Uplifting COVID News

Status
Not open for further replies.

erin1715

DIS Veteran
I don’t know about everyone else, but I have enjoyed reading stories that people bring to this group about some positive outlooks regarding the trajectory of Covid and the light at the end of the tunnel. I appreciated seeing some of the news/research that others brought that I might not have seen.

So hopefully we can keep that going here. I’ll start.

“But April’s sudden, simultaneous downturn in cases across four states with some of America’s highest combined levels of immunity is a sign of progress — and a glimpse at what might lie ahead in communities that keep their foot on the gas.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.y...an-herd-immunity-is-on-the-way-090015307.html

My daughter's college, where vaccines have been available since mid March, held an outdoor fun day last week with a mechanical bull to ride and a crawfish boil. (Crawfish boils are a social event here!)

Finals are this week. School is out Friday.

Yay for a taste of sanctioned normal college life before school ends this year.

We have a Get Air Trampoline Park in our city. My daughter the teacher has rented the entire place for the last day of school so that all of her class can get together and have some fun. She has been teaching totally online so has not met her students face-to-face. She is really looking forward to it.

Hugged my 80 yr old MIL and FIL for the first time in a year! On Monday we go back full time to school, and I don't have to deal with the few kids who are staying fully remote. That will be the teacher's job. (I'm a special education tutor) Can't wait to see all the kids in one place, and get to know them better.

Vaccine rollout here has been slow to say the least. As a province, we were only doing about 5000 needles in arms a day. Last week, it was announced that anyone 40 and over could get the AZ vaccine and Gen X showed up in droves. I have medical issues and have been advised to wait for the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, and hopefully will qualify in the next week or two.

We have a Get Air Trampoline Park in our city. My daughter the teacher has rented the entire place for the last day of school so that all of her class can get together and have some fun. She has been teaching totally online so has not met her students face-to-face. She is really looking forward to it.
Kudos to your daughter. Really, that's great.

But something about the whole thing just seems off. It's too dangerous for in person school one day, but the following day it's OK for them to all jump around in a trampoline park (where it's hard to even maintain distance)?

But something about the whole thing just seems off. It's too dangerous for in person school one day, but the following day it's OK for them to all jump around in a trampoline park (where it's hard to even maintain distance)?

Maybe you don’t realize how huge trampoline parks are. They’re HUGE. If she rented out the whole place then a class of very 30 kids could go the whole time without being within 10 feet of each other, nevermind 6 or 3. Add to that the fact that those places have upped their own safety precautions re: sterilization and air quality.

The fact of the matter is that they should have been in school in-person because it’s even LESS risky than a trampoline park. Multiple studies showed that teachers were less likely to contract Covid in a classroom than when they were teaching remote and same for students. There have been an exceedingly small number of covid outbreaks at schools, and chances are the kids didn’t even contract it AT the school, but instead infected one another outside at private homes/sports/businesses where they weren’t wearing masks or distancing.

We visited with our friends last night for the first time in over a year. All four of us are full vaccinated. It was so nice to hang out with them again! L:ater this week, my sister is coming to visit with her husband and my niece and nephew. I haven't seen them in a year and a half!

Maryland reported the largest drop in Covid-19 cases nationwide. Our statewide restrictions were dropped March 1 and we'd seen the positivity rate increase since 2 weeks post re-opening. It's finally going back down, with Maryland reporting some of the most impressive numbers in the country. We also reportedly have one of the most aggressive vaccination campaigns, with over 4 million doses given and approximately 57% of residents having received at least one dose. https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/maryland-reports-biggest-drop-in-covid-19-cases-nationwide

Agreed, if you're teaching online this whole time now isn't the time to just all of a sudden break that barrier and have a big party where everyone is going to be hopping and jumping and likely bumping into each other. It's not that the idea of celebrating is bad but certainly other ways that can be done, bit of a head scratcher on the choice given.

Maybe you don’t realize how huge trampoline parks are. They’re HUGE. If she rented out the whole place then a class of very 30 kids could go the whole time without being within 10 feet of each other, nevermind 6 or 3. Add to that the fact that those places have upped their own safety precautions re: sterilization and air quality.

The fact of the matter is that they should have been in school in-person because it’s even LESS risky than a trampoline park. Multiple studies showed that teachers were less likely to contract Covid in a classroom than when they were teaching remote and same for students. There have been an exceedingly small number of covid outbreaks at schools, and chances are the kids didn’t even contract it AT the school, but instead infected one another outside at private homes/sports/businesses where they weren’t wearing masks or distancing.
The kids will all be jumping around each other hanging out having laughs and they will probably get close to the teacher. What fun would a trampoline park be, no matter the size, if you have to stay 10feet away from your friend? We have a trampoline park in our area and ain't no one who goes together as a group is keeping their distance from each other in their group. It's just practical to think that they'll all get close together with kids in their classroom and it's a school-oriented event not that a few of the parents are going with their kids. I think it's more that the teacher has been teaching online the whole time and hasn't seen the kids face to face once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter