Unique timed processes of the waitlist

disneylandtour

Mouseketeer
So I know the basics of the waitlist. But twice this year (since January), I've put in a waitlist request, and twice, I've later found that exact room available to anyone with a general search (and grabbed it). Both times I checked my waitlist request before deactivating it (Kidani, check; standard view, check; studio, check) and both times the room location and type was identical to my waitlist request. Even though there was a room available by doing a general "book a vacation" search, the waitlist function didn't activate and book the room for me. (Also, yes, I had available points on the account, more than enough to cover the room).

My initial guess is that there's a fairly wide timed function in the waitlist system--for example, the waitlist only does a sweep for open rooms every two or four or six hours?

But also, I'm pretty sure that some here have figured out exactly how this works a long time ago.

So I'm posting up my question, hopeful someone knows.

thanks.

Stalking and Waitlisting are your friend. May the odds be with you.

There's clearly code that drives waitlist checks at certain points in the day. I'm guessing someone here has already figured out what the intervals or time points are. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

There's clearly code that drives waitlist checks at certain points in the day. I'm guessing someone here has already figured out what the intervals or time points are. That's what I'm trying to figure out.
I've not seen that anyone has. There have been times I've cancelled popular rooms, often after much of the country would have trundled off to bed, and had some or all of the nights gone by the time I can search again on it which led me to think the waitlist matching was more real time than some thought. I've also seen my room I've had waitlisted and booked it, checked that there wasn't another available to be booked, cancelled my waitlist and checked again and it's now there since my waitlist had matched and was just waiting to be completed by a CM.

More recently I've picked up a couple of nights that simply where there but my waitlist had not picked it up which makes me think it isn't so real time or something has changed.

My conclusion? No idea. But I have had waitlists match and I've also picked up nights that the waitlist hasn't. You want to do both if you have the time and it's important to you to do your best to get the room.

Agree with @KAT4DISNEY, the workings of the DVC waitlist is a complete mystery. I have had stalking the website work over the waitlist and I have had waitlists also work over stalking. So who the heck knows.

I think it's clear to say that they don't generally pull rooms to waitlists instantly. I consider if it's a room I really, really want - I stalk and waitlist. If it's a room I just kinda sorta would like, I'll let the waitlist do it's thing. My experience with waitlists is if it's a short timeframe (3 or less nights) it has generally eventually come through with the waitlist. Longer wait lists (6-7 days) have never come through for me.

The question I have is why do released rooms go back into general booking before being grabbed by the waitlist, instead of going directly into a separate wait list queue. There’s no technical reason it works like this, so I wonder why?

Personally we have found that WL are more frequently filled by Disney when it's only a day or two. Currently we have 2 5N WL for December. I doubt they'll every be filled. I put them through in January. May we'll be in the 7-month deadline so I'll go in and see if I can grab a Wilderness Cabin. If so, I'll clear the WL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter