Update on dd8's progress!

taximomfor4

<font color=purple>Needs a few Ricola drops<br><fo
Some of you have read a bit about dd8 -- SID, Vision Impaired, hypotonia, balance troubles,intention tremors, and more..........but blessed with impressive amounts of perseverence.

Well, yesterday she competed in another feis (Irish Dance competition). In December some of her dances placed out of Beginner II level, meaning she has to compete in those events as a Novice now. So her first time EVER competing in Novice competitions -- she made it onto the scoreboard!! (5th place out of 19! in one of her novice events.)

I actually just got the final tally sheets in my email, and she was at LEAST in the top half of every event she competed in! Some of the judges' comments make me a little sad because they ask for improvements that she will probably realistically struggle with forever (jumping higher, moving sharper, and getting even higher on toes)...but she really made a good showing!! Other parents with more experience said to be VERY happy to place at all, even if not 1st , 2nd, or 3rd your first few times out in Novice events.

I just am so happy! Oh, and best part : She only had ONE MELTDOWN!! We always say to ourselves "The day isn't complete till Rissa cries 3 times." It was so crowded, but we are getting a sorta system to give her downtime. Just a good mommy-day. *sniff*sniff* (Now if only 13yo dd, who has terrible work ethic, would let up on Rissa and even LEARN from her:confused3 .........................)

The joys in the little things...that's what I always say about my DS! I relish in his accomplishments...things that most people would ignore! Yay for your DD!!

Thanks for sharing!! This is a bit selfish of me, but I love hearing about Rissa's victories. It gives me hope for our low tone 18 mth old, who just started walking. Dancing is one sport that seems like it would be hard for kids who have strength and balance issues, but Rissa has really succeeded!:cheer2:

Thanks for sharing!! This is a bit selfish of me, but I love hearing about Rissa's victories. It gives me hope for our low tone 18 mth old, who just started walking. Dancing is one sport that seems like it would be hard for kids who have strength and balance issues, but Rissa has really succeeded!:cheer2:

At 18 mos, Rissa had just begun walking as well! (after 6 months of PT.) The hard part was, the PT really wanted her to crawl first since that was her best hope for building some trunk and upper limb strength. They got that accomplished RIGHT before she took her first steps!

Balance and muscle + joint issues really do make it harder for Rissa, but she is consistently one of the best in her class -- probably due to the hours of practice she gets each week. Most kids her age are not practicing much (if at all). She really, really glows when she does performances, too. She is so happy, and smiles so big , and she is generally the smallest dancer there...so she steals the show. And LOVES the spotlight. Which probably feeds her desire to work hard, and keeps her moving!! I think as far as getting into the even higher levels, and heading toward being a Championship dancer, Rissa will have a loooooooong, hard road...and she may never make it there.:sad2: But every time she thinks she danced well, and gets a medal (even if it's only 5th place), she is thrilled.

I think the trick is to find something your child loves to do -- and the hard work paying off keeps them doing it!

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter