Types of fish at Castaway Cay

rae519

<font color=6666CC>DIS Veteran<br><font color=CC00
During our 5/3/03 cruise, several of us at the Family Beach saw a thin 2-2 1/2 foot long fish in about 3-4 feet of water by the shore.

Any guesses on what it could be from those who know their marine life? Snorkelers?

(And no, BD, it wasn't a whale!)

Rae (Just when I thought it was safe to get back into the water)

What shape was it? "Thin" is a little vague. If it was pencil shaped, silvery in color with a mouth full of teeth then it could be a Barracuda. These fish often feed near shore on the smaller fishys! - <i>and sometimes on fingers and toes with flashy jewelry.</i>

Oh my - that does sound like it - Although DH wasn't there, that was his first guess.
Great.
I think that does it for my going back into the water!!!!

Rae

I wouldn't worry about the Barracuda - I'm more concerned about the sand fleas (no-see-ums) that some have reported on CC. They will deliver a blood letting if they are active. The water may be your refuge!

Yo Rae!

(And no, BD, it wasn't a whale!)

I take my son several times a year to The New York Aquarium at Coney Island. We even slept there overnight once and helped prepare breakfast for the fish. The keepers taught us that whales are NOT fish - lol. If you remember it was the whale-as-a-mammal reference which got me into trouble the last time.

I have a feeling your imagination went into overdrive. I think you're confusing a BARRACUDA with the type of PLYMOUTH dh drove while wooing you...

Not to scare you, but three years ago I saw a shark inside the net out about 200 feet on the left side as you swim straight out. And, on the adult beach I caught an octipus. It was in side a shell and I carried it to shore and then it came out. I got some good pictures of it and then threw it back in.

I slathered Sea Safe on both of us - doesn't say it covers sand fleas but I sure hope so since I became a human sand castle for him!

Shark? Oh great - and I am sure it's not the "shark" that grabbed me in Oahu when I was 21. He definitely was more "octopus"!

BD - Ohhh, mammal/whale - got it!!!! Now did I set you up for that or what?!

By the way, I had the hot 'cuba back then, darlin'! A slick black number with a racing engine and fat tires and chrome slotted wheels and no speeding tickets. Once a long time ago, BD, I was a hot mama - but now that's just a twinkle in DH's eyes in a fading memory! The best part about it is, that no matter how old I get, he still sees me with those eyes - gotta love that man! He's one in a million!

Your son is one lucky kid, BD - you really are a great dad! And you can put that in your next legal brief!!!

Rae

me and DS, BD!!!!

Tom thanks you for the suggestion - after all, it's a long Memorial Day weekend now isn't it!!!

Rae

OK, I have one for the experts. While we were snorkeling at CC we encounter a huge fish about 2.5 to 3 feet long, but not thin. Actually he was probably 1.5 feet, I guess you would say in height? And he had a face that looked like a dog. It scared the **** out of us. We were just swimming along and there was a cloud of sand in front of us and as we got closer this thing popped right out at us. I decided that I had enough and started swimming to shore, but the darn thing followed me about half the way. My husband thought it was very funny and said that the fish was sweet on me. But I noticed that he went to shore right away too! Anyone know what type of fish it is? I think that I will go do a little searching to see if I can find out.

Originally posted by eva
OK, I have one for the experts. While we were snorkeling at CC we encounter a huge fish about 2.5 to 3 feet long, but not thin. Actually he was probably 1.5 feet, I guess you would say in height? And he had a face that looked like a dog.

What breed of dog?:teeth: Hey maybe it was a dogfish?

Hey, Rae! I haven't done my trip report yet, but on CC day there will be definite reference to finding Mickey while snorkeling -- and not one, but two -- barracudas, followed by a moment of disbelief and a hasty retreat. And they were pretty big -- I'd say 3 - 4 feet or so. So it's entirely possible you saw barracudas, too.

The signs say there are can be sea life at CC, and there's every reason to believe it. When we talked to a lifeguard at the adult beach about our 'discovery', she said that one day the week before, when the lifeguards were preparing for their morning training swim, they spied two small sharks.

And while we were talking to her, we say a rather large searay swim through Serenity Bay. So it pays to remember we are swimming in nature's pool!

Hey northernmouse - how are you all?!

Folks, this is one of the greatest families you can ever hope to cruise with! Great couple with a totally awesome son - you can't beat that combination!

Yes, that had to be a barracuda since we were all at the same place on that cruise! Sheesh! The worst part was that I was just getting used to being back in the water.... I thought that he looked bigger but figured it was just my fear!

Okay, I met my Fear Factor - now give me the money!

Michael loved being in the ocean and he's always been hesitant (okay, AFRAID) of the water. He didn't see the fish and I certainly wasn't about to mention it to him!

Can't wait to read your report - I guess I should do one too - but the best part was the minivan vs clearing bar and after that, well, pretty anticlimactic til the fish!

I sent you a PM, Cindi!!!

Rae

Rae...I was also going to say that it was a barracuda. About ten years ago I went to the Bahamas for the first time. We went on a snorkling trip. I'm out there in the ocean just enjoying the beauty of the ocean and the reef, when a whole school of these long, thin fish swam past me. I had no idea what they were, but I was literally right in the middle of them when they swam by. I noticed many others just laying on the bottem of the ocean, just minding there own business. So when we got back to the boat, I asked what they were. Of course I was told they were barracuda!!:eek: If I had known that, I would have been out of the water FAST!!!
But they never bothered me. I guess if you don't mess with them, they won't mess with you.;)

AnnMorin...

What breed of dog? Hey maybe it was a dogfish?

Now that sounds like something BD would say!:tongue: HEHE

Jennifer

Hey! All I can say is..........things are really picking up at CC. When we first sailed with DCL, they were just establishing CC for the wild undersea life. It sounds like the snorkeling trail is building. I know that barracuda are very intimidating to see. I'm just glad that the DCL island is developing into a feasible snorkling location!!

Maybe I'll just stick with the "glass bottom boats" and submarine type viewings.....I keep hearing the Jaws theme now!

Rae (NOT taking any chances, I'm going back to taking showers)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter