TS DDP Reviews - Aug 13-24 - with a few pics!

jbdreamer

DIS Veteran
Finally, my dinning reviews for August 13-21 on the Free DDP.

This was our first time using the DDP, and we were quite impressed! Usually we stress about how much we are spending, and often never order what we really want. This was a wonderful stress free experience, and I will gladly pay for the DDP on our next trip. Disney sold us!

The Cast:
Me - 25
DH - 24
DM - 48
DB - 11 (the picky eater)

JAPAN
The lobby was very crowded and loud, but thankfully we were seated within 10 minutes. For starters everyone got a dish of Seaweed Salad – it had a wonderful sesame oil flavor, but was very chewy, so I didn’t really eat it. We then got a choice of Salad or Soup. I got the Salad and thought it had way too much dressing. Everyone seemed to enjoy the Soup. Our chef was pretty good (I’ve seen better, but also much worse.) Overall we were pretty entertained. For dinner we ordered 2 Steak & Shrimp plates which were good, and the Filet Minion which was excellent! The veggies were pretty good too! And then choice of ice cream for dessert – which was just basic ice cream. My picky DB didn’t order anything but a soda :rolleyes: , but the wait staff was very friendly and insisted we didn’t have to pay for it! We left feeling very satisfied.

BOMA

We left our hotel early expecting it would take an hour to transfer from bus to bus to get to AKL. However we met a very kind AK bus driver who drove us straight to AKL. We spent the extra time touring the resort and watching the animals. We checked in 30 minutes before or ADR, but we were seated immediately. Now I have eaten a Boma a few times before and it was always my favorite. I don’t know if they changed the menu, or they had an off night, but we were under-whelmed by the food. Everything was ok, but nothing was great, except for the desserts. Can’t beat those Zebra Domes. There was a mango tart that was very good too. My picky DB highly recommends the Mac & Cheese – he said it was excellent! :rolleyes:

LE CELLIER
This was by far our favorite dinner – even though we had the longest wait (30 minutes) and the ambiance was killed by the volume of people packed into the restaurant. It was very noisy, and the waiters were so busy running around in circles like chickens with their heads cut off that I actually got dizzy watching them. However the food more then made up for it. We got the Beef Kabobs and Shrimp Cocktails to start. Both excellent, and the bread basket was good as always. Then we all got the Mushroom Filet Mignon for dinner. This honestly was the best steak I have ever had in my life – actually we all though that. It was tender and full of flavor – we were all in heaven. For dessert we shared the Signature Plate which was a sampling of Crème Brulee, Chocolate Club Cake and Sorbet. Next time I would just get the Crème Brulee – it was caramelized in maple sugar! We left feeling very full, and very satisfied.

Mushroom Filet Mignon
MushroomFillet.gif

Signature Dessert
DessertSampler.gif

HOLLYWOOD & VINE
We choose to eat here to get the Fantasmic Package, and because my DB is picky, I was sure we could all find something we liked. What a mistake! This was one of the worst buffets I have ever been to. I can honestly say Old Country Buffet is better. Nothing was memorable except for the children at the table behind us who were fighting and eventually one girl kicked here sister’s chair over causing her to fall into our table. The girl and I both screamed, and the entire restaurant actually went silent for a moment because it caused such a ruckus! Thankfully no one was hurt.

CALFORNIA GRILL
This was our most relaxing meal and a great way to end our trip. We got all dressed up but we were slightly disappointed when we saw people in t-shirts and Mickey hats dinning. I thought there was a dress code, but apparently it is not enforce. Our waiter was very attentive, and was wonderful and describing the food. To start I got the BLT Flat Bread, DM got the Sushi Plate, and DH got the Cheese Platter. All were wonderful, but the Cheese Platter was our favorite. For Dinner we got Steak and Pork Tenderloin. My DB had the Kids Pizza which we paid for OOP. We all enjoyed them except my DH, who complained the steak was overcooked. Finally for dessert we had the Berry Tart, A Banana Dessert, and I had Cherries Chocolate & Cherries. My DH said he has never seen me devour something so fast. This was one of the best desserts I have ever had – It was warm chocolate cake, with a molten chocolate sauce inside, served over cherry sauce! I have been craving it ever since. We finished the evening watching Wishes from the roof of the Contemporary.

Sushi Plate
Sushi.gif

Cheese Platter
Cheese.gif

Pork Tenderlin
PorkTenderloin.gif

Berrie Tart
BerrieTort.gif

Banana Dessert
BannanaDessert.gif

Cherries, Chocolate & Cherries
Cherries-Chocolate-Cherries.gif

Free Dinning was a blast, unfortunately I think everyone was there on free dinning which caused the restaurants to very crowded and very loud. So if your going anytime soon, be prepared. Thankfully the food was pretty fantastic!

I am excited to be going back the last week in September to try a few new restaurants and revisit a few of my favorites!

Great reviews and pictures, thanks for posting. :tink:

Loved your review. I went to Japan with my brother in a wheel chair over Labor day. I think we had the same chef. She seemed much more on her game this time. The first time she overcooked my steak and she didn't seem real peppy. It was a very entertaining show and the people at the table next to us cheered too! We had the soup( It was very bitter) and the edame . It was different. They are served cold in a bowl. You pop the seeds out of the shell and put the pod in a seperate bowl. It was ok. I guess their appetizers aren't their strong suit. I had fresh pineapple for desert. It was very good. The ddp is great. By the 2nd trip I got over feeling like I had to get the most for my money. I would definately do again. By the way your picky db is going to be 13 next month!

Love your reviews and pics. :thumbsup2 Thanks so much!

Question: The sushi platter you photographed that your DM got, just to confirm: was that an appetizer on the dining plan (thought that's what you said? If so, WOW, looks like alot of food. popcorn::

rlduvall said:
Love your reviews and pics. :thumbsup2 Thanks so much!

Question: The sushi platter you photographed that your DM got, just to confirm: was that an appetizer on the dining plan (thought that's what you said? If so, WOW, looks like alot of food. popcorn::

Yes, everything on Califonia Grill's menu is on the Dining Plan. However it does take 2 TS credits to eat there. I think it was well worth it, our bill for 3 people was $270. :blush:

thanks so much for the review. I'm disappointed to hear that Boma wasn't up to par.

About CG -- I didn't realize you could get a cheese platter as an appetizer -- it hasn't been on any menus i've seen recently. It looks really yummy! how was the pork cooked? i love pork, but underdone pork scares me!

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

llqool said:
thanks so much for the review. I'm disappointed to hear that Boma wasn't up to par.

About CG -- I didn't realize you could get a cheese platter as an appetizer -- it hasn't been on any menus i've seen recently. It looks really yummy! how was the pork cooked? i love pork, but underdone pork scares me!

Yes the cheese platter was an appetizer or a dessert. I think it was $16. I saw it served at almost every table. :)

The pork was cooked to medium - so yes it was a little pink. The waiter even warned me that pork would be served at medium, and asked if it was ok. I trusted the chef, and it turned out beautifuly.

jbdreamer said:
I am excited to be going back the last week in September to try a few new restaurants and revisit a few of my favorites!
You are so fortunate to be going back so soon. I too will be there last week of September. I am salivating...your pictures and reviews are very tantalizing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter