UPDATE - CMO now says vaccines will be offered for 12 - 15 year olds. JVCI do NOT recommend Covid vaccine for most 12 - 15 year olds

They have no idea what they are doing, My Ds is 12 and has severe autism he had his first jab a week ago. Physically hes perfectly fit and well so not sure why hes at risk. Still took him none the less. On leaving i asked "we will get a text when number 2 is due" the reply "they dont know if they are giving them a second shot"

I see them faffing around a few more weeks before the cases go way up like in scotland and they panic

They have no idea what they are doing, My Ds is 12 and has severe autism he had his first jab a week ago. Physically hes perfectly fit and well so not sure why hes at risk. Still took him none the less. On leaving i asked "we will get a text when number 2 is due" the reply "they dont know if they are giving them a second shot"

I see them faffing around a few more weeks before the cases go way up like in scotland and they panic

I have 2 autistic teen boys. Autism makes one high risk because of 2 main things. The first is a proven link between autism and inflammatory conditions, increasing the risk for MIS/MIS-C. The second is that the problems with communication faced by autistic individuals can make adequate care a challenge, particularly where it requires a child/adult to verbalize how they are feeling/what symptoms they have at any given time. Therefore, autism puts children at an increased risk for a poor outcome.

My daughter is an adult with Asperger's and flat out refuses to have a jab. (She'd actually like to revoke the ones she had at school for the MMR, etc.)
It's a big worry for when she catches it.

I have a 14yo in tears here this evening - looks like our Easter trip on a Disney Cruise is in jeopardy and she feels it is "her fault" which of course its nothing of the sort. Flights are non refundable I think, so depending on entry requirements we still could come, just not do what we'd originally planned

I asked a lady in the Virgin holidays store about this issue a few weeks ago.
She said at the time, they didn't have a policy on it - but they would when the borders re open, if its an issue.

I was also just reading Disney cruise line have updated their requirements that all 12 and overs sailing to any destination must be fully vaccinated. We are due to go on Wonder next summer to Alaska, as well as going to WDW this Christmas and have a young teen in this age group.

However, according to the Telegraph ( I think) MP's are still considering vaccinating children age 12 +.

Honestly this is all such a roller coaster.

I have a 14yo in tears here this evening - looks like our Easter trip on a Disney Cruise is in jeopardy and she feels it is "her fault" which of course its nothing of the sort. Flights are non refundable I think, so depending on entry requirements we still could come, just not do what we'd originally planned
maybe they'll change the decision before then?

maybe they'll change the decision before then?
A decision hasn't been made.

The JVCI is an advisory body who have said that the medical benefits don't appear to warrant routine vaccination of children. It's up to the UK government to decide if other factors do make it worthwhile. Given public pressure I expect they will say yes.
That decision should come this week I believe.

A decision hasn't been made.

The JVCI is an advisory body who have said that the medical benefits don't appear to warrant routine vaccination of children. It's up to the UK government to decide if other factors do make it worthwhile. Given public pressure I expect they will say yes.
That decision should come this week I believe.

i've disagreed with Professor Pollard's covid opinions on more than one occasion, including this one.

UPDATE

The CMO for England has now stated that it is recommended for 12 - 15 year olds to have one dose of the Pfizer vaccine.
A second dose will possibly be offered to that age group in the spring.

So that leaves those of us with children in that age group still wondering if the US when they re open the borders will count one dose as fully vaccinated, just for our 12 - 15 year olds.

I travel in 96 day. If by some miracle the borders re open before there isn't much time for more data.
If I was due to travel say next March I wouldn't be as concerned.

I don’t travel until Apr 1st (should have known) but my pay in full date for the Disney Cruise is 3rd December. So I don’t think I can risk it. I have a 14yo who might have only had 1 jab plus a 11yo who won’t have had any, and as we are only flying in the night before, not sure we will have time to meet Disney’s requirements for him either. Feeling pretty despondent now.

UPDATE

The CMO for England has now stated that it is recommended for 12 - 15 year olds to have one dose of the Pfizer vaccine.
A second dose will possibly be offered to that age group in the spring.

So that leaves those of us with children in that age group still wondering if the US when they re open the borders will count one dose as fully vaccinated, just for our 12 - 15 year olds.

that's ridiculous.
more than likely, if the US requires a double dose, then it will be for all ages that can be vaccinated (12 and up).
is it possible to get a second dose privately?

The trouble is the US is giving their 12+ two doses, so consider that fully vaccinated. I honestly can't see them budging on that.
Hopefully it will just be a LFT on entry for 12+ when the time comes if they do not count one dose as fully vaccinated.

So, this might be worth finding out about. I know that prior to the pandemic, certain vaccines were required for travel into certain countries. So, maybe now that countries are imposing thier own vaccine requirements (either for entry or for participation in activities within that country), maybe the same will apply and you will be able to get 12+ a second shot if you show proof that you are traveling to a place that requires it? Just thinking out loud...

The trouble is the US is giving their 12+ two doses, so consider that fully vaccinated. I honestly can't see them budging on that.
Hopefully it will just be a LFT on entry for 12+ when the time comes if they do not count one dose as fully vaccinated.
Things could get even worst. It is expected Pfizer to apply soon for license for vaccine for 5+ yo and a decision by F&D by Halloween. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter