Universal Studios Hollywood AP - Costco vs. USH?

kelsea823

Earning My Ears
Hello!

Does anyone have any experience with the Costco and USH AP?

The major difference I can see other than certain blackout dates is that a USH AP perk lets you in an hour earlier than park open.

People with Costco AP said that isn't one of their perks but they allow them in early anyway.

The Costco AP is $20 cheaper and has less black out days.

Thanks for any and all advice!

We bought the Costco ones and will use them Friday. I will try to report back if they let us in for early entry. I didn't even know they sometimes allowed it, so thanks for the heads up!

I bought the gold one at Costco. FYI, it took over 12 hours for them to email it. It doesn't come with early entry. But at regular park opening only HP was open anyway. With the early hour you get 2 hours of HP, which you don't really need most of the time.

We upgraded to passes while we were at Universal (june 2016). Their pass system is very different from Disney. The blackout dates can change. They were paper tickets which had the blackout dates on them and had a specific websites connected to that ticket tier.

Our blackout change was in our favor. But tricky upon planning.

This may have changed as they were probably trying to work out Harry Potter crowds. Just look at the fine print.

(Also, we found that HP was busiest in the morning and crowds died down in the afternoon. It fluctuated throughout the day. So early entry wasn't a great deal)

FWIW the only changes we've seen to blackouts are adding days *you can go*. I haven't seen any added blackouts dates.

Hello!

Does anyone have any experience with the Costco and USH AP?

The major difference I can see other than certain blackout dates is that a USH AP perk lets you in an hour earlier than park open.

People with Costco AP said that isn't one of their perks but they allow them in early anyway.

The Costco AP is $20 cheaper and has less black out days.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Are you comparing the Costco pass to the California Neighbor Pass sold on the USH website? If you are, then there is a huge difference the you seem to be missing. The Costco one is good for 12 months from the day you activate it. The California USH pass is only good for 9 months from the date you activate. Just sayin'.

Are you comparing the Costco pass to the California Neighbor Pass sold on the USH website? If you are, then there is a huge difference the you seem to be missing. The Costco one is good for 12 months from the day you activate it. The California USH pass is only good for 9 months from the date you activate. Just sayin'.

Yeah, that is the main reason we went with the Costco AP (a bit cheaper and good for 12 months after first use, though no food/merch discount) over the USH California Neighbor Pass (good for 9 months after first use, still no food/merch discount). The blackout days were a bit different I believe, but extra 3 months is what did it for us.

USH does have a Gold and Platinum passes, but they are quite a bit more. Gold - good for 12 months after first use, includes parking, 15% food/merch discount, about 20 blackout days. Platinum - good for 12 months after first use, includes parking and front-of-the-line, 15% food/merch discount, no blackout days.

If do want parking included, there is the Costco Gold AP that folks mentioned earlier in the thread. It is still cheaper than USH Gold and includes parking but has about 30 blackout days.

I haven't tried early entry with the Costco AP. May give it a go next time to see if they do allow even though doesn't say it is included.

edit to add: Both Costco APs and USH California Neighbor passes do not have discounts in the park as noted above, however they do have a 10-20% discount with participating CityWalk locations.

Last edited:
I'm not a Costco Member so I can't see the prices. Would someone be willing to share the price of the gold please :)

Gold is $199.99 and regular is $109.99.

Gold has the following benefits:

• Come any date on the first visit
  • Valid for 12 consecutive months from selected first visit date
  • 337 available days for return visits, including 83 weekend days¹
  • Includes free General Parking on every valid visit before 5:00 p.m.²
  • 15% discount on in-park food, beverage and merchandise³
  • 10%-20% discount at participating CityWalk® locations⁴
  • Special event access and sweepstakes opportunities

Gold is $199.99 and regular is $109.99.

Gold has the following benefits:

• Come any date on the first visit
  • Valid for 12 consecutive months from selected first visit date
  • 337 available days for return visits, including 83 weekend days¹
  • Includes free General Parking on every valid visit before 5:00 p.m.²
  • 15% discount on in-park food, beverage and merchandise³
  • 10%-20% discount at participating CityWalk® locations⁴
  • Special event access and sweepstakes opportunities
Thank you!

FWIW, we were able to use the early entry with our Costco annual passes. It was our first day of use, so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

FWIW, we were able to use the early entry with our Costco annual passes. It was our first day of use, so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

I'd love to know if you were able to get in a second day early entry with the Costco Annual pass. We are considering buying one for one person for the discounts and 2 day passes that come with early entry for everyone else. We are heading in July, so the non gold costco annual pass will not work for everyone.

I'd love to know if you were able to get in a second day early entry with the Costco Annual pass. We are considering buying one for one person for the discounts and 2 day passes that come with early entry for everyone else. We are heading in July, so the non gold costco annual pass will not work for everyone.

Sorry, we only did the one day there this trip. We may go back next month - if we do, I'll let you know.

That said, the non-gold Costco pass doesn't come with any discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter