Um, Where's the Ice?! - A July 2012 European and DLRP Adventure*UPDATE 12/15 Pg.29*

Hi guys!

So I've loved having you all along for this one, but I'm thinking about not continuing. It looks like I've lost a lot of my readers on this one, and I have a lot more to talk about on the part to Europe. It was a 2 week trip after all.

If anyone is still reading out there, let me know what you think. I'm currently managing 4 TR's at one time. I'm trying to wrap up most of them, as I have trips in 2014 coming up that I'm going to write about. This one unfortunately just fell to the wayside after my Grandma's illness and her passing away.

I appreciate the feedback.

Keep going! I'm a disney novice and I love reading about someone with so much passion's adventures! We're going to DLRP next year and I am trying to absorb as much info as possible. Sorry for the loss of your Grandma x

I want you to continue... but also know it's not easy to have that many going at a time so understand if you want to stop:sad2::sad1:

What mom said. :thumbsup2 I am enjoying reading and touring Belgium since I probably will be able to go.

But I also understand if you stop. :worried:

I can understand if you go either way - I love looking at these pictures as they remind me of where I lived in Germany, but you've got so much going on besides this TR!

I'll be here reading if you continue, but if you don't I'll understand too!

Keep going! I'm a disney novice and I love reading about someone with so much passion's adventures! We're going to DLRP next year and I am trying to absorb as much info as possible. Sorry for the loss of your Grandma x

Thanks everyone (and Momma, LOL).

I'll do what I can to keep it going for now. Just don't mind me if it's slow moving.

I'm still here, and I'll keep reading if you keep writing... I've never done a TR, but it looks pretty time-consuming (and you've got 4 going?)! Your readers will understand, take your time!

I'm still here :thumbsup2

I'd love to hear about the rest of your trip, but I totally understand how it is with TRs, especially after a while once the excitement of the trip has worn off. I'm happy to just stay subbed in and see what happens.

I'm still here, and I'll keep reading if you keep writing... I've never done a TR, but it looks pretty time-consuming (and you've got 4 going?)! Your readers will understand, take your time!

It can be time-consuming. I enjoy writing them, sometimes life just gets in the way.

I'm still here :thumbsup2

I'd love to hear about the rest of your trip, but I totally understand how it is with TRs, especially after a while once the excitement of the trip has worn off. I'm happy to just stay subbed in and see what happens.

Glad you're still here. I'll keep updating, it will likely just be a little slow going.

Thanks everyone for reading along.

One thing that I forgot to mention earlier about the cathedral in Antwerp is that it has been under restoration since the 1960's. Restoring items as beautiful as a cathedral definitely takes some time. The reason that it's been under that for so long, according to Chris, is because Belgium has very strict laws about the restoration of items, and that they're not allowed to tear certain things down. The definitely lengthens the process. However, one thing that they discovered during the restoration were paintings on the walls and ceilings that they weren't aware were there.

Paintings that are extremely valuable. They were all covered over in white. Because during the war (really it should be plural, as they were invaded in World War I and World War II), they were all covered over in white. This was because they were afraid of what the Nazi's would do when they discovered it. They didn't want things taken for their value, and they didn't want them to understand the value of what was on the walls.

Thankfully, since they were forward looking and did that, it gave them something to restore later in life.

We moved onward with our tour of the city. Fry stands abound!

Touring one of the streets.

This leads into the narrowest and oldest street in Antwerp.

We headed out of the square and across the road so that we could get some information about the tours that they do on the river Schelde. Not necessarily to do a tour in that exact moment, but just to know in case we wanted to do one later.

You can see the cathedral tower from the street.

Leave it to my Pop to always make a silly face.

A view of the river.

After we walked around the river for a while, we headed to the Saint Catherine Beguinage. Here is some information on that for reference. Cause I had no idea what it was!:

They beguine-movement originated in the 12th century. It was a European phenomenon. Only the Netherlands build beguinages. They date back from the 13th century. Beguinages are communities of devout women who developed themselves into independent parishes with their own church and priest. They were walled mini towns with their own government and institutes.

It's pretty cool, like a mini town. They're not used in that manner anymore, they are apartments that people rent, but there is a church within the walls as well.

The guys were just chilling while Chris told us about everything.

When we were there wandering around, we came across the prettiest cat I've ever seen before. It was so sweet too!

And one of Chris' random shots.

We spent a great deal of time just wandering around the city and the beguinage. It was nice to just take it all in and have a good time.

This was the church that was within the walls of the beguinage. Chris and Heinz renewed their vows here on their 25th anniversary.

Continued in next post:

Because we had spent a lot of time touring the city and the beguinage, it was already approaching dinner time for us. Chris wanted to take us to one of their favorite restaurants. It's a plus to be with locals, because they know where to go that's actually good, not touristy places.

It's in a part of Antwerp that's referred to as Sint Anneke, and it's right on the river. This restaurant actually had a view of the river from the patio that we ate on.

We were in luck on this day, because the waitress told Chris that the mussels had just come in and the chef said they were good. You can get mussels all of the time, but they are best when they're in season, and the season had just started. They had just come in from Holland. Chris also mentioned that the chef won't serve them if they're not good, so the fact that they're on the menu was great.

The view of the river from our seat.

Our beer. This is a favorite of mine, for the record. In Belgium, they always serve the beer you order in it's glass, so this was De Koninck beer. It is available here as well, you just have to go to an actual store like Binny's.

I ordered mussels natural (mosselen - natuur met frites) and so did Dad. Of course they came with fries. I like them this way, as they are prepared with onion and celery and the broth really infuses the flavor.

My fries. Amazing, if you must know. But they better be, I mean we are in the land where fries were born!

This is Mom's, which is kabblejauw. It's a whitefish, and it's was incredible.

Chris had eel in pesto sauce.

And I was clearly super excited to eat my mussels!

Heinz also had mussels, which I forgot to get a picture of. He went off the reservation and got them in a curry sauce, which he liked very much.

Our server was kind enough to take our picture.

This was some of the best food I've ever eaten in my life. I'm a mussels snob if you want to know. The first time I really ate mussels was the first time we visited Belgium in 2010. Chris made them and they were incredible. And now this at this restaurant. Mussels at other restaurants have a whole lot to live up to, that's all I'm saying. And everyone else's food was incredible too. What a great way to start our culinary adventure in Belgium! In case anyone is curious, I finished the entire pot of mussels and all of the fries.

And of course, in traditional European fashion, you have to end your meal with a great coffee. Their coffee makes ours look horrible.

We headed out to the beach just to get a few pictures before heading back to the house. A beautiful restaurant right by the river.

Our restaurant from the beach.

Pop waving hi!

Tummies full, we headed back to the car and started to head back to the house. But, not before Chris and Heinz wanted to take us to a new ice cream parlor that had just opened up.

Literally on a street with houses and flats.

This is their specialty. Ice cream, whipped cream, put between two waffle cookies. You choose your flavors of ice cream.

It was the perfect ending to a great day. When we got back to the house, all we did was drink more coffee (duh!), and sit around and talk. Being so far apart, we have a lot of things to talk about.

Oh, and in case anyone wants to see, this is the Antwerp special edition Kipling that I bought. Only available in Antwerp when we were there. So glad I picked it up!

Up next: Relaxing around town and visiting the market.

Your pictures are making me want to visit Belgium! Great food, quaint little streets, history...my kind of vacation!
I also looked up Beguinage, very interesting!
I'm glad you decided to continue your report :)

MMM that food was good for sure... looking at the pictures brings back the memories.... Just awesome.

It does bring back memories, doesn't it? That food was great.

Your pictures are making me want to visit Belgium! Great food, quaint little streets, history...my kind of vacation!
I also looked up Beguinage, very interesting!
I'm glad you decided to continue your report :)

It's one of my favorite places to visit. I may be a bit biased, but it's such a broad and well rounded country to me. We've always had the best time there.

It does bring back memories, doesn't it? That food was great.

It's one of my favorite places to visit. I may be a bit biased, but it's such a broad and well rounded country to me. We've always had the best time there.

You better be a little biased...... You are half Belgian you know :thumbsup2:thumbsup2.

And the Belgians are know for their good food and beer.

Wow, what a gorgeous city. The streets and the market areas remind me so much of Aachen, in Germany! I think Aachen was my favorite city I visited while living abroad, and your pictures are definitely taking me back. I love the idea of all the pedestrian areas; I wish we had more like that in America, but it does make it decidedly European when you see anything even remotely like them! And that cat is beautiful; cats seem to be all over the place over there! I remember the Coliseum in Rome having a ton of them. For the rats, maybe?

I also love knowing locals so I could go to the non-touristy places, and that meal looks pretty epic. Though I did cringe a bit at eel in pesto sauce, ugh. :crazy2: lol!!

And of course, the beer (in their "official" glass of course) and the coffee! Your coffee looks delicious, what is it? I'm just starting to drink coffee (had my first partial cup at Disney last week, and have had a bit since), so I'm very interested in different kinds. For now, I'm going straight black on any I drink. I figure I can build on it later.

Definitely the best part of traveling with locals, the restaurants they pick!! Your meal sounds wonderful. And what a gorgeous beach behind!

I Just got here. I'm on sick leave so I'm catching up on the dis.

First of all, how's your dad and family doing?

Wow. What an amazing brother you have!

I have to work today so I am checking out the DIS boards and looks whose TR bumped. :thumbsup2

Great update. The pictures are beautiful and that church is just too adorable. What a sweet cat!

And mussels - OMG - I love them and they look fantastic. Lovely setting for a restaurant. What a great day!

You better be a little biased...... You are half Belgian you know :thumbsup2:thumbsup2.

And the Belgians are know for their good food and beer.

I would certainly hope I was a little biased. :thumbsup2

Wow, what a gorgeous city. The streets and the market areas remind me so much of Aachen, in Germany! I think Aachen was my favorite city I visited while living abroad, and your pictures are definitely taking me back. I love the idea of all the pedestrian areas; I wish we had more like that in America, but it does make it decidedly European when you see anything even remotely like them! And that cat is beautiful; cats seem to be all over the place over there! I remember the Coliseum in Rome having a ton of them. For the rats, maybe?

I do love the fact that the pedestrian areas are a Europe thing. Makes it better to go and visit and see things that are unique I think.

I remember the cats at the Colosseum too when we were there in March. There are cats all over Belgium too. :confused3

I also love knowing locals so I could go to the non-touristy places, and that meal looks pretty epic. Though I did cringe a bit at eel in pesto sauce, ugh. :crazy2: lol!!

And of course, the beer (in their "official" glass of course) and the coffee! Your coffee looks delicious, what is it? I'm just starting to drink coffee (had my first partial cup at Disney last week, and have had a bit since), so I'm very interested in different kinds. For now, I'm going straight black on any I drink. I figure I can build on it later.

While it does appear cringeworthy, the eel was super yummy. Not for everyone, but I thought it was good.

It was just coffee, nothing special off the menu. It was their standard at the restaurant. Over there, it's just yummy. :good vibes Their coffees tend to be a naturally darker roast, so you could equate it to dark roast here.

Definitely the best part of traveling with locals, the restaurants they pick!! Your meal sounds wonderful. And what a gorgeous beach behind!

The food was one of the best parts of the whole trip.

I Just got here. I'm on sick leave so I'm catching up on the dis.

First of all, how's your dad and family doing?

Wow. What an amazing brother you have!

Glad you're here. I'm sorry that you are on sick leave, that's no good.

My Dad is doing good. He's adapted to his diabetes diagnosis pretty well and is doing better. The rest of the family is good too.

It was very nice of Chris to take me to Italy. It was definitely unexpected.

I have to work today so I am checking out the DIS boards and looks whose TR bumped. :thumbsup2

Great update. The pictures are beautiful and that church is just too adorable. What a sweet cat!

And mussels - OMG - I love them and they look fantastic. Lovely setting for a restaurant. What a great day!

Mussels are a favorite of mine, they're so good. And in particular, they're amazing in Belgium. It makes you understand why they are known for it.

Walkers shortbread rock!

I often don't realize how much import we get from the UK because Canada is still owned by them hehe I guess I take all that for granted.

My experience with American Express is that it's often not accepted in Canada or elsewhere. So I always carry my Visa. I know that amex sometimes sucks! :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter