• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unauthorized Disney Merchandise

I have always wondered about this too. Especially when creators get mad at others for "stealing" their designs. I mean I get that you made something but everyone is stealing from Disney.
Yep. That part (getting mad at people "stealing" from you) drives me crazy.

This is a business news site that is directed at companies that deal in licensed merchandise:
https://www.valueaddedresource.net/disney-cracks-down-on-ip-infringement-resellers/

I'm certain that if the perpetrators had paid Disney's licensing fees this would be a non-issue. Disney tends not to care all that much when small hobbyist crafters sell handmade Disney-inspired merchandise, but when you engage in actual full-scale manufacturing using trademarked images, or worse, claim or imply that the merchandise is "official", then you either pay the licensing fee and abide by its terms, or you get sued for trademark infringement.

Something important to think about: if Disney does not get their licensing fees off of businesses like this, then don't be surprised when the prices in the Parks keep rising. This is low-hanging revenue that Disney can get from a lot of sources, which would then mean that the company wouldn't be so dependent on Parks revenues to offset losses in other divisions of the company. Having them ignore this kind of large-scale counterfeiting operation hurts everyone who likes to visit the parks or who owns stock in Disney.

This has nothing to do with country of origin. This is simply to insure that Disney gets a license fee if somebody uses Disney IP for a profit.
Most of us are guilty of patronizing people who profit from other peoples work / ideas. Think of street musicians who play other artists songs, the performers probably aren’t paying the song writer royalties. Why are we so upset when someone use Disney ideas?

Last edited:
Most of us are guilty of patronizing people who profit from other peoples work / ideas. Think of street musicians who play other artists songs, the performers probably aren’t paying the song writer royalties. Why are we so upset when someone use Disney ideas?
Why aren't we upset when street musicians play artist songs without paying them royalties? Doesn't the writer deserve it?

Why aren't we upset when street musicians play artist songs without paying them royalties? Doesn't the writer deserve it?
Have you ever tipped a street musician? If yes, then you are guilty like me for patronizing someone who profits from some else’s ideas.

Yes the song writer deserves something. But I am not going to argue with the street performer.

I will still tip the street performer, and you can call me a hypocrite.

Yes the song writer deserves something. But I am not going to argue with the street performer.
I guess we are assuming different things about the street musician.

Street performer isn't passing themselves off as the artist though. While both still deal licenses I know the street busker isn't Billy Joel, I may not know that item I just bought on Amazon isn't really a Disney product. Granted a lot on here might know but most people wouldn't.

I think there's also a difference between someone selling Toy Story inspired ears on etsy where it invokes the characters but doesn't actually use them and someone selling a character shirt with Mickey on. There's a reason a lot of the Disney shirts you find on etsy and elsewhere don't use Disney logos etc yet can still make cute stuff.

Anyone else following the Disney lawsuit against the husband and wife making and selling unauthorized Disney ears? Sorry if this has already been posted - I don't recall seeing one. I assume it is ok to discuss.

I understand Disney's position, but there are SO MANY selling copyrighted/trademarked knock off merchandise, I don't know how they could prevent them all.
I went to Gran Canaria in Canary Islands all inclusive and there was a few market shops selling fake Disney products and purchased a Disney product it broke. The market shops in Gran Canaria had business cards but there was spelling mistakes which wasn't professional. There was people going around to each pub selling fake stuff and if you said no to purchase you'd get called Delboy from only fools and horses TV show.

I have some advice about booking a Disney holiday the safest way to book is book appointment with a Travel agency in the town.
If booking online use official website.
Avoid booking on social media
If you are booking with Travel agent online in UK make sure they are fully ABTA and ATOL protected by using the search tool on the ABTA and ATOL licences.
If you are booking a Disney vacation and your in US them make sure they are licensed with ASTA or IATAN and fully authorised ticket seller if purchasing tickets only.
If a travel company asks you to pay via bank transfers to an individual them that could be a sign of a scam.
Avoid purchasing park tickets at vendors because they might issue a used ticket.

For as long as I can remember unauthorized Disney merchandise has always been one of the most common things you see and where I have seen this pop up is in the toys and it's not only Disney merchandise that is unauthorized it's also Marvel merchandise as well. Take for example if you go to a store like Big Lots or a dollar store you'll see action figures that look like real Marvel action figures but they have a different name and the character names are different too. Like Spider-Man might be known as Spider Hero or Captain America might be known as American Hero and so on. I also noticed this with Disney Princess dolls and if you go to any dollar store you'll notice that the dolls may look like official Disney Princess dolls but just like the Marvel action figures the princess dolls have different names. Like Princess Aurora might be called Princess Rose Ariel might known as Mermaid Princess Tiana may be known as The Frog Princess and Anna and Elsa might be called Winter Princess and Snow Queen. I don't know when these toys became popular and common but they seem to be really huge in the dollar stores

3D Magic Ears. great 3D printed, quality ears made in the USA. Massachusetts to be exact. Support made in the USA

For as long as I can remember unauthorized Disney merchandise has always been one of the most common things you see and where I have seen this pop up is in the toys and it's not only Disney merchandise that is unauthorized it's also Marvel merchandise as well. Take for example if you go to a store like Big Lots or a dollar store you'll see action figures that look like real Marvel action figures but they have a different name and the character names are different too. Like Spider-Man might be known as Spider Hero or Captain America might be known as American Hero and so on. I also noticed this with Disney Princess dolls and if you go to any dollar store you'll notice that the dolls may look like official Disney Princess dolls but just like the Marvel action figures the princess dolls have different names. Like Princess Aurora might be called Princess Rose Ariel might known as Mermaid Princess Tiana may be known as The Frog Princess and Anna and Elsa might be called Winter Princess and Snow Queen. I don't know when these toys became popular and common but they seem to be really huge in the dollar stores

1678731443269.jpeg

i have mix feelings about this also. On one hand Disney has all the rights but almost all their products are made overseas. The Etsy products are generally made in the US by a small american business. So if you want to support American products what do you do?
"made in America" but with foreign goods - most likely. I worked for GM and even though we assembled in America, some parts are most definitely not made in America.

Have you ever tipped a street musician? If yes, then you are guilty like me for patronizing someone who profits from some else’s ideas.

I will still tip the street performer, and you can call me a hypocrite.
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief…

/I stole this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter