Ummm.. would this be tacky?

gopherit

I'm not in the book, you know.
My sister and her family are going to be in WDW during part of our trip. DS and my nieces plan to join my dd and I for CRT. Or at least -- they SAY they are. But the trip is, let's face it, a few months away, and they have quite a bit going on in their lives in the interim -- including the fact that one niece will be going to college the week after our family Disney trip! (Nieces are both in their teens -- my dd is almost 4.) Let's just say they aren't in a planning mode for this trip. I just have a feeling so many things could come up -- like they have other commitments, or whatever -- things that would wreck a ressie for 5!

So here's the thing -- would it be tacky if, for my dd's sake, I make a second ressie for just the 2 of us later during our vacation when sis & Co. aren't there? (We are there for 12 days) At least this way my dd is assured that one way or the other, she's going to Cindy's, regardless of how her aunt's/cousins' plans may go. And this way, if DS does have to pull out of the trip, I can just cancel that ressie, and keep the later one. The other option is that I leave it as a ressie for 5 and, if sis is a no-show, I make dh and our 2 boys go with us to the castle. I can just see their faces now (princess lovers, they AIN'T. Might have to do the Heimlich and CPR on my 9 yr old if a princess were to kiss him.)

Input appreciated!

I say make both reservations. Tell them (if you feel you have to say anything) that you also wanted a special Mommy-Daughter breakfast at the castle. I think you would feel better having both reservations just in case. You could always cancel the extra and never say a word. Who would have to know?

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

That's a great plan...........................I don't see and "tack" in it.............:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

What about making just one reservation for the combined party and then if your sister's family can't join you, just call and change it from 5 to 2. I had no problem changing ours that way a couple of years ago. Changing from 2 to 5 would be a problem I imagine but you can reduce the size of your party. Just frees up a couple more spaces for some random caller.

I don't think it's at all tacky, I think it's a great idea!!

As an FYI, with the new system, it can be difficult if not impossible to change a reservation, even to less people.

Anne

Originally posted by ducklite
I don't think it's at all tacky, I think it's a great idea!!

As an FYI, with the new system, it can be difficult if not impossible to change a reservation, even to less people.

Anne

Anne,

Could you explain a bit more the new system. I just made a reservation for seven thinking if the other party couldn't make it I could easily change it to the four of us. Is this for all restaurants?

thanks!

Pat

Not at all tacky to cover the bases for your own DD and keep a princess from being disappointed. Remember it is your vacation as well and you should not leave wishing you had done something! As Anne said they really can't accomadate change in the system easily if at all, so you should cover all your bases.

I didn't have any trouble reducing #s on PSs at the end of March? Had the new system not been installed at that point?

Of course, none of those PSs needed a deposit. Perhaps that's the problem.

Anyway, good luck with both PSs, gopherit. Who knows, maybe you'll enjoy it so much, you'll want to go twice.:teeth:

The new system, and the problem that Ducklite referred to, doesn't apply to all PS's. For most restaurants, it's easy to reduce the number of your party and keep the PS. CRT is an exception. Because it is so popular, they've implemented a lot of rules that are exclusive to CRT, such as paying a deposit and not being able to make changes to your PS (even to reduce the number) without cancelling the entire PS.

gopherit - I think your plan is the best way to go - make a second PS for just you and DD. Regardless of what happens with your sister and her family, you'll have a magical breakfast with your princess!

I don't think it would be tacky. You are right that when you travel with others not everyone wants to do the same thing or their plans might change and since going to Cindy's is important to you and dd I think you should have a backup plan so if they end up not going your dd won't be disappointed.

Regarding reducing or adding.

I had both problems this past December.

I tried to add one person (from 8 people to 9) to LTT dinner and was never able to.

Then I tried to change a H&V Fantasmic package from 9 people to 5 and the rude CM told me the ONLY way is to cancel that PS and 'hope' that it goes back into the system and that I can get the released PS (my own PS!!). I was SO angry.

I told her to cancel the table for 9 because they do have my CC for this and 4 people were not coming. I then hung up on her and called back and got a very nice CM who told me now that I had my pick of times!

Go figure.

What I learned was they do not just change your PS. They cancel it and try to get a new table for the correct amount so if you are going a busy time or have a CC guarantee that is when you run into trouble.

Originally posted by BCV23
What about making just one reservation for the combined party and then if your sister's family can't join you, just call and change it from 5 to 2. I had no problem changing ours that way a couple of years ago. Changing from 2 to 5 would be a problem I imagine but you can reduce the size of your party. Just frees up a couple more spaces for some random caller.

You might think that but you would be wrong. there are only so many seatings for various size parties, if you drop in size that does not mean they just seat fewer at your table. If by the time you call to change there are no two person seatings left you are out of luck.

Okay, since it is so hard to get PS for CRT for our trip, do you think it is possible(maybe not likely - but possible) to get a PS once we are there? It seems that many people make 2 PSs for CRT because they are not sure which day their DDs will want to go, or in this case the party size may change.

Anyway, is it theoretically possible to call and get one of the cancelled due to change in plans PSs?

I did the same thing for my trip in June. I made two PSs for CG because friends were supposed to join us for one night. They have since decided they won't be joining us, but we still have the ressie. If we want it, it's there. If not, we'll call and cancel.
Not CRT, but it is for us :teeth:

Originally posted by McCall
You might think that but you would be wrong. there are only so many seatings for various size parties, if you drop in size that does not mean they just seat fewer at your table. If by the time you call to change there are no two person seatings left you are out of luck.

Nope, I think I am right. We have changed the number on our PSs many times because one member of our family has health issues that lead fairly often to needing to reduce the # for dinner PSs. We have never been given a new # nor had any kind of problem. I think the restaurants just work with the tables as need be in the same way that they work with one family staying at a table for one hour while another is there for two.

Even for our CRT, when I called to reduce the #, we did not get a new PS #. This was probably a week or two out and I doubt there was an empty table.

Of course this is OT to the original query anyway and as others have noted, things are different for CRT breakfast now.

momxx5, don't give up hope. I would call first thing on the morning you wish to dine and see if there was a cancellation. Others have reported being able to walk up to the podium and snag one. Good luck!

First of all -- thanks for responding, folks! :)

Secondly -- I would imagine that in some cases (non-CRT or not a similar pre-pay, like HDDR or luau, etc), that so long as it didn't mean a whole different table size, it could be done. For example, going from 4 down to 3, or going from 5 up to 6. Probably not a biggie. 8 to 9 however is probably crossing a "threshold" number in some places that necessitates 2 tables -- where perhaps only one is available.

In any case -- I am a very very fortunate woman! I got the ressie for 5 folks at 8 am on the Wed. we are all there, and then made a ressie for 8 am at Crystal Palace for the rest (8) of our non-princess loving "gang". In a few days I will make (all things permitting!) my ressie for 2 at CRT for later during our stay. Sooooo.... if sis and crew do come, the princess lovers (and non-lovers!) will all have a place to go at the same time at the same park, which will make meeting / coordinating afterwards a bit easier.

And if my sis does NOT come, I will cancel the CRT for 5 once I know this for sure, and then attend the CP breakfast (her dh and one other will then not be attending, if she doesn't come, so that would leave room for me and dd to do the "pooh thing" with everyone else!) Then dd and I can go to CRT later for a girl's bfast out!

NOW... if I could just figure out how to "family-proof" the rest of my plans for the trip, I'd be a content and happy woman!

For the very popular character meals they definitely know what tables they have and their sizes. We tried Princess storybook for 8 and told they did not have table for 8 but we could do 6 and 2 or 4 and 4.

I also found out last year (May 2003 - I don't know if this it the "new" system) that if you cancel a PS, it does NOT immediately become available. All the cancellations are put back into the system as available during the overnight period and then the Concierge staff gets first crack at filling their guest's PS requests. This is(was) why CL can get CRT or Princess storybook less that 2 weeks out. One small advantage of paying the big bucks.

Chuck

gopherit, you've got to love it when a plan comes together. Good luck with your other PS and happy planning!

The changes we make have usually been 5 to 3 and sometimes 4 to 2 so it does involve a change in table size. Perhaps there is even a difference if you're making the change on day of dining which we usually have to do.

I agree with you Chuck that they do have specific table size bookings available. For our family of five, I've sometimes been told that we'll be seated at a table for 2 and a table for 4...although we've always been seated together when we actually dine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter