UK resident looking at DVC tell me everything and more

razster

Proud Owner @ AKV - 16yr DIS Veteran
We have been to disney every year now as a family for many years and in that time we have seen many of the DVC resorts, this year we have been taken by the animal kingdom villas development, we honeymooned at AKL and it has some real good memories for us and we would like this to be the Home resort for our future family vacationing. we want to know everything we can about this before we buy in. how easy is it being a UK member does it have any hitches or problems being here and not in the US. any tips, tricks or experiences. I would love to hear from all of you guys with anything you can share that may help me in convincing my DH that this is definitely way forward. logisitics of actually using your membership or any UK related points would be gratefully received.

i've been reading these boards for years and never had the courage to post before so please excuse my post if not very well structured and a bit wordy.

thanks

Raz

hi raz

1.its a great time to buy because the dollar is so weak you get great value for money, better than any time in the last 10 years or so.

2. we have been members for 5 years years and do not regret it a bit, we are still young, have no kids and find it great value, we have been twice a year, been on a cruise, been skiing in colorado - amazing stuff !!!

3. you cant pay your dues monthly like the americans can, so every january you have to cough up your annual dues in 1 hit - this is a downside i suppose, but just plan ahead.

4. if you cant afford it in 1 go, then DVC will give you finance i believe (not sure about this too much as we just paid for it in 1 go.

hope this helps

chris

chris,

thanks for your response,
can i ask, did you buy through disney or resale?
do you always book your "home" resorts or do you book elsewhere and how much success do you have etc

thanks

Raz

We've been members for two years and bought a resale at OKW. If you want to buy at AKL you will have to buy through Disney for the time being.

It was one of the best decision we've made and have had no problems booking other resorts. So far we've stayed at OKW, Vero Beach, BWV, VWL and have 3 nights booked at BCV this summer. Having said that we love OKW so it would be no hardship if we could only stay there. There is no hassle living in Europe and owning DVC, they give you a free phone number to call and you can do a lot of things, including paying your dues on line.

You said you go regularly and stay on site so it sounds like DVC would suit your needs.

we bought from disney direct, no resales, although i understand they are cheaper, i felt more secure going through disney with us being from outside the USA, didnt know about my legal rights if it went wrong....

no we dont book our home resorts, we have stayed at BCV but never been anywhere near Vero Beach which is other resort, but we have also stayed in other DVC properties at disneyworld, WL, OKW, BCV, SS, and some other times at non DVC hotels - grand floridian, yacht club, when we couldnt get a full booking as it was last minute and obviously you have to be more flexible to moving around. (i know using non DVC is not such a great use of points, but using them for deluxe hotels like the grand floridian is fine by us,

realistically the later you leave it, the more risk you take, depends on your flexibility with work i guess, to play it safe i would get the home resort you want to stay at and are happy to go back to if you want to book miles in advance this is the best solution for getting what you want, as more people join the DVC then this will come into play even more with the relevancy of your home resort being more important.

chris

thanks for all info so far, lots to think about. please keep any info coming. thank you

We have used our DVC points for an exchange in Devon half term time!, Disneyland Paris, and have had other families come out with us. This year we are using our points to go on the Disney cruise. As previously posted the only drawback I can see for DVC is the prices you have to pay for flights during the school holidays.

susan

Hi we bought DVC last autumn, and have already been back (in Jan this year) and are taking my sister back in November this year. We have 200 points... the idea was that we will have enough points for 2 weeks in a 1bedroom (for when we have children) in an offpeak season. We bought 3 contracts from Disney. the minimum (at the time) of 150 and then 2 contracts of 25 each. We did this, so that if we needed to sell some of our points at any time in the future we could sell just a few of them. I believe you can only sell complete contracts.
We stayed in SSR (our home resort) on our DVC trip in Jan, but we want to conserve points at the end of the year, so we are staying in OKW. We wondered if we would be able to get a reservation for end november, as we could only book at the 7 month point, but we didn't have any trouble at all. We were after studio appartments, I think that the bigger ones probably book up quicker.
We love our DVC, and it's meant that we have been able to go back more than we could ever have imagined! I wouldn't have gone for it if we had have to go with a finance deal, because it is so much more expensive.
Hope this helps... it's great to see you on here, and keep asking your questions!

Hi we bought 350 points at BWV back in 2000 when the dollar exchange rate was 1.34 (and yes we are still cursing !!!!). We have stayed at VWL, and Vero Beach,we loved both,we have also cruised with Disney.

We are getting married next year at Disney,to qualify for the best rates you need to stay at a premium resort for 4 nights, (we are using our BWV points for this) and have enough points left over to provide accomodation for my Sister and her family and my Father,plus enough for a week at Vero beach for all of us !!!.

The only drawback is the flights in term time.

Cheers Iain..

We have just bought AKV and the funds transfer has just gone through. Got an exchange rate of $1.96 to the £ which was nice. Not trying to rub it in 3cheers4DIS :rolleyes1 but highlight what a good time it is to do it now!

Aside from loving the AKV plans and AK park etc. we really liked the flexibility of the range of accommodation in AKV, I know that there are only a small proportion of value and standard views but when traveling with family we can stay in a 2 bed value or if on our own a 1 bed concierge for around the same number of points. Cheapest 1 week in 1 bed in Dream 169 compared to 225 in SSR or 252 in BVC etc. Having the home resort advantage to save some points but have the same size might be better when not worried about the view for early morning or late night days.

We bought 280 points (wish we had read the 'wish we knew before buying' thread before and got it in 2 contracts) which should be enough for 2 weeks every other year with the occasional trip to Paris on points. We want to stay at Vero Beach and Hilton Head as well and with cruises etc. should be set for at least 10 years without much duplication!

We met a guide out there but had already decided 1 1/2 years ago to buy on our next trip. We did all the paperwork there which didn't take long and sorted out the transfer when we got back. It was really easy to do, she said that trying to exchange documents back and forth just takes longer but is fine.

Looking to go next in 2009 when the new building opens.

Steve

Steve, congrats on AKV,we stayed concierge level last year at the lodge using DVC points and had a great time. we love staying in the 1 bedroom at BWV so much space for the family

$1.96 EXCHANGE RATE :headache: well done, although we got fleeced with the exchange rate,its such good value at the moment i don't blame you at all and having seen the plans for AKL i just wish we had the cash to buy as well,but with next years wedding looming the bank of Dad is looking a little empty at the moment !!!

cheers Iain.

If you go to Disney as often as you do it's madness not to join DVC. We joined around 4 years ago & have done so much in that time, Saratoga twice, Boardwalk twice, Vero twice, Akl once, Cruise once, Beach Club once. Our last trip 3 weeks ago was a 3 centre tour treating 4 of our friends who thought they were staying in paradise. Once the contract is payed for it's like having almost free holidays in 5 star accommodation, (obviousley you have to still pay for your flights & spending money, but you would have that cost anyway). Go for it, you'll not regret it.

We have only just bought into the DVC recently. It seems quite a large payment up front if you buy through Disney, but think of all the years ahead with only flights to pay for (and spending money of course).

And if you go outside school term times the flights are very reasonable.
I have a friend who owns property in St. Petes and he got flights recently for as little as £170 each.

We think it is worth it and we have SSR as our "home" resort up until 2054.

We just got back from our trip where we bought 252 points at AKV. We want to be able to stay 2 weeks in a studio for 2 Novembers out of 3 and then go "somewhere else" in the third year. So with banking and borrowing the points should work over a three year period.

We decided not to go with Disney finance although the rates aren't bad at just shy of 6%. We're going with a 0% purchases deal on our credit card instead as we'll have the money to pay it off when the deal ends. You can pay the balance on finance / by funds transfer / or credit card.

Good luck with your decision.

I'LL be 120+ by then do you think a zimmerframe will be ok to take on EE:)

Don't forget your your incontinent pants for Splash Mountain.....it'll give a whole new meaning to "Splash"!:lmao: (Gosh, and I'll be a mere youth at 95! I'll be taking my roller blades.):earseek: )

I have a friend enquiring, how much are the points at the moment for AK.

I think it's now $104 per point with an $8 discount or (developers points valid for 7 months) and a minimum purchase of 160 points... :thumbsup2

How does it work to buy the points?? Do you need to have all the money up front??

We are getting married out there next year and I would love to buy them but dont really know anything about buying them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter