Universal says: We will win in 2002

Lets hope disney isnt too cheap to be dragged up to Universal's level and they will create a world class ride like Spiderman!!!! Or is the best we can expect from disney is redone carny rides unless somebody else pays the bill!!!

I go to the University of Central Florida and I am 20. From what a lot of people have said thus far on this topic do to the fact that I am older I should probably choose IOA over Disney. This is definitely not the case. Last year I had the 2 park annual pass for Universal and a Disney Premium Annual. I bought the Universal pass due to the fact that it was about the price of going three times. I did not find Universal to be more than a day event. I really don't think that anything other than Men in Black and Terminator are that great at Universal Studios. At Islands of Adventure there are several good rides but when I would go last year I would never want to really go on them more than once. I do not think that several of the big rides at IOA are very impressive. Doctor Dooms Fearfall was just a huge waste of time. It is the same type of ride that exists at carnivals. Jurassic Park for me is definitely not a Splash Mtn. I prefer Kali Radids to Popeye and Bluto at IOA. Spiderman is an excellent ride but I would not enjoy just riding it all day. The only show that i enjoyed was the Poseidon one and they changed it for the worse in my opinion.

When I am at Disney I can just sit and enjoy my surroundings. The park is clean and enjoyable. I don't just ride the rides for the nostalgia. I ride them because they are fund well done attractions. I remember when I was in line for the hulk right before boarding there was trash just thrown everywhere on this one table. It smelled do to the amount of garbage. I never see loads of garbage thrown around the entrance of RnR coaster. I just think that Disney is far superior. When it came time to renew my passes, Disney was of course redone but I did not even think about renewing my Universal pass. I have not gone once this year and don't really miss it. This is just my opinion on the subject and I don't reject anyone elses opinion of Universal being worth a 5 day stay I just don't know where the time would go.

One last thing Pleasure Island make Citywalk look bad. Several college friends and I go to Pleasure Island at least once or twice a month. It is always a blast on Friday and Saturday nights. I would think that these older kids or teens that don't like Pirates and the Mansion would actually want to do something at night.

Very well put Killer Fish, I agree with all your points. I too prefer PI to CityWalk (gotta love those cast nights). I could also go into any of the Disney parks, find a bench, sit there all day, and have a GREAT time.

Disney is the only park where you don't have to ride one ride and have the time of your life. Just look at Innoventions! I love the music. I am listening to Ellen's Energy Adventure music right now! If you would like a copy, just e-mail me and I'll hook you up.

Fish & Show, you bring up a great point. I, too, could spend an entire day just moving from bench to bench around the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Studios or Animal Kingdom. Without even seeing one show or enjoying a single attraction, I really think I would have an enjoyable day. I could never see myself doing that at IOA or USF. Perhaps it's some part nostalgia (but that wouldn't really apply to AK or the Studios). This probably doesn't matter to either company, but it is an interesting notion.

I'll admit that I'm a Disney fanatic. But I did give US a try. I only had a 1 night stay, but stayed off property (around 1999) after IOA opened. We went to US instead of IOA since it was our first trip to their property. My wife, who isn't nearly as big of a Disney fan as me, was not impressed by US. She prefers the theming of Disney, the queues and the overall experience. For us, Disney is the way to go. I'd like to try IOA someday, but I can assure you it would be a one day visit surrounded by days at WDW. For those that prefer US/IOA, good for you. That's your preference. Mine is Disney. I can respect your choice. US has some decent rides, but they're just not for me.
In a way, WDW actually made Orlando/Central FL. Look what happened after word got out that Walt was buying the land to develop into the resort. The town/area grew like wildfire. Hotels sprang up and other attractions opened all in hopes of feeding off WDW crowds. For 3 decades, when people said they were going to "Disney" they meant Central FL/Orlando. Many people still say it. Are things changing? Maybe. To me, it just means Disney needs to step up and persuade those people that Orlando means WDW more than anything else. US/IOA has the same opportunity. Heathy competition is a good thing.
But in the end, I'll always be a Disney fan! Give me Pirates and Muppets over Kong and Back to the Future any day!

i was very impressed with Universal/IOA in April of 2001 . I stayed at the hotel and i really like teh front of the line idea. However i still believe WDW will win the battle in 2002 and years to come.

I have no gripe with Universal or IOA (I've never been) but I happen to like Disney. It's what I grew up on and how I was raised. I hope people find the same level of happiness at Universal that I did when my parents took me to Disney.

A telling thing is that when you tell people you are going to Orlando what is the first thing that comes to mind? Disney of course....it's almost cultural! :)

Jason

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter