Universal's Epic Universe - News and Discussion

Are you excited for Epic Universe?

• Yes

• No

• I'm excited for everything but the name.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a business meeting in Orlando in late-summer 2025. And while I want to see this new park, I'm worried that Universal will be swamped that first week of August. I don't have much interest in WDW anymore. Used to, that was the place to go. But I'm just not a fan of the people who do Disney anymore. It seems the fans of Universal are so much more chill and not worried about anything but having a good time. I've never seen an irate fan at Universal. Disney? Different altogether.

I have a business meeting in Orlando in late-summer 2025. And while I want to see this new park, I'm worried that Universal will be swamped that first week of August. I don't have much interest in WDW anymore. Used to, that was the place to go. But I'm just not a fan of the people who do Disney anymore. It seems the fans of Universal are so much more chill and not worried about anything but having a good time. I've never seen an irate fan at Universal. Disney? Different altogether.
You must have never visited the Universal Passholder Facebook page. Or been to a Universal garage sale.

I don't know if this will get us there a full week, but we have been moving more and more WDW time to Universal. We visit for 15 nights 2 out of every 3 years. Used to be all WDW. Then we went to 1 day at Universal. Then a few trips with 2 full days. On the last trip it was 3. Epic will make it at least 4, but I could see 5.

WDW still has golf which is an extra day for us, but otherwise it's getting hard to justify not switching more time from WDW to Universal. We are DVC which ordinarily would make that problematic. But our space needs have grown since we purchased in 2000, so now we get larger accommodations for fewer days.
Maybe not a full 7 day week, but I could see this getting an average trip to 5 days easily. I found 3 days perfect for us before without Volcano Bay. That gave a day to each park and a 3rd to rehit favorites and allow some time to relax and enjoy the pools/resorts. So could see two more days easily with Volcano Bay and Epic Universe added into the equation. Potentially more even as they add additional stuff outside the parks. The mini golf there is great, and haven't done it but the escape rooms add more. If they ever put in the rumored comedy hall I could see more evenings, or even a day to just resorts/city walk being an option.
That is one area Disney definitely excels at in comparison. It's easy to have a non park (ride or water) there but not so much at Universal unless you are fine spending hours just lounging by the pool. Disney Springs is huge, golf, multiple minigolf, boats, shows (Cirque, Hoop-de-doo, etc.), horseback riding, Boardwalk (along with its bars). They seem to be slowly developing CityWalk to include more and if they added an additional CityWalk type area by Epic Universe this could add even more of that type of stuff.
Don't see it happening for awhile, but if/when they add a fourth dry park next to EU it will easily be a full week resort.

We did all of Universal Hollywood, including Super Mario Land, in one day this past summer. I think UO/IOA could still be experienced quite fully in 3 days even when the new addition opens, especially by folks who take advantage of Early Access or Express passes. That said, I would still be more inclined to spend a 5 day trip at UO than WDW at this point, even if Express pass makes it not strictly necessary. It's still going to be cheaper than WDW, and less hassle for everything from line-skipping, park-hopping to dining reservations.

I drove by the site a few weeks ago and was flabbergasted by the enormous size of the land. From the car, I could barely see the top-hat for one of the coasters.

The new interchange to get to EU is a massive project too.

The latest YT vids I've seen show some really good detailing of the lands/structures.

We did all of Universal Hollywood, including Super Mario Land, in one day this past summer. I think UO/IOA could still be experienced quite fully in 3 days even when the new addition opens, especially by folks who take advantage of Early Access or Express passes. That said, I would still be more inclined to spend a 5 day trip at UO than WDW at this point, even if Express pass makes it not strictly necessary. It's still going to be cheaper than WDW, and less hassle for everything from line-skipping, park-hopping to dining reservations.

Of all that, I think the less hassle will be what hurts Disney the most...

The original plan was the British Ministry of Magic ride, and wizarding France. I think wizarding France is a horrible idea. If they absolutely had to do something themed to Fantastic Beasts, I would rather see wizarding New York. I want the speakeasy from the first movie and Jacob's bakery.

Bummer I was looking forward to the Guard Cats from the French Ministry of Magic. One of the few things I remember from that movie. Yes I saw it.

And I would have those guard cats if I was a witch. Who says I don't have them now?

Really excited. Park itself should be 100+acres and couple of the rides look pretty extreme. IPs range from iconic to trendy.
The in park hotel looks like it will be fun.

Bummer I was looking forward to the Guard Cats from the French Ministry of Magic. One of the few things I remember from that movie. Yes I saw it.

And I would have those guard cats if I was a witch. Who says I don't have them now?
There's a chance they could still show up somewhere in the land, as it's rumored that while they are not planning to focus on the Fantastic Beasts franchise, the land will likely have creatures hidden around it. The original plan was to have both the French and British ministry in the land (along with the Circus Arcanus show), but they French Ministry VR attraction was dropped. They still have expansion space in that area so a future ride could still be set within the French ministry to some degree. The French Ministry looked great so would love to see a queue line set through it to a new attraction. Hopefully they also have a Kowalski's bakery store in the land (can say it is a franchise location or something).

Universal Orlando Granted Special District for Upcoming Epic Universe Theme Park, Board of Supervisors Comprised of Universal Employees

Universal Orlando has been granted a special development and tax district that covers some 700+ acres. The district will be named the Shingle Creek Transit & Utility Community Development District and is expected to provide $174 million for infrastructure within the district, including a commuter rail linking Orlando International Airport and the International Drive tourism area next to the new Epic Universe theme park.

The district will also cover Universal Oralndo’s brand new theme park Epic Universe, which is expected to open in 2025. A portion of the $174 million will be used for improvements to the future Epic Boulevard, which will be the main entrance to the new theme park similar to Disney World’s World Drive. The majority of the money will be used to link the airport to Universal’s new theme park via train.

Universal Orlando is not the only taxpayer in the district, although they do own the vast majority of the land. The initial members of the Board of Supervisors will be exclusively Universal employees, according to the Orlando Business Journal.

Hi everyone, I've made my annual return to Disboards (lol) and updated the main post. I'm going to take some time later to make it more detailed, I never realized we are limited to 10 pictures a post so I have to figure that out. Watch the video from Universal if you want to know everything. It seems we are going into a point in time where updates are going to be coming more frequently, so I will be sticking around from now on. I might pop in once a week or whenever there is news.

This all looks great. I hope they don’t mess with the classic monsters too much. I was going to skip Epic Universe the first year or two it opened since I’m sure it will be packed. However, my kids are getting older and I want to explore Mario and how to train your dragon before they age out. Guess are 2025 WDW trip is getting switched to Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter