"University of York"...any opinions?

dreamflight99

<font color=deeppink>Princess of THIS Castle!<br><
Just popping into to say Hello! :wave2:
DD has received many unconditional offers to numerous universities in England (via UCAS), one was the University of York!! We've heard nothing but wonderful things about the area, and the fabulous reputation of this school (consistently in the top "5" in the UK, etc.). She is seriously considering accepting. Everything about this college and surrounding community appears fabulous. Looks like we'll be traveling to England again this fall, helping DD settle-in to begin her college life in her beloved England! :love: :goodvibes Of course, this also constitutes many more trips (for moi) to the mother country over the next 3 years (minimum!)!! :flower:

Does anyone have any additional information or opinions to offer on this university, and the city of YORK in general? :confused3 Any help is kindly appreciated! Being so far away here in So. Cal, makes it much more challenging all the way around. When we visited England last fall, we only made it to Oxford, Cambridge and Bath (when we ventured outside of London...our base area), besides Paris. We never truly considered York, until near the end of our stay. Is this area truly ALL it is deemed to be? Are there any negatives to consider? Everything we have read/heard is all positive. :goodvibes TIA~!

Cheers,

DF99 :wave2:

My best friend did her history degree at York and loved it. She lived on site for her first year and then rented a house with some of her friends for the next 2 years. We all grew up in the suburbs of Leeds which is only 20 minutes from York by train so I have spent many weekends shopping in York and visiting the various attractions. It is a beautiful city (especially the Shambles area). I'm sure your daughter will love her time there. Feel free to PM me if you would like any more info on the area.

Hello,

I agree with the above.

I also live in Leeds and my DF lives in Selby so I am never far away from York.

It is a beautifull city (something I had come to take for granted until your questioning).

I am sure your daughter would love her time here, The area is very friendly and has an easy going feel to it. There are a lot of foreign students mixed in with the ones from all corners of the UK so your daughter would not feel 'alien' around York.

In addition to York whenever you came to visit there are many more areas around Yorkshire and further afield for you to visit as York is an excellent base for seeing the rest of the UK both North and South.

:flower:

Ely3857 (England)

York is a wonderful City.. I lived there for four years whilst at University many years ago.. and my brother left York Uni last year. We still have a flat in the centre of town.

York is beautiful and its a small city, so its easy to navigate. The University is a campus uni and a little out of town... but only a few miles. there are lots of students around York.. and i have extremely happy memories of living there..
Great pubs!! and lots of them! when i left in 89, there were 367 in York.. one for every day and two for christmas day!!

Thank you all for the nice posts, and information with regards to York and the University. :goodvibes We have heard and read so many comments on the areas "Natural beauty" and amazing history! Could anyone possibly help with the following questions?

Is the York area considered "safe" (with regards to crime, etc)? I am aware of four Starbucks (thank heavens!), as well as many other familiar stores in the town. Are there any stores where we could easily purchase necessary items such as transformers, and sheets/bedding/pillows, and perhaps even crockery, pans and dinnerware items? :confused3 We will be bringing some items, but intend to purchase many there since we are flying into London. Should we fly into Manchester, or take a train from London (for a more relaxing and scenic experience)? Are there ATM's located on the campus? Convenience stores too? How are the ensuite facilities on the campus? Are they modern, roomy and comfortable? Does it SNOW in York? Are there truly lots of Ducks and Geese (as we have seen on the web photos) on the campus? How do the students get from the campus to town (as cars are not permitted)?

Wow...SammieG~that's a LOT of PUBS!!! It is truly a college-town, in every aspect!! :teeth: Where should we plan to stay when visiting the city, (is there any resort of hotel close to the university)? Does anyone have any preferences for staying at a hotel in this city?

Thank you, in advance, for any/all help with my questions.

I visited York while at Cambridge and it is a beautiful area. The Minster is gorgeous. As for safety, I walked around at night (of course, this was 10-12 years ago) and took the "ghost" tour - a BLAST! - and never felt uncomfortable. It is also nice because it is between Edinburgh and London so not one extreme or the other. Congrats to your DD, tho she should have gone to CAMBRIDGE! :p

mrsv98 said:
I visited York while at Cambridge and it is a beautiful area. The Minster is gorgeous. As for safety, I walked around at night (of course, this was 10-12 years ago) and took the "ghost" tour - a BLAST! - and never felt uncomfortable. It is also nice because it is between Edinburgh and London so not one extreme or the other. Congrats to your DD, tho she should have gone to CAMBRIDGE! :p
After visiting and being offered consideration at Cambridge and Oxford among several other schools, she has decided to attend one of these schools for her post graduate degree (PhD). :goodvibes Her good friend from France is is actually attending Queens college in Oxford, so she will have someone to visit in this lovely college town. She is still considering several schools here in the states, as well as two in London. Thanks for the kind comments! :wave2:

Just wanted to add a few links to some of the articles we've read, which are very impressive reflections of the consistent status of the University of York. ::yes:: [/b] One recent survey has it ranked ABOVE that of CAMBRIDGE for teaching, (standards & test results). :confused3 Not too shabby! In the end, it's her decision...and hers alone. :goodvibes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/3105702.stm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,32607,00.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3501-409956,00.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter