Tropical storm ETA, what would you do?

Finiamh

Mouseketeer
I need some input, especially from anyone who has been there during a storm. I have the plan to arrive Tuesday night and stay through to Sunday. But it looks like we won't know till Monday night a better idea of the track as far as central Florida. Should I still go and just try to enjoy myself? The next opportunity to reschedule wouldn't be until the middle of December. Please give thoughts. Thank you

I need some input, especially from anyone who has been there during a storm. I have the plan to arrive Tuesday night and stay through to Sunday. But it looks like we won't know till Monday night a better idea of the track as far as central Florida. Should I still go and just try to enjoy myself? The next opportunity to reschedule wouldn't be until the middle of December. Please give thoughts. Thank you

Are you flying or driving? That may make the decision for you.

Are you OK with three or four very rainy days? If it stays as a Tropical Storm, the parks will not close (based on past experience) and the locals will most likely stay home, so it could be less crowded but wet. If it becomes a hurricane, and hits Orlando directly, then the stronger it gets, the more likely it could close for a day or two. As you said, it is too early to know for sure. As a local, I will say I have my bags packed and car full of gas, just in case it gets bad at the last minute.

December is nice, but there is no guarantee there won’t be another storm then. The last time we had a season like this the last storm was early January. It’s not a likely scenario, but it’s a chance all the same. If the weather is good, it will be more crowded than a rainy week in November will be. The holidays will be in full swing, and the weather should be cooler in general. I go in December every year. Sometimes it’s rainy, sometimes it’s hot, and occasionally it’s freezing cold.

This probably hasn’t been very helpful. If you can wait it out, I would wait until later tomorrow for the most up to date info and then decide. I don’t think it’s going to be a catastrophic event, but there have been a lot of storms this year that got really strong at the last minute. You just have to weigh all the variables and your risk level, and trust your gut.

It will just be a lot of rain and wind. I personally wouldn't want to be there during a tropical storm, its a little chilly in these parts right now and all that wind and rain will be uncomfortable.

I’m right there with you. We were initially staying from Tuesday to Sunday. A couple of days ago, I moved it back a day to Wednesday to Monday. Now, I just don’t know what to do. I’ll be watching the weather along with you and hopefully we can make a better decision tomorrow.

Are you flying or driving? That may make the decision for you.

Are you OK with three or four very rainy days? If it stays as a Tropical Storm, the parks will not close (based on past experience) and the locals will most likely stay home, so it could be less crowded but wet. If it becomes a hurricane, and hits Orlando directly, then the stronger it gets, the more likely it could close for a day or two. As you said, it is too early to know for sure. As a local, I will say I have my bags packed and car full of gas, just in case it gets bad at the last minute.

December is nice, but there is no guarantee there won’t be another storm then. The last time we had a season like this the last storm was early January. It’s not a likely scenario, but it’s a chance all the same. If the weather is good, it will be more crowded than a rainy week in November will be. The holidays will be in full swing, and the weather should be cooler in general. I go in December every year. Sometimes it’s rainy, sometimes it’s hot, and occasionally it’s freezing cold.

This probably hasn’t been very helpful. If you can wait it out, I would wait until later tomorrow for the most up to date info and then decide. I don’t think it’s going to be a catastrophic event, but there have been a lot of storms this year that got really strong at the last minute. You just have to weigh all the variables and your risk level, and trust your gut.
You make some excellent points. I will be flying

Yes, it is a pickle. Technically I don't get on the plane until Tuesday afternoon so maybe I can even make a judgement call then.

The weathermen are uncertain as to its track. The current wind pattern shows ETA turning west into the Gulf and Orlando getting 1-2” of rain. We’re here now, anyway.

What does your gut say? That’s your best answer.

As of right now it looks like the worst of the storm for the Tampa-Orlando area will be later in the week (Thursday-Saturday) when it turns and makes landfall on the west coast and crosses. But looking like a rainy, windy week here.

I agree to wait and see if you can. It was supposed to hit here yesterday and the forecast kept changing and we had three perfect days. We have been there during a tropical storm before and lost just half a day but this storm is acting like a pinball so I can understand your hesitancy. Mid December is my favorite time to go...

I'm heading down Tuesday and just hoping for the best. I'm flying, so as long as my flight isn't cancelled we are going. We'll pack the ponchos and extra shoes and roll with it.
We are heading down Wednesday and just waiting it out to see if we need to change park days. Hoping it is not too bad and doesn’t mess with too many of our ADR’s and park days.

Reactions: ctl
I'm a local and I've been through a few storms here. For a tropical storm like Eta, I would plan on dealing with a bit of rain and wind. In the parks, some outdoor rides may have to close occasionally if it gets too windy or if there is lightning. Airlines will generally keep running flights in tropical storms, but flight times may shift. I'd bring rain gear, some additional change of clothes, and know what your indoor options are for the really rainy times.

Assuming Eta stays as a tropical storm, it's unlikely the parks will close. If the storm upgrades to a hurricane, then Disney might close the parks depending on the anticipated strength and location of the storms. Resorts/hotels do not normally close for Cat 1-2 storms- they know they are the shelter for many people.

We went last year when hurricane Dorian was scheduled to make a full on hit on Orlando. Was the best trip of all time. The storm scared all the crowds away. Storm was barely enough to take the heat off of the day. Disney felt super safe throughout and they made sure that if we actually got caught in the hurricane (which we didn't) everyone would be safe and have food throughout. I would totally go and have a great time

The forecast says that starting Friday and onward, no rain and sun. But I imagine that’s all depending on if the storm moves in the direction they’re predicting? I watched some youtube videos from the weather channel that were helpful to someone not well versed in this type of weather so that might help get some idea but even those folks can’t predict everything. We arrive Friday and I’m pretty nervous it will hang out longer and impact our days.. It’s so hard to reschedule though so I get the hesitation. Getting new ADRs alone right now would be hard..

We also arrive Thursday (first park day Friday at HS) -- we will not be modifying our dates/plans. We're very experienced at Disney, but have never done it in a full day of rain or winds. If we assume that Eta will hit, any suggestions/tips on how best to tackle the day in tropical storm conditions? This trip is just my wife and I, so no kids to wrangle.

I mean most of the attractions are indoors at Disney anyway. The parks rarely ever shut down for hurricanes. Plus, you'll probably have greatly reduced crowd levels. Why would you cancel?

I'm heading there Friday and just plan to wear waterproof shoes, take my umbrella and rain gear. If I could reschedule for better weather I would, but I can't change my flights. I've been in WDW before when it is hard rain and stormy and its not ideal at the best of times, but we used to crowd into stores etc, to avoid the worst of it. That won't be happening with social distancing now of course. I anticipate a lot of time in my room. Thankfully we have a balcony and I have lots of books to read on my Ipad. Good luck, whatever you decide!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter