URGENT!! NO Hand baggage allowed today

Obi Wan Kenobi

DIS Veteran
Due to the security services foiling a plot to blow up aircraft in flight, the security level has been raised to critical.
this means NO hand luggage will be allowed onto aircraft only clear plastic bags which can only contain such things as spoectacles, travel documents, and other essential things (nappies etc) ALL other hand luggage will be put into holds. and go through screening.
All passengers flying transatlantic will be subject to extra screening and security.
Expect VERY long delays today.
better that than a disaster.

this is NOT a joke.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_about/documents/page/dft_about_612280.hcsp

A terrorist plot to blow up planes in mid-flight from the UK to the US has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.
It is thought the plan was to detonate explosive devices smuggled on aircraft in hand luggage.

Police have arrested about 18 people in the London area after an anti-terrorist operation lasting several months.

Security at all airports in the UK has been tightened and delays are expected. MI5 says the current UK threat level is critical - the highest possible.

Scotland Yard said in a statement: "We would like to reassure the public that this operation was carried out with public safety uppermost in our minds.

"This is a major operation which inevitably will be lengthy and complex."

I've just been watching the breaking news on this - it's terrifying just to consider.

To everyone who is flying in the next few days and is affected by this - I really hope it's not too bad, and that you don't get delayed for any significant amount of time. Of course, everyone understands the reasons, and I know we would put up with anything just to be safe, but it's not the best way to start a holiday.

:goodvibes

I am just watching, its awfull

no liquids, does that mean no juice in checked luggage (we take a big dilute black currant for jordan in the checked luggage)

I can definatly live with hightened security as long as it keeps me and my family safe.

and why dont we screen for explosives?

in florida we had sniffer dogs and people swobbing the bags for traces of explosives

If they think it is a 'liquid' explosive it may not be detectable or may be an imflammable liquid in a water bottle or something. My guess is that the plan was to get the 'bomb' on board in bits and put it together on the plane. That way each component part of the bomb would not arouse suspicion when the hand luggage was x-rayed - hence the hand luggage ban :(

dont you think if we had more harse punishments for these people (and I use the word lightly) they would be less inclined to do this. and yes I am fully in support of the death penalty for terrorists, that arnt human

mushumadness said:
I am just watching, its awfull

no liquids, does that mean no juice in checked luggage (we take a big dilute black currant for jordan in the checked luggage)

I can definatly live with hightened security as long as it keeps me and my family safe.

and why dont we screen for explosives?

in florida we had sniffer dogs and people swobbing the bags for traces of explosives

Liquid explosives are very difficult todetect by their very nature, can be coloured with, yes juice.
To make a liquid explosive more deadly, you mix it with things like washing up liquid or other stick liquids, which makes it stick better to things.

Well, I for one don't mind what I have to put up with at the airport, as long as we are kept safe. In fact, I would feel much more comfortable flying if no hand luggage was allowed. I hope this is still the case (pardon the pun) when I fly to Orlando in 14 days time !!

Does anyone think the "no hand luggage" will still be in force by then? I hope so !

me too. I know it's an inconvenience and I stuff my hand luggage to the brim with all kinds of 'stuff, but it is petrifying to think of what could have happened if these people had been successful.

I would think no hand luggage will remain for the foreseeable future.

We are flying out next week and Im expecting it to still be enforced then too. I dont mind at all, safety is paramount.

Briarrosegold said:
We are flying out next week and Im expecting it to still be enforced then too. I dont mind at all, safety is paramount.

totally agree

Its saying on gmtv that perfume bought in duty free will be confiscated as well

tell me about it,

but dont let disrupt your day to day life thats the terrorists aim,

Im shaking in my boots, and my holidays 5 weeks away

Im off to work and theres no tv!

keep this link going its my only way of keeping informed

My Mum is travelling with us for the first time ever and she has been nervous since day 1 thinking that something like this would happen. I just rang her and she doesn't want to go, but I reckon now is the safest time to fly more than ever. I know the kids will whinge about the new security checks taking forever, but at least we will get there safely.

mushumadness said:
but dont let disrupt your day to day life thats the terrorists aim
You've hit the nail on the head. It's a pain but it's one we're all going to have to get used to in the 21st century.

yes i am expecting the kids to whinge, about not taking their portable dvds, but its tough they cant,

I more focused on the liquid aspect

can suncreams etc still go in the hold? I am perfectly willing to leave all liquid here its not like we cant get it there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter