Unpopular Opinions

Castaway Cay, while nice, is just a beach. A few hours at the beach plus lunch at the BBQ are plenty for me. Given the choice, I'd prefer to visit a port.

I've cruised to Alaska 4 times (twice each on Princess and Holland America), and I never felt deprived by my 1 inside or 3 ocean view cabins. I'm sure verandas are very nice, but definitely not worth the extra cost to me. I'd much rather spend the money on tours, a longer trip, or another trip.

I have been enjoying reading through everyone's likes and dislikes. Just goes to show how there is something for everyone. I am really not a lover of pirate night and it scared my 5 year old the first time we were on this cruise! I also dislike the BBQ on Castaway Cay; few choices and some of the worst food of the voyage! I much prefer to either stay on the ship through lunch or go back for lunch...

My unpopular opinions:

Chicken parm in Palo was just OK not fabulous as others rave

I prefer Cabanas or any other place to eat rather than the MDRs I cant stand taking that long to eat a meal

I prefer to watch the shows on the TV in my room

I like watching movies in the theatre

* Add me to the "verandah not necessary" category - even in Alaska. Yes, I splurged for one when I was on HAL last year, but I found myself avoiding or leaving group activities early to use the bloody thing that I'd paid for when in reality I had much better views from other places on the ship. This year on RCCL I'm going interior. On DCL give me my favorite 8B on the Dream/Fantasy any day and I am happy as a clam.

* I don't see what is so difficult about typing out "chicken parmesan" and find "parm" annoying.

* I love the Pirate Night menu but find the regular menu for Enchanted Garden vile and will do whatever I can to avoid it.

* I have cruised concierge and found that I have had NO trouble going back to regular cabins.

* Add me to the "verandah not necessary" category - even in Alaska. Yes, I splurged for one when I was on HAL last year, but I found myself avoiding or leaving group activities early to use the bloody thing that I'd paid for when in reality I had much better views from other places on the ship. This year on RCCL I'm going interior. On DCL give me my favorite 8B on the Dream/Fantasy any day and I am happy as a clam.

* I don't see what is so difficult about typing out "chicken parmesan" and find "parm" annoying.

* I love the Pirate Night menu but find the regular menu for Enchanted Garden vile and will do whatever I can to avoid it.

* I have cruised concierge and found that I have had NO trouble going back to regular cabins.

chicken parm, chicken parm, chicken parm, oh and did I forget CHICKEN PARM!!!!! :P I call it chix parm . Shorthand is key in my kitchen.

Last edited:
I didn't know it was an unpopular opinion until I read this thread. I thoroughly enjoy snorkeling in Nassau. I've had some wonderful experiences and seen some impressive fish. I will be having a double knee replacement soon and one of my goals is to be able to take another 3 night cruise and snorkel in Nassau and CC!

It might be a regional thing, as growing up in New England I never heard it called anything but chicken parm, and never saw it written differently than chicken parmigiana. I never saw (or noticed seeing) it written as chicken parmesan until I moved to the midwest as an adult.

Regardless, I've never been a fan of it in any form (I just don't like chicken with cheese for some reason, nor do I like long pastas) and saw no reason to try it at Palo Brunch.

Fear should not be the driver of all of your decisions in life. There's more to life than being sheltered and not seeing what the real world is about, and trying to make a difference in someone's life than being so scared that you haven't made a difference in this world.

I fail to see how someone's choice to stop or not to stop in Nassau has anything to do with "every other decisions in our lives" and "making a difference in the world". :confused3

Hmmm.... Unpopular opinions. Let's see, I like classic ships better than the Fantasy. Of course, I am totally willing to give the Fantasy or Dream another chance when they get better itineraries. Ohh, that may be another one, for 2 of the ships, Disney has the same old, tried, true, and boring itineraries.

I could do without castaway cay, serenity bay has too many rocks and was super cold and windy. I would probably stay on the ship the next time.

Concierge was fun, but after experiencing it, unless the price is right, count me out. Not enough value to me.

I need a verandah or at the least an ocean view, cannot stand when a room is pitch black, I need natural light. Especially when I first wake up.

I think Grand Cayman and Cozumel are my two least favorite ports. Much prefer St. Thomas. St. Maarten.

Alaska can be done better on other lines (gasp) for half the price, plus you get the land portion too! And I am in the camp that says the verandah was amazing. Would not sail Alaska any other way, on our sailing, I would have had to fight for space in a prime viewing location and instead, was able to curl up on my verandah and enjoy Glacier Bay (why I won't sail DCL in Alaska, that was just breathtaking and to me, not to be missed)

Really disliked all Wonder live shows, hope that Golden Mickey's and Toy Story go the way of off off off the ship. I almost fell asleep in Toy Story. But I don't cruise for the shows. I, too, loved Villains!

Agree with others about Palo Chicken Parmesan, my mom's is way better. I also think Palo is better on the classic ships. Remy would be overrated if I lived in a big city where there were any 4 or 5 star restaurants. I don't, so will go if I go back on the Fantasy or try the Dream. I also think the brunch has not upheld the standards it once did. Not sure what happened, but it was not quite as good as it used to be the last time we had it.

Room service cheese tray, read lots of people loved it, so I ordered and was underwhelmed. I put together a snazzier cheese tray than what was served.

AP on new ships, not as much fun as the classics. Also, the menu, why did it change, why?

Oh, and I love the fireworks on Pirate night, I guess I could do without the show, but LOVE the fireworks. First time experiencing them was in the med, on July 4th, super super cool. They also tried to serve us an all American meal (worst meal of the sailing, lol, we wanted to go back and teach them how to properly fry chicken and make ribs). Also, have not had crazy crowds at the buffet, but we are 2nd seating eaters, so we skip dessert at dinner and get it at the buffet. Or skip it entirely, as we are too full!

My unpopular opinions:
- Palo is nice, but I probably won't do it again. Food was good, not spectacular. Service was very good though.
- Chicken Parmesan in Palo was dry and hard. Yuck.
- I like watching movies at the theater on the ship
- haven't tried Remy b/c I don't see anything on the menu I would eat.
- haven't tried FE, but sound like a lot of work and stress.
- Castaway Cay is a pretty beach, but not even close to the prettiest I've seen. And the food on CC is just terrible.

Seems like many people buy travel insurance but I consider it a waste of money.

It's definitely a waste of money, until you need it for some reason. It just happened to a co-worker of mine. He was taking a work trip to California and decided to take his wife with him. He bought the tickets, paid for some shows and other items, and then the company cancelled the trip. He was out all of that money. Had he paid $75 in insurance, he'd have gotten it all back.

Hmmm.... Unpopular opinions. Let's see, I like classic ships better than the Fantasy. Of course, I am totally willing to give the Fantasy or Dream another chance when they get better itineraries. Ohh, that may be another one, for 2 of the ships, Disney has the same old, tried, true, and boring itineraries.

I need a verandah or at the least an ocean view, cannot stand when a room is pitch black, I need natural light. Especially when I first wake up.

I think Grand Cayman and Cozumel are my two least favorite ports. Much prefer St. Thomas. St. Maarten.

Room service cheese tray, read lots of people loved it, so I ordered and was underwhelmed. I put together a snazzier cheese tray than what was served.

AP on new ships, not as much fun as the classics. Also, the menu, why did it change, why?

Oh, and I love the fireworks on Pirate night, I guess I could do without the show, but LOVE the fireworks. First time experiencing them was in the med, on July 4th, super super cool. They also tried to serve us an all American meal (worst meal of the sailing, lol, we wanted to go back and teach them how to properly fry chicken and make ribs). Also, have not had crazy crowds at the buffet, but we are 2nd seating eaters, so we skip dessert at dinner and get it at the buffet. Or skip it entirely, as we are too full!

Definitely different strokes for different folks. I like balconies pretty well. Ocean views, take it or leave it. I don't mind an inside room at all. I can actually sleep a little later. Once the natural light hits my eyes in the morning, I am up for the day.

Cozumel is my absolute favorite port. I have been there 5 times maybe (not sure) and loved it every single time. There are lots of things to do and several other places I want to try out and have never been. I did not like St. Thomas at all and St. Maarten was meh. My upcoming cruise goes to St. Maarten and San Juan and I am not very excited about the itinerary- although I have not yet been to San Juan.

I do kind of agree about the cheese plate, although I admit I have never actually had it. But in theory I am thinking its just a plate of cheese, right... Maybe I need to try it and see if there is something special about it.

My unpopular opinions:
- Palo is nice, but I probably won't do it again. Food was good, not spectacular. Service was very good though.
- Chicken Parmesan in Palo was dry and hard. Yuck.
- I like watching movies at the theater on the ship
- haven't tried Remy b/c I don't see anything on the menu I would eat.
- haven't tried FE, but sound like a lot of work and stress.
- Castaway Cay is a pretty beach, but not even close to the prettiest I've seen. And the food on CC is just terrible.

Going to Palo for my birthday for Brunch, so I hope its good. And I plan to watch at least one movie. I purposely have not seen Cinderella yet. Hopefully they are still showing it onboard next month.

I agree on Remy. People rave about it and I look at the menu and think- no way.

Agree somewhat on FE. I both wanted to do it and skip it, but this may be our one and only Disney cruise so I did not want to miss out and regret it. It is a fair amount of work and I am not even making my stuff. Just buying it is a lot of time and money. I spent the better part of an evening organizing the stuff I bought too.

My unpopular opinion is that Disney Cruise Line is not the end-all, be-all of cruising. It's a good cruiseline for specific things but I enjoy other cruiselines just as much and occasionally a little more.

Talking in the car this morning, I agreed that as much as I'm looking forward to our 5 night Magic cruise in November, I wouldn't want to do a super long cruise on DCL (we're doing 21 days on the Carnival Pride in January 2016).

It might be a regional thing, as growing up in New England I never heard it called anything but chicken parm, and never saw it written differently than chicken parmigiana. I never saw (or noticed seeing) it written as chicken parmesan until I moved to the midwest as an adult.

Regardless, I've never been a fan of it in any form (I just don't like chicken with cheese for some reason, nor do I like long pastas) and saw no reason to try it at Palo Brunch.

That's because parmesan is wrong.....parmesan is a type of cheese, parmigana is a dish with meat, chicken, veal (pick one) and sauce (or gravy if you're REAL Italian) and cheese

It's definitely a waste of money, until you need it for some reason. It just happened to a co-worker of mine. He was taking a work trip to California and decided to take his wife with him. He bought the tickets, paid for some shows and other items, and then the company cancelled the trip. He was out all of that money. Had he paid $75 in insurance, he'd have gotten it all back.

It's like life insurance: You're betting you are going to die, and the insurance company is betting you will live. You hope you lose the bet, but if you don't, the payoff is appreciated....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter