TSA pulled my 6 year old for additional screening

TCups4Me

DIS Article Contributor
I hesitated a long time about posting this. I contacted the TSA about it and my local government officials. TSA said it was an error and apologized but I am still left wondering why we passed through 3 female agents who didn't think it was odd at all that a 6 year old was pulled. Sounds like the new norm to me.

This is a heads up to families of what they could experience.

My family traveled on Friday, July 18, 2014 from Fort Lauderdale to our home airport. We have flown with our children about a dozen times and the TSA agents have frequently been sensitive to the fact that the security process can be disconcerting for kids. DS6 has a keen awareness of his surroundings. Prior to flying, I always show him pictures of the process and remind him of our past experiences to alleviate his anxiety leading up to the event.

The TSA agents at FLL in Terminal 1 were rushed and abrupt. After presenting our boarding passes, we waited to pass through the monitor. A gentleman in front of us had to pass through several times after setting off the alarm. He was finally allowed to pass and DS6 was next. He knew that he was to go first, followed by his little brother, and that they would stand right there while I walked through. Unfortunately, this is not how it proceeded. Immediately upon passing through, the female agent announced that DS6 was chosen for additional screening and sent him to the side of the monitor where he was separated from me by a window. The look on his face was dreadful. DS4 passed through and was told to stand by his brother. Once I passed through I was able to stand with DS6 while DS4 went with my husband.

My son kept asking me what was happening. He knew something wasn't right. I had no idea what was about to happen and that worried me too. In hindsight, I wish I would have spoken up. But at the time, I kept thinking that if I said something then we would be treated even more criminally and that it would only lead to upsetting him further.

We were directed to a desk where another female agent proceeded to put on blue protective gloves. This is the point where I told her that my son has autism and that this is not a good idea. We still did not know what was coming next. She simply told him to put out his hands and proceeded to wipe them and sent us on our way. This whole time I kept telling my son that we had been asked to help out for a minute and I hid all my fears and anger.

I have always been of the opinion that the minor airport security intrusions are well worth any inconvenience if they keep the public safe. However, this crosses the line. He should not be subjected to this kind of treatment. He should not have been separated from me, even for a minute. As his mother, my permission should have been sought before anyone touched him.

As a parent I can understand how gut wrenching this had to be. I'm not sure if it's the same thing that happened, but I was flying out of either MCO or Tulsa and was pulled, my hands were checked. Apparently my moms carry on I borrowed must have had sweat or residue from her nitro pills on the handle. That tiny bit alerted and they had to investigated further.

The woman was kind and told me after, what had alerted them, not how, and the possibility of medication.
I'm glad you thought quick to calm your son making him feel like a helper. I will remember that if it ever happens with my grandchildren.

It can be scary, but there are situations out there where the worse could actually happen.

Sadly, it's the "old norm," where the airport security screeners don't know their protocols and most travelers are afraid to question the airport security screeners for fear, as OP put it, of being "...treated more criminally."

FLL is notorious for not following protocol. OP was fortunate that the ETD did not put out a false positive as appeared to have happened in the PP.

:sad2:

Honestly, I hate to say it, but I think TSA did the right thing. Unfortunately, the terrorists out there are not above using and murdering children.

The scanners they use detect any anomaly, could simply be a wound from falling down that is scabbed over or anything else. But they don't know for sure without further screening.

Given that you said he is Autistic, there could be something that was picked up by the scanner that warranted further investigation.

Unfortunately a terrorist would not give permission and would do whatever they could to cause the most disruption they can.

So, they probably did do the right thing, especially if you didn't let security know he is Autistic before he went through the scanner.

It's sad that we have to do these things, but unfortunately we need to keep everyone safe.

he was swabbed for gun powder residue.
its actually not uncommon for someone of any age to be swabbed.
its my opinion that you are overreacting.
sure they should have been a bit more sensitive and explained what they were doing but its not like they "took" him from you.
also this should show you that you should go first so that you are already through the process before he is in case this situation were to arise again.
it would seem that you are making more of a deal out of this than necessary.
if you don't want to go through the TSA check points then i suggest you don't fly

I truly do not understand the issue.

" Prior to flying, I always show him pictures of the process and remind him of our past experiences to alleviate his anxiety leading up to the event."

Therefore, he was prepared. Unless you told him that past experiences would be THIS experience, so he wasn't expecting this.

Since DS could walk through on his own I've prepared him that someday he might get pulled aside for extra screening. No one at the airport knows who he is. No one knows who WE are. We could be horrible awful people who have been concocting things in our basement (note: we live in a condo. no basement. no concocting. just saying that they don't know this.). If we are, then DS would likely have residue on him. If I'm that awful person and I'm in front of you and going to be on YOUR plane, wouldn't you WANT my family to be checked out?

He was behind a window. You could see him and I assume he could see you. He had his sibling there. If you had gone through first you would have already been there. I get that it's hard with more kids than adults to figure out who goes first, and in the case when I travel with my son without DH, DS does go through first, but either way could actually work out.

His hands were swabbed. This was a problem?

I prepare my son to have the full stand there in jumping jack position patdown, and that he really oughtn't giggle even if it tickles. If it ever happens it will be absolutely no big deal because I've never felt that kids shouldn't be checked out just like adults, and because I've prepared us both.

One time going through LAX DH alarmed and was sent off to the right. Then DS went through and stood aside. I went through and I alarmed. Their metal detectors were set to 11 that day, as it turned out to be DH's zipper and my 2" goody-brand BARRETTE. I know this because when I took out the barrette I didn't set off the alarm anymore (and because the zipper area is where the wand buzzed on DH). For a short moment they wanted me to go off to the right as well, and I had to kindly and clearly say "wait, I have my young son here, and his father is over there so we cannot leave him alone". But then the lady behind me pointed out my barrette and I took it out and walked through just fine.

Things can get chaotic at airports. We have to stay zen. And if that means we have prepared our kids to be fully checked out, then so be it. And we need to speak up clearly and calmly to make sure it's known if we are the only adults. (did they by chance think the man in front of you was the father of the kids?)

I think its sad but needed nowadays. Like a pp said they don't know you, you could be some "bad guy". No one is or should be exempt. The only real thing I would be annoyed with is that they should have waited for you before the made your son move away to be tested.

I think it's terrible that people think this kind of heavy handed approach to security is tolerable and "normal". This is "security theater" designed to make it seem like they're actually doing something productive.

There are other countries where security agents are better trained and use different procedures. We should definitely speak up and complain whenever these things happen. It's the only way things will change for the better.

I think it's terrible that people think this kind of heavy handed approach to security is tolerable and "normal". This is "security theater" designed to make it seem like they're actually doing something productive.

There are other countries where security agents are better trained and use different procedures. We should definitely speak up and complain whenever these things happen. It's the only way things will change for the better.

Unfortunately in this day and age it is "normal" and is expected, not so hard for would be terrorists to get their kids to carry the "goods".

Airport security are doing something productive, they are keeping us safe in the air via security screening.

I have no hesitation in having my daughter tested. Basically if you have nothing to hide, then you should have no problem in being tested.

My daughter actually thinks it is great when she gets pulled aside for the bomb testing.

To the OP your son now has an amazing story to tell his friends as not everyone gets that "special" treatment

I hesitated a long time about posting this. I contacted the TSA about it and my local government officials. TSA said it was an error and apologized but I am still left wondering why we passed through 3 female agents who didn't think it was odd at all that a 6 year old was pulled. Sounds like the new norm to me.

This is a heads up to families of what they could experience.

My family traveled on Friday, July 18, 2014 from Fort Lauderdale to our home airport. We have flown with our children about a dozen times and the TSA agents have frequently been sensitive to the fact that the security process can be disconcerting for kids. DS6 has a keen awareness of his surroundings. Prior to flying, I always show him pictures of the process and remind him of our past experiences to alleviate his anxiety leading up to the event.

The TSA agents at FLL in Terminal 1 were rushed and abrupt. After presenting our boarding passes, we waited to pass through the monitor. A gentleman in front of us had to pass through several times after setting off the alarm. He was finally allowed to pass and DS6 was next. He knew that he was to go first, followed by his little brother, and that they would stand right there while I walked through. Unfortunately, this is not how it proceeded. Immediately upon passing through, the female agent announced that DS6 was chosen for additional screening and sent him to the side of the monitor where he was separated from me by a window. The look on his face was dreadful. DS4 passed through and was told to stand by his brother. Once I passed through I was able to stand with DS6 while DS4 went with my husband.

My son kept asking me what was happening. He knew something wasn't right. I had no idea what was about to happen and that worried me too. In hindsight, I wish I would have spoken up. But at the time, I kept thinking that if I said something then we would be treated even more criminally and that it would only lead to upsetting him further.

We were directed to a desk where another female agent proceeded to put on blue protective gloves. This is the point where I told her that my son has autism and that this is not a good idea. We still did not know what was coming next. She simply told him to put out his hands and proceeded to wipe them and sent us on our way. This whole time I kept telling my son that we had been asked to help out for a minute and I hid all my fears and anger.

I have always been of the opinion that the minor airport security intrusions are well worth any inconvenience if they keep the public safe. However, this crosses the line. He should not be subjected to this kind of treatment. He should not have been separated from me, even for a minute. As his mother, my permission should have been sought before anyone touched him.
While I can see how this might be disconcerting, I don't fully understand the complaint.

1) Was it that he was "separated" from you? In which case, I'm sorry, if you were traveling with another adult (and it sounds like your DH was there), this one was on you. When traveling with younger kids, IMO, the "smart" thing is to have one adult go through first. That puts an adult on the "secure" side to keep an eye on things AND shows the kids what is going to happen.

2) Was it they put blue gloves on?
3) Was it they swabbed his hands? What should they have done? If the machine shows and abnormality, were they supposed to say "oh, he's just 6, don't worry about it"?
4) Were the TSA officers rude? You don't say if they were though.

It does sound like you handled yourself fine ("hiding all fear and anger"), although I don't know what you had to be afraid of or angry about.

I am also surprised they didn't inform you of what they were going to do ("Mom, we're going to swab his hands.") It does not surprise me they didn't ask you. Be honest, if they would asked you if they could touch him, what would you have said?

ETA: How do you take ONE instance of something happening and decide that this is "the new norm"?

Surprising? Maybe. But, you said that you prepared your ds for flying and security proceedures. Did you not think to explain to him that he could possibly be taken out of the line for addtl screening? It doesn't happen often. But, it can. Kids need to be told about it. It doesn't sound as if anything 'out of line' happened and that your ds was treated with respect.

Here's the thing. It is theater a lot of the time. I get that. But...there have to be some proceedures in place. I would like to see trained dogs in the airports, but people respond to that with 'But, I'm allergic' or 'But my child is afraid of dogs'. Or having seriously armed agents roaming around...'But my child will be frightened if he sees people with guns'.

It's tiring to constantly hear the security bashing. People just sit here and complain and bash what the TSA does. Most TSA people are good people, trying to do their jobs. If you don't care for what happens, start writing to your congressmen. Start refusing to fly...and be sure to let airlines and politicians know why. Terrorists are not above using children and the elderly in their planning. So no, no one gets a pass.

Funny thing...right after 9/11, no one was complaining about the security proceedures. They almost welcomed them. And there were armed personel in the airports as well. No one had anything bad to say. But after a year or so? Yep, the complaining started.

Basically it looks like they were checking to see if he had fired a gun, recently.

So, what if he had? Does that mean that he can't fly? Is this a new rule? Or do they just ask you about it? And believe what you say?

My 9 year old son and I were pulled out for "extra screening." (Pat down, wand, etc.) Why? Because we changed our ticket to fly home, "same day." My husband had a medical emergency back home, and we needed to rush home to speak with his doctors. I guess the 9/11 nuts only bought one way tickets, so now, if you buy a one way ticket, they screen you.

It seems that the TSA is 10 steps behind the nut jobs. We get extra screening with a one way ticket. We have to take our shoes off because of the shoe bomber. They check out your privates because of the underwear bomber.

Guess what guys? The terrorists have already moved on to other ways to terrorize us. One of them might just be the stuff we have to deal with when dealing with the TSA.

I once had my hands swabbed twice in the same line, once before the detector and once after. When I asked, they said it was random selection.

Better that they just swabbed his hands than did a patdown. That would have been more traumatic for him.

Exactly!

As someone who lived in Israel and has dealt with their air security, I agree that what we are doing for "security" is lacking in comparison. We are sheep that have given in to theatrics for the sake of feeling safer, but no actually being so.

I think a lot of it is unnecessary. My son had just broken his hand. He was put in a metal brace. Airport security made him take the brace off to "check" him. Ridiculous. They pulled him into a secure room. Had no problem. They ran their hands all over him. Had no problem. Had him lift up his shirt.... A little problem. Made him take off arm brace.... Bigger problem. He was eleven and traveling with a school group to DC. RIDUCULOUS. Airport screening needs to use some sense. IMO, they aren't really making us safer.

It is random. Your son was X number passenger to pass through TSA. This happened to my 14 year old DD and she is a Trusted Traveler. It took all of 45 seconds. By the time it was explained to me what was going on, it was over.
It is 2014. It should be of no surprise that you and your children may be subjected to additional screening. There may be pat downs, hand swabbing, bag searches. You should make your children aware of this. There are age appropriate ways to explain passing through TSA to your children. If anyone feels there may be an issue that they or their children are not comfortable with, there are alternative ways of travel.

I think a lot of it is unnecessary. My son had just broken his hand. He was put in a metal brace. Airport security made him take the brace off to "check" him. Ridiculous. They pulled him into a secure room. Had no problem. They ran their hands all over him. Had no problem. Had him lift up his shirt.... A little problem. Made him take off arm brace.... Bigger problem. He was eleven and traveling with a school group to DC. RIDUCULOUS. Airport screening needs to use some sense. IMO, they aren't really making us safer.

Perhaps.... but when things go wrong.... they blame the screeners for doing an inadequate job.

As a frequent traveller, I've had my experiences of surprise detailed searches. But screeners are doing the job and we all just want to be safe. I've gotten to the point of showing up early to let them do a detailed job with less concern of missing a flight or appointment.

Screening for ebola is their latest challenge. Do you look forward to boarding a plane with someone sick?

I can see why the OP was upset. We're talking about a child with autism, not a typically developing child. I don't agree that the TSA should need parental permission to do additional screening on a child (and actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that if you looked on the fine print of any airline ticket, you agree to be subject to any screening the TSA decides you need), but I do think that the TSA agents should ensure that a parent isn't separated from their children before taking them to the screening area. For most kids, this wouldn't be a big deal, and "luckily" it worked out with OP's child this time, but this could have resulted in a major meltdown, which may have been unncessary had the TSA just included the parent in the process more.

I fly regularly with my kids and I always send them through the metal detector first. I've never thought to instruct them on what to do if they get selected for additional screening, so this post is a good reminder to do that before we fly again. I've been selected for additional screening (the hand swipe) when I've been with them, so they've at least seen it done before.

Well, it may be just theatrics, but God forbid anything happen when the terrorists use a kid to bring down a plane! No, it probably won't happen, but it could. Security isn't perfect. I'm just not sure how you all want it handled. What would your suggestions be?
There was the NYE that we were supposed to fly from Ft Lauderdale to TF Green in Providence. Well, we got to Philly and started circling. We were told that we had to land in Philly because there were runway issues due to snow in Providence. Found out later it was a 15 min window that the runways were shut down. Anyway...we had two choices.....get off in Philly, without our checked bags, get a room for the night (my nickel, not SW's) and get the first flight out to Providence in the morning. Or, stay with the plane, go back to Ft Launderdale, get your checked bags, get a room (again, I pay) and a flight out the next morning. We chose the latter since I stupidly didn't pack my carryon properly...I was going home for crying out loud.
Well, the next morning, when we got to security, all three of us were given extra special security treatment...very thorough pat downs..because we had that one way ticket, even though it wasn't our fault, but the airlines. Go figure. But, it wasn't a big deal. Took all of 5 mins.
Can't tell you how many times my dh has had his laptop swabbed for explosives...big deal.

I truly think there are bigger things to worry about than TSA security. If it bothers you, start writing those letters and stop flying. Enough people do that and things will change.

I truly think there are bigger things to worry about than TSA security. If it bothers you, start writing those letters and stop flying. Enough people do that and things will change.
Yep.

I refuse to fly.

I will drive. Yes. It will take longer. But I don't have to agree to be sexually assaulted, when I drive. No one asks me to remove a prosthetic, cast or brace. No one swabs my hand to see if I fired my gun. In fact, when I drive I remain totally unmolested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter