. What kind of camera are you using? If you use a dSLR and try using a cheap tripod, you may end up buying a new dSLR if the tripod falls over (I witnessed these happenings quite often).

I have a Nikon D70 with the SB800 flash. I don't have one of the expensive lenses yet but may get one in the future.

I propose for something that's no cheaper than the US$50-ish kinds. I personaly use the cheapest Manfrotto with ball head for travelling ($50 for the tripod, $100 for the ball head, or you can use #056 head by Manfrotto that costs only about $10 -- ten dollars --).

It's not too heavy and sturdy enough for my 300D with grip, external flash and Sigma 18-200 lens. Any heavier than that load, I would not recommend that low-end Manfrotto.

I recently received a Kodak z740 and am looking for both a tripod and monod for it. Right now, I don't want to spend a lot on them, is there a brand that you suggest?

Ideally, I want to be able to take them to WDW. so it would need to fold down easily and now be too big. I have found a tripod with carrying case on Walmart.com for $24.84, but it's out of stock. I have seen a few on ebay as well.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter