True Blood Season Two **Spoilers Likely**

rpmdfw

<font color=red>I feel similarly about the cha-cha
Okay, so who else is watching True Blood this season (which premiered last night on HBO)?

I thought it was very interesting to find out who was the dead body in the back of the sherriff detective's car at the end of last season. That was a nice twist.

LOVING the Maryann character (I've been a fan of Michelle Forbes since her Ensign Ro days).

Sadly this episode didn't feature much of Ryan Kwanten without his clothes. And since he's gone and found religion it doesn't look like it's going to happen a lot this season. :headache:

Thought it was a great episode and can't wait for next week!

No one?

None of you are even curious to see if Jason can keep his shirt on?
jason-stackhouse-12.jpg

ryankwantenhbo.jpg

Shirtless-Jason-Stackhouse-Ryan-Kwanten-true-blood-4143234-494-714.jpg

ryan-kwanten-shirtless22.jpg

shirtless-jason-stackhouse_499x332.jpg

I mean, if nothing else, he's a great reason to watch! :rotfl2:

Okay, so who else is watching True Blood this season (which premiered last night on HBO)?

I thought it was very interesting to find out who was the dead body in the back of the sherriff detective's car at the end of last season. That was a nice twist.

LOVING the Maryann character (I've been a fan of Michelle Forbes since her Ensign Ro days).

Sadly this episode didn't feature much of Ryan Kwanten without his clothes. And since he's gone and found religion it doesn't look like it's going to happen a lot this season. :headache:

Thought it was a great episode and can't wait for next week!

Personally I am in the Vampire Bill camp, :cloud9::cloud9:
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!

I loved that is was not lafayette in the car.......i thought it was going to be.......but i hate that he is chained up in erics basement or where ever the heck he is...........
Love the maryann character, i liked michell forbes from her homicide days too :)
i can't wait to see where her character goes in this season!

Have you read all the books?

I'm betting faith found or not they'll find ways to strip Jason down. He spent what 2/3rds of last season sans at least two or more pieces of clothing :woohoo:? Perhaps the "Light" will rediscovery the long tradition of temple <hummmm> 'joybringers'

Also we still haven't seen Maryanne and Sookie interact in any substantial way, but I have a feeling something could be coming.

Possible Spoiler below:
I'm very interested in where they are going with Lafayette and his potential vampirism. Perhaps he'll come back and remove Bill's offspring

Have you read all the books?

Haven't read any of them. Have toyed with the idea of buying them, but my stack of books that I haven't read yet is still too big for me to buy any new ones.

We just bought the entire season 1 on DVD on Saturday and watched all 12 episodes. Signed up for HBO on Monday so we could start watching the 2nd season. I've done some reading about upcoming episodes and I guess Jason starts questioning the Church and it's beliefs pretty quickly, like 3rd episode so hopefully he'll be back to his naked ways in no time. :banana:

Haven't read any of them. Have toyed with the idea of buying them, but my stack of books that I haven't read yet is still too big for me to buy any new ones.

Not a huge fan of the TV series -- but the books are total trashy fun. Super easy quick reads. Sometimes, it seems like the TV series takes itself a little too seriously -- the books definitely do not. Frankly, it would be a gas for "Bubba" (the first book is worth reading just for this character -- he likes cats. tee-hee) to show up on HBO -- but I think that is pretty unlikely.

Not a huge fan of the TV series -- but the books are total trashy fun. Super easy quick reads. Sometimes, it seems like the TV series takes itself a little too seriously -- the books definitely do not. Frankly, it would be a gas for "Bubba" (the first book is worth reading just for this character -- he likes cats. tee-hee) to show up on HBO -- but I think that is pretty unlikely.

Does the series diverge a lot from the books, or is it fairly faithful to them?

Does the series diverge a lot from the books, or is it fairly faithful to them?

they''re kinda like a parallel universe -- same characters -- doing somewhat different things. For instance: Bill is sorta a computer nerd and Sookie is pretty big on her "Word of the Day" calender as a self improvement program. Definitely has the right flavor for contemporary small town southern/rural life.

You know -- I really like the theme music in the HBO series opener but I wish it didn't feature that lil baby dressed up in Klan robes. That is such an anachronism and aren't vampires scary enough? Dead possum and maggot covered fox are right on though -- you DO NOT know stinky roadkill until you've experienced SOUTHERN stinky roadkill...:rotfl2:

Jason is still very much Jason in the books.

they''re kinda like a parallel universe -- same characters -- doing somewhat different things. For instance: Bill is sorta a computer nerd and Sookie is pretty big on her "Word of the Day" calender as a self improvement program. Definitely has the right flavor for contemporary small town southern/rural life.

You know -- I really like the theme music in the HBO series opener but I wish it didn't feature that lil baby dressed up in Klan robes. That is such an anachronism and aren't vampires scary enough? Dead possum and maggot covered fox are right on though -- you DO NOT know stinky roadkill until you've experienced SOUTHERN stinky roadkill...:rotfl2:

Jason is still very much Jason in the books.

:scratchin

Sounds like I'm gonna end up having to read them, then. :thumbsup2

Is it just me, or does it look like Bill has lost some weight since last season?

Oh and yes, I'm looking forward to seeing MORE of Jason :woohoo:

Interesting episode!

This is shaping up to a really good season!

So, Maryanne? Is she a witch?

And HELLO Luke! He's a hottie! I just checked the actor (Wes Brown) on IMDB. I've never seen anything else he's done, but I'm hoping that they'll have him shirtless nearly as much as Jason Stackhouse! :rotfl2:

Blown away by the developments with Jessica and Lafayette.

Can't wait to see what happens with those to plotlines!

So, Maryanne? Is she a witch?

Nope she is a Menead

Meneads - Divine followers of Dionysus

Possessed by the God who inspires a mystic madness, they roam in the countryside, naked or covered of light veils, crowned with ivy they bore thyrsos, which is a staff that is crowned with ivy or wine. They abandon themslves to a frenetic dance, playing the flute and the drum.

They command to wild beast; for example in some representations they appear riding panthers
and carrying little wolves in their arms.

Their behavior and games are imitated by human Bacchants, women who follow the cult of Dionysus.
The first Meneads in the Legend are Nymphs who fed up Dionysus as a child.
They appear in various myths (Lycurgus, Orpheus Pentheus).

npmommie - I wouldn't have made the connection to the Meneads! Is the background from the series? Little details are different from the Menead stories/mythos I learned. A very interesting extension of the mytho to have her power effect Sam that way. i wonder if they're claiming his nature is more animal?

So Lafayette a vamp? Interesting, I wonder if he and Jason are being set up to confront each other. But only after we have some Jason/Luke fun...

npmommie - I wouldn't have made the connection to the Meneads! Is the background from the series? Little details are different from the Menead stories/mythos I learned. A very interesting extension of the mytho to have her power effect Sam that way. i wonder if they're claiming his nature is more animal?

So Lafayette a vamp? Interesting, I wonder if he and Jason are being set up to confront each other. But only after we have some Jason/Luke fun...

the menead comes in book 2 in the sookie series Living Dead in Dallas, here's a little i found online about it

If True Blood follows the book a maenad is a creature that requires offerings (or tributes) from other supernatural creatures who serve alcohol. If they’re not properly honored they tend to get angry and cause madness in people (supernatural and human) or even kill them. In the book the maenad attacks Sookie as a way of sending a message to Eric, the owner of Fangtasia (a bar that serves alcohol). This is the maenad’s way of telling Eric that he has to pay her a tribute. Eric knows all too well how vicious a maenad can be - several years earlier he’d experienced a maenad who caused madness in a vampire. The vampire went on a crazed rampage and eventually had to be staked.

Here’s how the maenad is described to Sookie in the book Living Dead in Dallas:
Bacchus was the god of the grape, of course, so bars are very interesting to maenads. In fact, so interesting that they don’t like other creatures of darkness becoming involved. Maenads believe that the violence sparked by the consumption of alcohol belongs to them; that’s what they feed off, now that no one formally worships their god. And they are attracted to pride.”

Here’s more:
“What’s she gonna do if you don’t pay her tribute?” Sookie asked.
“Send her madness.” Bill sounded worried.
“Into the bar? Merlotte’s?”
The vampires eyed one another.
“Or into one of us. It has happened. The Halloween massacre of 1876, in St. Petersburg.”
They all nodded solemnly.
“I was there,” Eric said. “It took twenty of us to clean up. And we had to stake Gregory, it took all of us to do that. The maenad, Phryne, received tribute after that, you can be sure.”

In the books, the maenad travels with a large hog. Sound familiar? Yes, we’ve seen Maryann Forrester with a hog more than once in True Blood Season 1.

That’s why Sam (a bar owner) is so spooked when he sees Maryann Forrester. Remember the scene where he takes money from his safe, as if he’s planning to leave? In all likelihood, he’s planning to give the money to Maryann (the maenad) as a tribute.

Nope she is a Menead

Meneads - Divine followers of Dionysus

Possessed by the God who inspires a mystic madness, they roam in the countryside, naked or covered of light veils, crowned with ivy they bore thyrsos, which is a staff that is crowned with ivy or wine. They abandon themslves to a frenetic dance, playing the flute and the drum.

They command to wild beast; for example in some representations they appear riding panthers
and carrying little wolves in their arms.

Their behavior and games are imitated by human Bacchants, women who follow the cult of Dionysus.
The first Meneads in the Legend are Nymphs who fed up Dionysus as a child.
They appear in various myths (Lycurgus, Orpheus Pentheus).

This makes total sense to me! When Maryanne had bar worked into a frenzy it very much reminded me of Euripides' The Bacchae. And I metioned the Bachhae to the friends I was watching it with.

Jason is nice to watch. I don't mind that even in church camp he cant keep his shirt on. There looks like there could be some "bro" tension at camp.

Cant wait to see the Lafayette outcome.

the menead comes in book 2 in the sookie series Living Dead in Dallas, here's a little i found online about it

How interesting, they've twisted the mythos just a touch from the tradition to tie it in more tightly with the story arc by seting up multiple morally ambiguous factions. This could be a very fun season

Thanks for the reply!

what did you think of tonight??? I don't want to say too much in case anyone didn't watch yet :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter