• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Uber Visa Card - Eating in the Theme Parks

Rob Huff

Mouseketeer
Hello All!

Like many of you, most of my credit card habits are geared toward saving/earning rewards so that I can do fun things like traveling to Disney World.

However, my credit card question is specific to rewards earned at WDW.

We use the Uber Visa card as our primary restaurant/take-out purchasing vehicle - it earns a hefty 4% cash back on dining, among other benefits, with no annual fee. I have developed a pretty good feel for where it works (just about everywhere) and where it doesn't (ice cream shops, some bakeries, etc.).

My question today: how does WDW characterize their eating establishments? It has been (sadly) over a year since I was there and we didn't have the card at that time, so I can't check my own records to see. I presume that table service restaurants are characterized within the 4% category for this card and that food stands (like Liberty Square Market with its delicious corn) are not. Quick service is a great mystery to me. Further, I have some concern that Disney will characterize all of their theme park sales using some ambiguous "entertainment" category and I don't want to blindly trust that a sit-down restaurant will be characterized as such even though it's in a theme park.

Has anyone else actually used this card at WDW and, if so, what results did you see? Our 180-day window is approaching in the coming weeks and I'd like to book some of our big meals using the best card. Thanks!

Hi Rob, I know this may not answer your question exactly, but I just visited Disneyland Paris a few weeks ago with my Uber Visa and noticed that when I used it at a quick service restaurant there, it got classified as a "entertainment, amusement park" with only the 1% back, though the Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney there gave me the 4%. Normally I use my Fidelity Visa for everything other than restaurants and hotel/airline to get at least 2%, but I didnt do it in Paris because of the fact that there is no foreign fee with the Uber card, which saves me a 3% fee from Fidelity so i still come out ahead.
Of course, WDW in Orlando may be different in how they are classified, I havent been there since I got the card.

Looking back at my statements for my past couple of trips, all of the quick service locations that i visited showed up under the entertainment category. Granted I was using a Discover card, so your mileage may vary.

Thanks for both of the replies thus far -- you're largely confirming my concern that the ambiguous "entertainment" category is stealing the show.

Hopefully we'll get some other cardmembers who have had a recent trip to WDW who can speak to specifics!

For Chase cards all the dining at disney codes as "dining". You need someone who has used an uber visa at wdw for your data point.

The vendor doesn't set those categories, the credit card company does. So it can vary by card. As PP says, you need a response from someone with an Uber Visa who has been to the WDW parks recently. You could try contacting the credit card company to see if they can tell you.

Enjoy your vacation!

Two months this time - there has to be somebody who has used this card in the parks, right?

I see you still haven't gotten a reply to this. Sorry, I can't answer it either. But I'll throw out another idea - what about the Capital One Savor card? It also gets 4% dining out and 4% entertainment, so you would get 4% either way at WDW. I believe there is a $500 signup bonus right now with $3000 in spending in the first 3 months. The annual fee is waived the first year too. Just a warning about Capital One, it has a reputation for being tough to get a credit card with, and it will do a hard pull at all 3 bureaus.

I see you still haven't gotten a reply to this. Sorry, I can't answer it either. But I'll throw out another idea - what about the Capital One Savor card? It also gets 4% dining out and 4% entertainment, so you would get 4% either way at WDW. I believe there is a $500 signup bonus right now with $3000 in spending in the first 3 months. The annual fee is waived the first year too. Just a warning about Capital One, it has a reputation for being tough to get a credit card with, and it will do a hard pull at all 3 bureaus.

I appreciate you pointing this one out. I decided against the card, however, because I'm not quite at the point churning spot where I open a card, get the signup bonus, and then close it out before the end of the promo year, which is what I'd do here. I'm not worried about the credit pull; we just don't do much in the way of entertainment spending outside of WDW, so the card would likely be a net negative compared to the Uber Visa given the 4% dining out with no fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter