Ulcerative Colitis!!

DisneyVirgin

Earning My Ears
Unfortunately, I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis which often "flares up". I am a member of the NACC and they have sent me their "Can't Wait" card. Will I be able to get a GAC with this card or not? Does anyone have any experience of travelling to Disney with this condition? I am very worried.

It sounds like you are talking about restroom lines.

Since CMs do not monitor restroom lines or direct them, there is not much a GAC can do for you in that case. You are basically dealing with the kindness of other Disney guests that may be in the restroom line.

All you can really do is make sure you have park maps and know exactly where the facilities are and bring your "Can't Wait" card with you.

Carol

I have sent you a PM.

Please don't let this disease spoil your enjoyment of Disney!

To answer broadly, I have suffered with UC for 3 years (or rather was diagnosed 3 years ago but suffered with it for some years prior to that). We have had to alter our holiday plans to fit in with it. Luckily, mine is relatively predictable out of a flare-up, but in a flare-up, thats a different matter! We now stay at the Hilton at Gatwick the night before we fly since I am unable to cope with a trip along the M25 first thing in the morning, especially when the traffic is bad!

We have also had to come to terms with the fact that we will never make the "rope drop" at the parks as getting out of the hotel in the morning can be a bit hit and miss. For me, the first 2-3 hours of the day are the problem ones. For me, I have had to get over the embarrassment of asking for a toilet/restroom no matter where I happen to be. It beats the embarrassment of not asking and dealing with the consequences.

I have never thought about getting a GAC. For me, by the time I get to the parks I am usually ok for the rest of the day so it isn't a problem. I suffer with mobility problems too (or rather did, I had a hip replacement in May and am a lot more mobile now!) and asthma. I am at the end of an horrific flare-up which lasted 3 months and apparently was a knock-on effect of surgery. It isn't usually that severe for me.

UC is an awful condition to live with. However, it CAN be lived with providing you make compromises. I understand that UC is different for every person that lives with it. Mine, as I said, is fairly predictable in that I KNOW mornings are horrendous. That said, I still hold down a job with an 8.00am start! For some people, however, I am aware that their disease is not as predictable and can affect the whole of your waking (and in some cases, sleeping) day.

Good luck, and please don't worry.

Jackie :D

I don't have any experience with your condition.
You might want to make some copies of your card. That way when you
need to skip ahead of some people in line. YOu could possibly go to
the front of the line and hand the card to the person. Rather than try to
explain your condition, it might be an easier way to handle the situation? Maybe not.
It all depends on how confortable you are explaining things to strangers, and
the card may eliminate that need.
I'm not sure how friendly everyone would be about this. If someone had
a medical problem I wouldn't see a problem with skipping to the front of the line.
I could imagine some people giving you a hard time, having copies to give to those people may help out and avoid a possible confrontation.
Some people just want to know why you want to cut, and finding out you
have a medical condition, is perfectly satisfactory reason.

I'm not sure if you are in a wheel chair or scooter, that could be a good reason
to skip ahead and go for the wheelchair access ones? Or just flash the card
when the special access one opens up.

Of course, keep note of all the restrooms, some are just more accessible than
others. Some have more numbers of stalls, some just have more traffic.
So, keep your eyes open. I drink lots of water, and make lots of pit stops, and between myself and my husband we know where all the restrooms are.

Have a great trip.
Connie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter