• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal re-evaluating SeussLand?

By taking the books out of publication they are making it possible for children to continue reading Seuss books. Seuss as a whole isn't cancelled but the particular offensive titles are being withdrawn. This isn't something new, there have been discussions among teachers and librarians regarding offensive illustrations in Seuss books for at least the last 10 years. For the last 3 years my district has asked us to reduce the emphasis on Seuss during Read Across America week as has the NEA because of the offensive illustrations. Most surrounding districts do the same. As a school librarian, I've taken the offending titles out of my school's collection.

Renaming some of the areas in Seussland would be appropriate imo as several of the areas are named for specific Seuss books that are no longer in publication and are now associated with racist illustrations.

If you look at the titles no longer in publication and you do not see anything offensive, try talking to your friends of color about it, try reading about why the illustrations are offensive. Just chalking it up to cancel culture is a missed opportunity to see how people of color are marginalized and what you can do to prevent it from continuing.

By taking the books out of publication they are making it possible for children to continue reading Seuss books. Seuss as a whole isn't cancelled but the particular offensive titles are being withdrawn. This isn't something new, there have been discussions among teachers and librarians regarding offensive illustrations in Seuss books for at least the last 10 years. For the last 3 years my district has asked us to reduce the emphasis on Seuss during Read Across America week as has the NEA because of the offensive illustrations. Most surrounding districts do the same. As a school librarian, I've taken the offending titles out of my school's collection.

If they did not take the few titles out of publication, they were in danger of having Seuss completely cancelled. What the publisher did was damage control but it may have been too late.

Renaming some of the areas in Seussland would be appropriate imo as several of the areas are named for specific Seuss books that are no longer in publication and are now associated with racist illustrations.

If you look at the titles no longer in publication and you do not see anything offensive, try talking to your friends of color about it, try reading about why the illustrations are offensive. Just chalking it up to cancel culture is a missed opportunity to see how people of color are marginalized and what you can do to prevent it from continuing.

Most kids I know are not big Seuss fans. Even the younger kids I know have moved on to other, more adventurous, stories.

I don't think it's a huge IP but it's one that's pretty much guaranteed to stand the test of time and have universal recognition. Everyone knows the Grinch and many of the other stories like Cat in the Hat and Lorax and very well known. Whereas most kids IPs come and go frequently. 10years is a good run for most before they are widely forgotten. It's another reason I think Cedar Fair was smart to go with Peanuts for their kids areas. Not a huge draw but one that isn't going to drop either.

Most kids I know are not big Seuss fans. Even the younger kids I know have moved on to other, more adventurous, stories.

They might not be reading them at the moment, because they've moved on to more advanced reading. But that doesn't mean that Seuss doesn't have happy memories for them. DD is 10, and it has been a long time since she read a Seuss book. But, she loved the Seuss area. I loved the Seuss area. It is just so stinkin' charming.

Our first two trips, we skipped the Cat in the Hat ride for the same reason we skipped the carousel. That was a huge mistake. That ride is brilliant. Yes, a kids ride. But it is like riding through the book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter