Trying To decide Where to purchase me HOME RESORT PLEASE HELP

Really, I have always been leery of totally going with SAP/SS/BLT points if you don't love those resorts. We are tied to the kids' schedules that are peak weeks, sounds like you are, too. People are freaking out about 11-month availability in December of 2024 at their HOME resorts and people walking reservations. If you are stuck going school vacations/holiday weeks, you'll need to be where you love.
Summer break is ok, spring break too, because it's spread out over so much time. But Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year's, oh my! It's pretty clear which resorts are most popular over those holidays, and a lot of the frenzy right now is people wanting the Christmas experience with low point charts and low crowds in early December (not us, kids still in school), and others walking reservations to secure a home resort backup for Christmas week (*probably* not necessary except at the most popular resorts). Then, at 7 months, there will be shifts, and people will set up their wait lists, and things will change again. Trips do get canceled and modified.

(Last Thanksgiving we canceled our VGF OG studio, about 3 months in advance because of MIL's funeral. That studio never showed up on the booking tool, so I hope we made someone's Thanksgiving week)
Lastly, don't count on being in a studio forever with the kids. 1b/2b/3b are amazing, and it's impossible for us to go back to all sharing a room and not having a kitchen/laundry to get settled. Buy enough points to get a 1b where you really love to be. IF you have leftover points (you won't,) you can always do a longer/nicer/more frequent trip rotation.
I wish I had really known this when we first bought in (BLT) - and gotten a total of 200-250 points there to start. (Most of their resale contracts are 160 points). When we started bought in, ODD was 5ish and the baby was a baby. We'd already rented points at a few DVC resorts so we had our favorites (so we thought). A studio was fine ... so we thought.

The first time we stepped into a BLT 1br, my child, who'd only ever stayed in hotel rooms with 2 queen beds, at best, exclaimed, "OH MY GOODNESS THIS ISTHE MOST AMAZING HOTEL ROOM I'VE EVER SEEN!") Sadly, they get spoiled quickly and now want Murphy beds, at least, instead of sofa beds, if we are putting them in the living room. 🤣

You don’t say if your kids are the same sex or not. As they get older that goes into whether you regularly need 2 or 3 beds. The new cabins have 4 beds, which is more than any of the 1 bedrooms or studios so that Is a plus. Some of the 1 bedrooms have 2 bathrooms which may also be a plus down the road. I would also be mindful of the number of points at each resort for your stay, unless you have unlimited resources. Once the kids reach age 10 food costs go way up as they are considered adults for Disney dining. Good Luck on your decision. We have so many great memories from our DVC stays.
Ive got one of each! So this is very helpful and something I haven't thought about! Right now they like to sleep in my bed but then they get older....

Summer break is ok, spring break too, because it's spread out over so much time. But Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year's, oh my! It's pretty clear which resorts are most popular over those holidays, and a lot of the frenzy right now is people wanting the Christmas experience with low point charts and low crowds in early December (not us, kids still in school), and others walking reservations to secure a home resort backup for Christmas week (*probably* not necessary except at the most popular resorts). Then, at 7 months, there will be shifts, and people will set up their wait lists, and things will change again. Trips do get canceled and modified.

(Last Thanksgiving we canceled our VGF OG studio, about 3 months in advance because of MIL's funeral. That studio never showed up on the booking tool, so I hope we made someone's Thanksgiving week)

I wish I had really known this when we first bought in (BLT) - and gotten a total of 200-250 points there to start. (Most of their resale contracts are 160 points). When we started bought in, ODD was 5ish and the baby was a baby. We'd already rented points at a few DVC resorts so we had our favorites (so we thought). A studio was fine ... so we thought.

The first time we stepped into a BLT 1br, my child, who'd only ever stayed in hotel rooms with 2 queen beds, at best, exclaimed, "OH MY GOODNESS THIS ISTHE MOST AMAZING HOTEL ROOM I'VE EVER SEEN!") Sadly, they get spoiled quickly and now want Murphy beds, at least, instead of sofa beds, if we are putting them in the living room. 🤣
hahah omg this will be my kids! Can I add on points at the same resort if I want to later- sounds like the Rivera is for us

Ive got one of each! So this is very helpful and something I haven't thought about! Right now they like to sleep in my bed but then they get older....
We have one of each, Irish twins, and they're both crazy tall at 10 and 11. Both like to meet up with friends on school vacations, too, which benefits my son (boy friends seem to always meet up with us,) but we bring my niece and/or female cousin, too, and they like to hang with my daughter.

Right now our son takes the trundle and our daughter will share a bed with her cousins, but we're already anticipating moving on from 1b to 2b in a few more years when they want to sleep late as teenagers and we want our living room back for coffee and breakfast and not trying to be quiet in the living room area.

My husband and I LOVE having a door to our bedroom and the king bed. We have privacy, noise canceling, and room to spread out in the bathroom and bedside desk. It's nice for when some of us want to nap, too, and not be bothered by folks coming and going, too.

I loved Riviera during after our 1st stay this past August. Loved the skyliner, the style, the food, the pool. Did not mind the bus to MK. Epcot is our favorite park. We also have youngish kids.

I say buy where you love and take advantage of the incentives currently offered! I would figure out what's best for you depending on the room you prefer. We bought Copper Creek with studios in mind. Now we realize we will prefer 1-bedroom soon although we have made it work with the murphy beds.

We also had a great view from a standard view at Riviera so don't worry too much about the extra points for "preferred." That's my take.

hahah omg this will be my kids! Can I add on points at the same resort if I want to later- sounds like the Rivera is for us
First part about being a Riviera owner.. is it's spelt Riviera. Not Riveria or Rivera like the family from Coco :earboy2: . But anyways you can add Riviera down the line; however, once it sells out in the next 3-5 years, you'll pretty much be subject to sold out pricing which is a lot higher than a resort in active sales. You can buy Riviera resale after the resort is sold out but the points would only be able to be used at Riviera.

Last edited:
Well one thing to consider since it seems like you are going direct. Prices go up on the 31st. They may offer similar incentives but something to consider. You can always get a contract together on the 31st and see what deals are offered the next day and Disney will update it. You also have 10 days to back out. I wouldn’t rush this decision but just know the prices change soon.

Well one thing to consider since it seems like you are going direct. Prices go up on the 31st. They may offer similar incentives but something to consider. You can always get a contract together on the 31st and see what deals are offered the next day and Disney will update it. You also have 10 days to back out. I wouldn’t rush this decision but just know the prices change soon.
Fort Wilderness Cabins go on sale 2/1 or 2/2 right? *IF* a February UY works for you, I would suggest you getting a Riviera contract set up before prices go up or change on 1/29 (the date I had in my email), but a few days before that. You'll still be in your 10 day rescission period when they drop new pricing for Fort Wilderness (and possibly Riviera).

Why did I mention Feb UY? if you "buy" in January, you would also get the full allotment of February 2023 points, which you could then use, rent out, or "sell" back to Disney (Magical Beginnings?) at around $20pp. and then come Feb 1 2024 you would have another year's allotment of points. And you'd pay slightly prorated dues in February (?) but you'd be getting effectively 2 years' worth of points but only paying dues once in 2024. Some people had a little trouble last summer with VGF points because they thought they had until the last day of the month, but really I think it is 5-6 days before the end of the month that you'd need to get all that set up. It would still give you enough time to rescind. My poor guide rewrote our VGF contracts 2x (3 sets of contracts in total) over 2 months because 2nd contract the next month was the best deal, and then when we thought about it we decided we wanted more points than originally written --> 3rd contract. And we split our purchase into 2 contracts. So 6x signing, 2x paying ...

And buying around Jan 24/25 would still give you enough time to take advantage of MBs and then rescind if better deals drop for February. (This might even be better if you had a March or later UY because if you switched to February you'd also lose 2023 points.)

We have 2 resale contracts at BLT and 1 direct contract at OKW (bought the cheapest and fewest number of points to get blue card a few years ago). BLT was our favorite resort a few years ago, so we bought there with the intentions of mostly staying there. Well, a few years later, we rarely stay there, even though we love it. We find ourselves booking BLT at 11 months and then changing within 7 months, just to try other resorts. We have found that we like them all. Each of them have things we like.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably buy all SSR resale. It is a good value with the price of points and dues. We will end up swapping resorts within 7 months anyway, so 11 month booking window doesn't really matter to us. We also like the original resorts over the new ones, so not being able to stay at the new resorts doesn't really matter to us either.

The average timeframe for DVC ownership is 7 years, so at least do the math on whatever you decide. Look on the resale sites to get an idea of what you will get for the contract if you decide to sell it. I would only buy direct if I was ok with the hit you will take if you decide to sell it. If you buy resale, there is a good chance you would not lose anything or may even make a profit if you decide to sell in a few years. If you do the math and still choose Riviera, then great. Just make an informed decision, and don't assume you will keep it forever. You may, or may not.

If you love BWV, I don't think BWV resale is a bad choice, even with the 2042 expiration. The points charts at BWV are great! For example, a week in a standard one-bedroom at BWV in December is 180 points. A week in a one bedroom standard view room for RIV in December is 259 points. You could buy 180 BWV points for around $110/point resale or $21k total, including closing costs. Using the DVC add-on tool, I checked the price to add 259 points at Riviera direct. After incentives, fees, and closing costs, the total comes out to be about $51k.

In summary, just do the math and make an informed decision. If you do that, you can't go wrong with DVC. It has been great for us.

BLT was our favorite resort a few years ago, so we bought there with the intentions of mostly staying there. Well, a few years later, we rarely stay there, even though we love it. We find ourselves booking BLT at 11 months and then changing within 7 months, just to try other resorts. We have found that we like them all. Each of them have things we like.
We thought so as well, but after owning about 4-5 years we have started doing the same thing - booking BLT at 11 months and then moving at 7 months - usually to BCV, BWV, AKV. I expect that after the BLT refurb is done, especially if it has Murphy beds, we will stay there more often. I love being able to walk to MK (and I've done the GVF - MK walk and it is NOT the same - it's more scenic in all senses of the word!) and we love the California Grill and Steakhouse 71 (although we loved it more as The Wave).

I had a friend on these boards who bought SSR resale around the same time we bought BLT resale. We were both wondering if we'd made the right choice. I think we each did; BLT resale was quite undervalued at the time, and so the delta in price per point was not so much.

Fort Wilderness Cabins go on sale 2/1 or 2/2 right? *IF* a February UY works for you, I would suggest you getting a Riviera contract set up before prices go up or change on 1/29 (the date I had in my email), but a few days before that. You'll still be in your 10 day rescission period when they drop new pricing for Fort Wilderness (and possibly Riviera).

Why did I mention Feb UY? if you "buy" in January, you would also get the full allotment of February 2023 points, which you could then use, rent out, or "sell" back to Disney (Magical Beginnings?) at around $20pp. and then come Feb 1 2024 you would have another year's allotment of points. And you'd pay slightly prorated dues in February (?) but you'd be getting effectively 2 years' worth of points but only paying dues once in 2024. Some people had a little trouble last summer with VGF points because they thought they had until the last day of the month, but really I think it is 5-6 days before the end of the month that you'd need to get all that set up. It would still give you enough time to rescind. My poor guide rewrote our VGF contracts 2x (3 sets of contracts in total) over 2 months because 2nd contract the next month was the best deal, and then when we thought about it we decided we wanted more points than originally written --> 3rd contract. And we split our purchase into 2 contracts. So 6x signing, 2x paying ...

And buying around Jan 24/25 would still give you enough time to take advantage of MBs and then rescind if better deals drop for February. (This might even be better if you had a March or later UY because if you switched to February you'd also lose 2023 points.)

You have to purchase at least 4 days prior to the end of a UY to take advantage of the MB program...so someone would need to be under contract with a FEB UY no later than January 26th...

Playing devil’s advocate here, let me make a case for a 2042 resort resale.

1. I don’t know anything about your family’s financial position, but based on the age of your kids you are probably a young family. For many young families cost is a huge factor. Resale is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than direct, and the points charts on the older resorts are also a lot more user friendly. Just for fun I looked up the cost of a 2BD in the summer. For a week a preferred view Riviera 2BD is 435 points. The same room at Beach Club is 314 points. Someone else can correct the numbers but let’s say that you can get Riviera direct around $175/point with incentives. You’d probably want a 250 point contract just to be safe. That’s about $45,000 when it’s all said and done for an every-other-year trip, or 2 years out of 3 if you stay in a 1BD. Beach Club points can probably be had for about $125 (or less - I’m trying to be conservative) resale. You’d want 175-200 points for the 2BD. That’s closer to $25,000 even if you spring for more points - or $20,000 cheaper - and you’d be able to go much more frequently.

2. Your kids are still young enough that you don’t really know what kind of Disney family you are going to be. Eg I have a coworker who owns at BC and she says they are already “over Disney” now that they are teenagers and would rather do other things on their vacations. My kids would stay forever if they could. Choosing to go to Disney definitely some commitment, especially as activities get busier. We just did our last January trip because it’s getting too hard to pull our son out of school. Unfortunately this means we’ll be stuck going during Jersey week (without my husband) for the next several years. Summers are too hot, and even if they weren’t I already have most of summer 2025 AND summer 2026 committed to at this point!

3. With a 2042 resort you “finish” with Disney right around the time when your kids are moving into adult-hood. You could very well be in a position where you don’t want to have the responsibilities of dues between when you have kids leave home and when you have grandkids to spoil.

4. We really don’t know how Disney/DVC will evolve over the next 20-40 years.

There is certainly nothing wrong with buying Riviera direct - heck, we have this conversation all the time - but I don’t think the argument against the 2042s is quite as clear as most people make it out to be.

One thing to consider is how you usually get to WDW, if you drive or fly can make a big difference in how you view your resort. SSR, OKW, and AKV become a lot more attractive, IMHO, if you have your own car. And, if you drive and use your car a lot, places like BWV, especially, can be a nightmare for car access.

This makes me so nervous haha

Playing devil’s advocate here, let me make a case for a 2042 resort resale.

1. I don’t know anything about your family’s financial position, but based on the age of your kids you are probably a young family. For many young families cost is a huge factor. Resale is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than direct, and the points charts on the older resorts are also a lot more user friendly. Just for fun I looked up the cost of a 2BD in the summer. For a week a preferred view Riviera 2BD is 435 points. The same room at Beach Club is 314 points. Someone else can correct the numbers but let’s say that you can get Riviera direct around $175/point with incentives. You’d probably want a 250 point contract just to be safe. That’s about $45,000 when it’s all said and done for an every-other-year trip, or 2 years out of 3 if you stay in a 1BD. Beach Club points can probably be had for about $125 (or less - I’m trying to be conservative) resale. You’d want 175-200 points for the 2BD. That’s closer to $25,000 even if you spring for more points - or $20,000 cheaper - and you’d be able to go much more frequently.

2. Your kids are still young enough that you don’t really know what kind of Disney family you are going to be. Eg I have a coworker who owns at BC and she says they are already “over Disney” now that they are teenagers and would rather do other things on their vacations. My kids would stay forever if they could. Choosing to go to Disney definitely some commitment, especially as activities get busier. We just did our last January trip because it’s getting too hard to pull our son out of school. Unfortunately this means we’ll be stuck going during Jersey week (without my husband) for the next several years. Summers are too hot, and even if they weren’t I already have most of summer 2025 AND summer 2026 committed to at this point!

3. With a 2042 resort you “finish” with Disney right around the time when your kids are moving into adult-hood. You could very well be in a position where you don’t want to have the responsibilities of dues between when you have kids leave home and when you have grandkids to spoil.

4. We really don’t know how Disney/DVC will evolve over the next 20-40 years.

There is certainly nothing wrong with buying Riviera direct - heck, we have this conversation all the time - but I don’t think the argument against the 2042s is quite as clear as most people make it out to be.
This is super helpful- thank you. YEs we are a young family, and cost is a huge issue- hence why I was tempted with the incentives.... but honestly I go to Disney for Epcot, my kids like MK.... but youre correct, in a few years???? Maybe they'll want to go to another place... Im looking into 150 pts to stay around a week during food and wine- wed want a 1bdrm if possible.

One thing to consider is how you usually get to WDW, if you drive or fly can make a big difference in how you view your resort. SSR, OKW, and AKV become a lot more attractive, IMHO, if you have your own car. And, if you drive and use your car a lot, places like BWV, especially, can be a nightmare for car access.
we drive becasue we live in South Carolina

This is super helpful- thank you. YEs we are a young family, and cost is a huge issue- hence why I was tempted with the incentives.... but honestly I go to Disney for Epcot, my kids like MK.... but youre correct, in a few years???? Maybe they'll want to go to another place... Im looking into 150 pts to stay around a week during food and wine- wed want a 1bdrm if possible.
If cost is a huge issue, you have young kids that love MK, and you know you want the space of a 1Bd (smart call)…. then I’m going to be “that guy” and say consider BLT resale.

Cheap points until an upcoming refurb makes it a value buy, long contract, access to the legacy resorts at 7m (BW,BC,GF all on the list), cheap dues, walking distance to MK, monorail to Epcot, large rooms, 2 bathrooms in a 1BD Villa.

If cost is a huge issue, you have young kids that love MK, and you know you want the space of a 1Bd (smart call)…. then I’m going to be “that guy” and say consider BLT resale.

Cheap points until an upcoming refurb makes it a value buy, long contract, access to the legacy resorts at 7m (BW,BC,GF all on the list), cheap dues, walking distance to MK, monorail to Epcot, large rooms, 2 bathrooms in a 1BD Villa.
And if you drive anyway you can always drive to the other 3 parks, which is the biggest hassle about being at a MK resort.

We are not a BLT family but we stayed there this past trip and I definitely see the appeal.

We thought so as well, but after owning about 4-5 years we have started doing the same thing - booking BLT at 11 months and then moving at 7 months - usually to BCV, BWV, AKV. I expect that after the BLT refurb is done, especially if it has Murphy beds, we will stay there more often. I love being able to walk to MK (and I've done the GVF - MK walk and it is NOT the same - it's more scenic in all senses of the word!) and we love the California Grill and Steakhouse 71 (although we loved it more as The Wave).

I had a friend on these boards who bought SSR resale around the same time we bought BLT resale. We were both wondering if we'd made the right choice. I think we each did; BLT resale was quite undervalued at the time, and so the delta in price per point was not so much.
So far, I have just waited until 7 months to see what was available and booked then.

We have traveled late August, so I think more is available.

sorry BLT- is bay lake tower right? haha learning the lingo still

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter