Tropical pool vibe

Pixiedust724

Earning My Ears
Looking for a resort pool with a lot of foliage & palm trees, some where the adults can relax with a cocktail. We do have a 6 & 16 year old too.
We've tried the BC & GF. Looking to try somewhere new. Open to DVC & Deluxe resort suggestions.
Pictures would be a plus

I think that AKL Jambo house pool also has lots of nice foliage and greenery. And I agree with pp- look them up. YouTube is a wealth of information. Just search for “Animal Kingdom Lodge pool” or “Disney Polynesian Village Pool” etc. Tons of videos with people doing walk throughs of every resort on property. Even videos of the slides.

Which level of resort are you planning on staying at? Since you need to be a guest of THAT resort to use their pool, that info will help us advise you.

We're probably going to rent DVC points
Of the DVC Resorts I would say the Poly has the most tropical vibe. However, they only have Studio Villas or very expensive bungalows. I don’t feel that any of the other DVC Resorts are particularly “ tropical”

Looking for a resort pool with a lot of foliage & palm trees, some where the adults can relax with a cocktail. We do have a 6 & 16 year old too.
We've tried the BC & GF. Looking to try somewhere new. Open to DVC & Deluxe resort suggestions.
Pictures would be a plus

I think the only pool that meets this is AKL Jambo. LOTS of foliage, some lounges are quite private. The two hot tubs are away from the main pool and very private. Bar right there as is the food court and arcade.

I think the only pool that meets this is AKL Jambo. LOTS of foliage, some lounges are quite private. The two hot tubs are away from the main pool and very private. Bar right there as is the food court and arcade.

Yup - this! And you can even walk past the hot tubs and see some animals. Love grabbing lunch at Mara and bringing it out to the pool. Zero entry pool for your 6YO as well, although I think most of the pools are beginning to be that way now.

For me, the pool at Kidani is more tropical than the one at Jambo. But, hey! If you stay at AKL/AKV you can use both pools and decide for yourself. There is a shuttle that runs between the two buildings constantly.

Kidani Village pool. We love the feel there.

Attachments

• 6dc4ce7eebd1afa97327b3f1de6b2766.jpg
    6dc4ce7eebd1afa97327b3f1de6b2766.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 21
I think the Swan and Dolphin pool is pretty nice. We have been there multiple times and it is never very crowded, they bring drinks right to you at the pool or your chairs, there is a nice bar attached and the waterfall/grotto area is very pretty! Plus the rooms are usually the same or cheaper than the DVC villas even on points. We usually do either renting of points or staying at the Dolphin depending on the dates and who we are traveling with.

Also, you can rent a cabana by the pool for either a 1/2 day or full day. It is great for a family to relax and has many amenities like a fully stocked fridge of water and soda, fans, tv, fruit bowl, waiter service, etc. B053B7A1-0720-48CA-B0F5-54EA39BDE592.jpeg

Last edited:
It depends on exactly what type of a “tropical” vibe you are looking for.

The Polynesian certainly has the most traditional tropical atmosphere, and the pool bars are excellent! However, the most recent re-imagining of the main pool (now the Lava Pool) removed quite a bit of the vegetation and shade. Also, the Lava Pool can be extremely busy, as in overrun with people everywhere. Bustling, busy, noisy. The new Oasis pool is usually much quieter, but probably a lot less interesting to a 6 and 16 year old. The upside is that you could rent a covered patio for shade, privacy and relaxation, and the Oasis bar and grill is right there with easy access. Patio rental is relatively reasonable, too, IIRC in $50-$60 range for a half day (please don’t quote me on that!).

The Poly is a lot more convenient transportation-wise when you want to go to the parks, and with the view of the Magic Kingdom and Seven Seas Lagoon, you really feel like you are at Disney! The Poly overall is my favorite WDW resort.

On the other hand ...

IMO, the more relaxing pool experience can be found at the AKL Jambo. It’s not as in-your-face tropical as the Poly, but still highly exotic. Uzima Springs pool is much larger that either the Lava or Oasis pools at the Poly. It has tons of lush green vegetation and shade, and we never noticed it being overrun like Lava pool. Lots of seating, with a great pool bar and the Mara quick service food nearby. The Kidani pool would also be available to you, but we didn’t visit that one so I can’t comment on it.

The downside of AKL is that the rooms are smaller, with less bathroom space than a Poly studio, which can be a factor for a family of four. Also, you have to take buses to all the parks, no boats, monorail, or Skyliner. But it is also less expensive, and more likely to be discounted, which can save you a bundle. More than enough for lots of Uber/Lyft rides, or car rental/parking if you so choose. The restaurants are superior too, IMO.

Here is a pic of the AKL Uzima pool from our balcony that shows the atmosphere and amount of green vegetation. It is transporting.

Hands down, the pools at AKL Jambo House or Kidani. The rest of the resort pools are concrete jungles.

Another vote for AKL as the Poly is great, but just not enough shade for us. This is the main reason we love Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach over any other water parks in the Orlando area - they have lots of shade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter