Upgrade to AP's?

colleen costello

<font color=FF99FF>Is in a "just back from OKW and
We have 7-day park hopper- plus tix from this year. We have used two park days and 1 "plus" option apiece. We are now planning an extra trip to WDW and I wondered if I could "trade up" for AP's? Will they give me credit for the 5 remaining days of admission on each of these tickets? How and where would I need to do this upgrade?

We have never bought AP's as we have never been to WDW enough in 1 year, but now we have trips planned in June, November and March. I believe the AP "calendar" begins the first day I use it, correct?

Thanks!

Yes, the way I remember it, you will be credited for the remaining amount you spent for the passes. The AP's start on the day of purchase. You can do this at any park Guest Relations. We did this at MK, but a friend did the same at the World Showcase entrance to EPCOT.

Thanks, Maureenmac. I called WDW but they were kind of clueless. All they said was that I would have to do it onsite, at one of the parks. I knew this -- we turned in some ancient tix last year. But they could not tell me the value of my existing ticket. I have 5 days of 7 left and also 3 "pluses." It's those pluses I hate to lose -- the kids really loved Typhoon Lagoon and it's expensive to pay cash there for a day. If I knew those "pluses" on the ticket had NO value, I would go to TL the first day we get there, THEN turn in my tix for AP's! I think I will have to go to a ticket window when I am there and decide then!

We went for 8 nights in March/April '03.
I had originally purchased a 6 day PH plus pass for my 12 yr. old daughter. I realized she needed more and didn't want to spring for another PH. It was cold (freezing!!) and we hadn't used any of the plus features. Called the main desk at POFQ and they suggested trying the Main Gate. We went to MGM, explained the situation and they upgraded her ticket on the 1st April for 85.18 including tax. I thought this was a GREAT!!! deal because she had already used 4 out of the 6 days!!!
Hope this info helps.
Regards,
Janice

Thanks, Janice. That does help, because it looks like the rate at which they "refund" unused portions of the ticket is pretty darn good. I feared there would be no "monetary value" attached to the 4 plus options. When you buy a 7-day ticket, these pluses are virtually "free" anyway; that ticket costs just about what seven 1-day admissions to the parks would. So I wasn't certain HOW they would credit my tickets. If the difference is small like it was for your daughter, having AP's sure would be nice. We've never had them and the freedom to go to a park "just for a parade" or "just for dinner" would be cool.

Colleen,
That is why I needed to upgrade. The afternoon we arrived was the only e-ride night during our entire stay. Even though we didn't get to the park until 5 (it closed at around 6 or 7) we used one day of her hopper~ it was well worth it!!! I didn't give it any thought until the 4th day~ then it was like rats!!!! I thought I would have to buy another PH. The folks at the gate were incredibly patient and helpful. The price seemed (I think after a few hours at Disney I stopped thinking about price!) like a drop in the bucket compared with purchasing another PH. Now we both will have tickets valid for next spring break, I won't have to purchase PH when I go w/ my husband in June, AND we get the discounted AP hotel rates. My thanks really go to Mousesavers, because I had no clue about AP rates for the hotels!!!

Janice's situation was very different from Colleen's. Her upgrade happened withing the first 7 days of use of the PH ticket she upgraded for her daughter. Under that scenario, the entire purchase price of the PHP is credited towards the new pass.

Using her upgrade figure. I can tell you that she paid $307.81 for her original 6 day PHP. When they applied that to the cost of a new AP ($392.99), the difference Janice paid was $85.18. The AP would have been back dated to the first day that the original 6 day PHP was used.

In Colleen's case, you have already partially used the PHP ticket and the 7 day window has passed. The only option now is to have the dollar value of the remaining unused major park days (5) credited towards a new AP. Your unused plus options are worth nothing when upgrading.

Without knowing what Colleen actually paid for the pass, all I can do is estimate that the 5 days will be worth around $242.50 (give or take a couple of dollars) so it will cost you around $150 to upgrade to an AP. Colleen's AP will start the day the upgrade is done. It will not be back dated.

Hope that helps.

Wow!!!
That is helpful, I never thought about being within a window. Knowing how Disney works that certainly seems the most likely scenario. I guess I was just lucky to be directed inot an AP upgrade. Seriously left to my own devices I would have just purchased another PH and then had to purchase yet another in the for next March. This board is SO!! informative. I thank my lucky stars that I have all of these Disney vets to help guide me!!!
Thanks,
Janice

This is about what I suspected. I counted on about $50 a day for the remaining days and NOTHING for the "pluses." I will probably just hang on to the tickets I have. While of no value to Disney, my kids LOVE those pluses! The Typhoon Lagoon wave pool alone was worth admission. A large wave knocked Grammy over backwards like a turtle and we all about died laughing! Mom still giggles over it with my kids... classic Disney memories!

If I can come up with the money, I might buy new AP's and hold onto my PH's for another time. I DID get that new Disney Visa... 4 AP's would be a lot of Mickey Dollars... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter