Two nights and no parks; which woukd you choose?

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
We may be adding 2 nights on to the front or back end of our cruise next January. Which WDW DVC resort would you choose and why? It'll just be DS12 and myself.

:thanks:

We may be adding 2 nights on to the front or back end of our cruise next January. Which WDW DVC resort would you choose and why? It'll just be DS12 and myself.

Hmmm tough one. January pools really won't be a factor. AKL for the animals possibly.

BLT to watch fireworks and water parade at night from Resort, plus take a boat ride to Wilderness Lodge and/or Ft Wilderness. Rent bikes, walk etc.. WLV for the reverse.

Boardwalk for night time activities, walk to minature golf (a bit of a walk).

OKW boat ride to DTD movies, dinner, rent bikes at OKW.

AKV (it's like a theme park in itself!) - + 4 restaurants, 2 pools, and tons of activities.

BCV or BWV - again, tons of stuff to do on the Boardwalk

Hmmm tough one. January pools really won't be a factor. AKL for the animals possibly.

DS will swim but I think you're right; the pool won't be a huge factor. We love AKV and stayed there last October. :thumbsup2 That was my first thought but then maybe we should venture out? But why mess with a good thing? :upsidedow

BLT to watch fireworks and water parade at night from Resort, plus take a boat ride to Wilderness Lodge and/or Ft Wilderness. Rent bikes, walk etc.. WLV for the reverse.

This is a great idea. Generally BLT doesn't appeal to me but admittedly I've allowed the decor to throw me off without really checking into the activities. Where do you watch the fireworks? Is there a common area? Do they pipe in the music?

Boardwalk for night time activities, walk to minature golf (a bit of a walk).

Miniature golf is a good idea. We love our resort time and I've always wanted to try the BWV.

OKW boat ride to DTD movies, dinner, rent bikes at OKW.

Love OKW. We did paddle boats years ago when DS was much younger. I forget how much I like this resort. We only stayed 5 nights and were at the parks a ton. Olivia's was quote good if I recall.

AKV (it's like a theme park in itself!) - + 4 restaurants, 2 pools, and tons of activities.

BCV or BWV - again, tons of stuff to do on the Boardwalk

Love AKV. During our last trip, DS dip completed the bead activity and loved it. Roasting marshmallows was also a big hit.

We haven't stayed at the BWV or BCV. I don't hear great things about the BCV rooms though. Any truth to that?

We've stayed at SSR (the THV) and loved it. The High Rocks Springs Pool was a hit. We've also stayed at OKW and AKV, both Kidani and Jambo with a slight preference for Kidani.

I'm liking the idea of being able to watch the fireworks from MK. Can you see them from the VWL or just BLT? I've wanted to try the sushi place at the Poly so BLT might be a good option location wise. We won't have a car. :goodvibes

I also like the thought of the BWV/BCV area as we've always wanted to try Beaches n Cream.

I keep going back to SSR too. We love DTD and haven't stayed in a regular villa there, just the THV.

Decisions, decisions.....

We haven't stayed at the BWV or BCV. I don't hear great things about the BCV rooms though. Any truth to that?

Well, they're old. They definitely are ready for a refurb, but I haven't run into anything that's unmanageable, personally.

Anyway, I would do AK. Love that place.

However, BWV and BCV are in a great area of Disney that I love as well. I would choose one of those three, if it were me.

Either AKV for the restaurants and the animals, BLT for the monorail restaurants and to see wishes even if not doing a park, or SSR for DTD shopping and golf depending on what you actually want to do with your time.

I'd do AKV. Lots of great things to do there without even thinking of going to a park. It's pretty much a destination resort on it's own. I could easily stay there a week and never go to a park. Great restaurants there as well.

Fireworks can be seen from BLT only but if you did stay at VWL you could take a boat to BLT. Can view from TOWL, or walkway from Contemporary as well as each Floor at BLT near elevator banks provides good viewing and inside if its cold. If you stay there and have view from room music is piped in on TV. Plus if you could always watch from Poly and GF as well, I believe the beach area at Poly may be resorts guests only.

I'm sure you'll enjoy no matter what you choose.

Enjoy

Well, they're old. They definitely are ready for a refurb, but I haven't run into anything that's unmanageable, personally.

Anyway, I would do AK. Love that place.

However, BWV and BCV are in a great area of Disney that I love as well. I would choose one of those three, if it were me.

I love AKV too. We stayed there for 5 nights on our last trip and it was amazing. We visited both pools, Sanaa and Boma, and my DS completed the beads activities.

I'm leaning towards another resort as we've done AKV. I'm not familiar with the Epcot resorts or area at all.

Either AKV for the restaurants and the animals, BLT for the monorail restaurants and to see wishes even if not doing a park, or SSR for DTD shopping and golf depending on what you actually want to do with your time.

You've named my tops 3 choices. :thumbsup2 Not sure what we'll do with our time. Even in January we'll swim some as we'll be leaving Utah during the heart of winter. Anything will seem warm. :laughing:

I'd do AKV. Lots of great things to do there without even thinking of going to a park. It's pretty much a destination resort on it's own. I could easily stay there a week and never go to a park. Great restaurants there as well.

Me too. I love it. Having just gone there, would choose somewhere else or stay with what you know you like?

Fireworks can be seen from BLT only but if you did stay at VWL you could take a boat to BLT. Can view from TOWL, or walkway from Contemporary as well as each Floor at BLT near elevator banks provides good viewing and inside if its cold. If you stay there and have view from room music is piped in on TV. Plus if you could always watch from Poly and GF as well, I believe the beach area at Poly may be resorts guests only.

I'm sure you'll enjoy no matter what you choose.

Enjoy

Thank you. I didn't realize we could take a boat from VWL to BLT until this thread. I don't know how I missed that. That's good info.

For the front end, I might consider BLT if you have the points. The game room at BLT is great and the dining options around the monorail are numerous. You could even dine late at the poly and watch Wishes from the beach. I think it plays early in January, so you wouldn't have to dine too late.

For after the trip, I might choose AKV to just enjoy the cultural offerings of the resort after a cruise full of swimming, eating and lounging in the sun.

You could always consider SSR on either end. You would be able to walk to DTD and catch a movie or go bowling or just poke around.

You could try for the new VGF. That can be booked by non-VGF-owners starting June 23rd.

For the front end, I might consider BLT if you have the points. The game room at BLT is great and the dining options around the monorail are numerous. You could even dine late at the poly and watch Wishes from the beach. I think it plays early in January, so you wouldn't have to dine too late.

For after the trip, I might choose AKV to just enjoy the cultural offerings of the resort after a cruise full of swimming, eating and lounging in the sun.

You could always consider SSR on either end. You would be able to walk to DTD and catch a movie or go bowling or just poke around.

I think we'd do it after but I haven't decided. We cruise out of Miami.

You could try for the new VGF. That can be booked by non-VGF-owners starting June 23rd.

That's a good idea. I forget the GF will now be an option. :thumbsup2

How about Vero Beach?

I hadn't even thought of Vero. Where is Vero in proximity to Miami? Closer than WDW? At Vero the parks wouldn't be a temptation and no feeling that we're missing out at all.

I think we'd do it after but I haven't decided. We cruise out of Miami.

That's a good idea. I forget the GF will now be an option. :thumbsup2

I hadn't even thought of Vero. Where is Vero in proximity to Miami? Closer than WDW? At Vero the parks wouldn't be a temptation and no feeling that we're missing out at all.

VB is at least an hour closer to Miami. A 12YO would love the waves at VB. You will need to purchase a Boogie Board (cheap at Walmart). VB is a compact resort and you overlook the beach. You can set up your beach camp in the morning and move easily to and from the beach, room, pool, and the lake in a couple minute walk without the need to bring your stuff back with you. You need to use the bathroom...? just run up to your room... That may sound silly, but it is a real nice added comfort level. Hungry...? Just run up to the room or the poolside grille. VB and HHI tend to have more planned activities for the kids to make up for the lack of park attractions. It is a real good place to spend a couple of days before or after a cruise.

:wave2: I would probably do an Epcot resort, although its hard to stay at the area and not go in the parks.

However, I had a January trip where it was 80 degrees, so pools are possible. In that case I would pick BCV for SAB. You guys could also walk over to mini-golf and participate in the evening activities at the Boardwalk.

Another idea is OKW, since you already have stayed at SSR. I love OKW's main pool and the hot tub is awesome. It's a great place for renting and riding bikes and there is a path that connects it to SSR. You can also take the boat to DTD.

Hmmm.

I would say SSR.

For
Mom and Son spa day or Waterpark Day across the street
Evening of perusing the shops of Downtown Disney or Splitsville or the place you can make your own car (maybe La Nouba)
A guilt free meal at a Restaurant of your Choice (if not at DTD perhaps as one of many options a bus from DTD to Contemporary for a meal at the New California Grill and Fireworks/Electric Boat Parade or perhaps the Luau at the Poly)

If you can get into the new Grand Floridian for all the above and the excitement of being at the newest resort.

AKL. I hate staying at AKL on park intensive trips but if we are not doing parks I love it.

VB is at least an hour closer to Miami. A 12YO would love the waves at VB. You will need to purchase a Boogie Board (cheap at Walmart). VB is a compact resort and you overlook the beach. You can set up your beach camp in the morning and move easily to and from the beach, room, pool, and the lake in a couple minute walk without the need to bring your stuff back with you. You need to use the bathroom...? just run up to your room... That may sound silly, but it is a real nice added comfort level. Hungry...? Just run up to the room or the poolside grille. VB and HHI tend to have more planned activities for the kids to make up for the lack of park attractions. It is a real good place to spend a couple of days before or after a cruise.

I love this idea and thank you for the great tips. :) I'm about a week from the 7th month mark....I need to decide. I didn't realize it was that much closer to Miami than WDW. What if we fly into Fort Lauderdale? What does that look like? I'm really thinking of going after the cruise......so we could fly into Miami and then fly out of Miami or FL, whichever is closer to Vero.

:wave2: I would probably do an Epcot resort, although its hard to stay at the area and not go in the parks.

Yeah,I've never stayed at an Epcot resort so that would be so fun and all new.

However, I had a January trip where it was 80 degrees, so pools are possible. In that case I would pick BCV for SAB. You guys could also walk over to mini-golf and participate in the evening activities at the Boardwalk.

Another idea is OKW, since you already have stayed at SSR. I love OKW's main pool and the hot tub is awesome. It's a great place for renting and riding bikes and there is a path that connects it to SSR. You can also take the boat to DTD.

Pools are possible year round for us as we're used to the cold Utah winters. My wacky kids will swim in the ocean in December so even a day in the high 60's could produce some valuable pool time.

We have stayed at OKW and loved it! :thumbsup2 That is a good idea. Joshua loves mini golf too.​

Hmmm.

I would say SSR.

For
Mom and Son spa day or Waterpark Day across the street
Evening of perusing the shops of Downtown Disney or Splitsville or the place you can make your own car (maybe La Nouba)
A guilt free meal at a Restaurant of your Choice (if not at DTD perhaps as one of many options a bus from DTD to Contemporary for a meal at the New California Grill and Fireworks/Electric Boat Parade or perhaps the Luau at the Poly)

If you can get into the new Grand Floridian for all the above and the excitement of being at the newest resort.

I'm kind of liking the GF idea but have read there's already wait lists. Maybe January won't be as busy though.

We do love SSR and have only stayed in the THV so a studio would be new.

AKL. I hate staying at AKL on park intensive trips but if we are not doing parks I love it.

I love AKV anytime. We just stayed there though and I'm wanting to try something new.

1) BWV for proximity to BW activities and night time activities. There is so much the 2 of you can do right there

2) OKW or SSR for DTD proximity. Think yum food one night, splitsville the next

We recently returned fro OKW and our kids ages 8 & 11 loved the boat ride to DTD for Disney Quest. Maybe your DS would like that? A lot of interactive games and not your normal arcade.

VB is lovely! Stayed last June and would love to return soon. The resort is very laid back and peaceful. Turtle walk at night is a truly memorable experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter