USAirways - changes on rules for non-refundable tickets

Hmmm .... maybe this is in reaction to the Chapter 11 filing?

On one hand, I understand their argument. On the other hand, I hope they have allowances for circumstances such as traffic delays and medical emergencies that might keep someone from making a flight or otherwise be able to make changes in advance. Remember that accident in Orlando a couple of weeks ago that snarled traffic? I'm sure there were people in that mess that missed flights.

Originally posted by Obi-Wan Pinobi
On the other hand, I hope they have allowances for circumstances such as traffic delays and medical emergencies that might keep someone from making a flight or otherwise be able to make changes in advance.

I read this on their FAQ:
Will US Airways waive the new fare restrictions and allow changes after the ticketed flight for a customer with extenuating circumstances?
No. These non-refundable fares do not permit waivers of any kind. This includes death, illness, military, and jury duty.

That can be found here: http://www.usairways.com/about/press/pricing_policy_faq.htm

One of the many reasons I do NOT fly UScAir.
And, probably one of the reasons they are doing so poorly.

We will see if they can keep this up. What they are hoping is that the airlines that compete with them do the same thing. If they do, then it will stick. If they don't some of these may go away.

They feel that if you truly gave yourself the 2 hrs or so to get to the airport on time and to check in , then you allow for things to happne, like traffic, road detours, etc.
As for the death part, they feel that its not you, so it shouldn't affect your flights. You can get out of jury duty, so this shouldn't affect your flights. As for the military, if you were called up to active duty I would fight it. But that doesn't mean they will do anything about it, besides lose a few passengers business.
The people who live in the Usair hubs pretty much don't have a choice when it comes to airlines.

Continental announced last week that they were making changes to non-refundables but they did not give specifics. My guess is that it will follow along the same lines.

What would happen if you missed your flight due to a traffic problem? Since they are not allowing standbys, would you have to buy a full fare one way ticket? That would be really expensive.

The people who live in the Usair hubs pretty much don't have a choice when it comes to airlines.

Isn't that the truth. :(

Thats why we are very lucky to be 1 hr from 3 different airports...... Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Akron.:)

Just because it is a hub does not mean there are not other airlines flying from the airport, right? Hotlanta is the hub for Delta, but, other airlines fly from there.
The two airlines mentioned here are USAIR and Contential, aren't they both in trouble?

I think a key sentence is this --
Changes may be made to the non-refundable itineraries before scheduled departure, subject to certain restrictions and fees.
So basically, as long as you contact US Airways before the flight's scheduled departure time and let them know you are going to miss the flight, you won't lose the money you paid for the flight. However, they will apply that money toward a new ticket, the difference in fare, and the change fee.

Debbie, you're right. That would be really expensive. I don't think it will be long before US Airways starts getting a ton of complaints from customers who miss flights due to no fault of their own (for example, the Bee Line accident). Of course, US Airways will probably use the "you should have left earlier" argument.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
Just because it is a hub does not mean there are not other airlines flying from the airport, right? Hotlanta is the hub for Delta, but, other airlines fly from there.
The two airlines mentioned here are USAIR and Contential, aren't they both in trouble?

The other majors do fly a couple flights a day into their hubs. For example, Delta flys into Atlanta and Cincinnati from Pittsburgh. But the prices are usually the same as USAir, so why pay the same or more and have a connection. These new rules may change peoples minds if the other airlines don't follow. We do not have any Southwest or Jet Blue, about the only airlines doing well. USAir dominates about 85% of the flights.

I was thinking about the new standby rules. People from our office fly often into Hartford where our home office is located. It used to be we could only get refundables during the week for about $900. We can now get non-refundables for about $450. There are flights back to Pittsburgh around noon, 2:30 & 6:00. Many times people will schedule the 6:00 and then get done early and catch the 2:30. They will now not be able to do that. That 6:00 is usually full and they often look for volunteers. What harm would it be to allow people to take that 2:30 if seats are available, freeing up seats on the full 6:00. In the end, they are going to be issuing more comp tickets due to bumping.

Wonder what will happen when you miss a connecting flight because they are running late.

Jon

1) Their example is wrong, Broadway shows will give you (off peak) tickets if you don't use your original tickets.

2) Not sure if this policy applies to the so called flat tire rule, if you get to the gate up to 2 hours late and you go stand by on the next flight.

3)POLICY MAY BE TO STOP purchasing R/T tickets but only using OW (fare is may be cheaper). Under the present rules the airline has to wait a year which basically stops them from back charging but now they can chargeback the difference between the one way fare and the cost of the ticket immediately.
Using half of a discounted fare is one of the ways business travelers were able to "beat" the airlines fare policies.

They said on the news this morning that you would not be penalized for missing a connection because of a late flight.

Lewis
I am not sure I understand your #3. One ways are practically never cheaper than round trips.

The standby rule has been used by SW for years and they will NOT let you fly standby even if their later flight is overbooked. I think what they will try to do is what SW has done and book based on what they actually expect since they won't give you as much freedom in moving around.

Continental grounding planes, reducing capacity

HOUSTON (Reuters) — Continental Airlines announced Tuesday that it is cutting capacity, grounding airplanes and charging for certain services to low-fare customers in order to combat an industry downturn that remains nearly a year after the Sept. 11 attacks.

The Houston-based airline, the nation's fifth largest, said it will provide 17% fewer seats and ground 11 airplanes in its fleet to save $350 million on an annual basis and $80 million for the rest of 2002.

The move comes after its larger rivals have cut jobs, capacity or both in response to fewer people flying than before Sept. 11.

Three U.S. carriers — US Airways, Midway Airlines and Vanguard Airlines — have filed for bankruptcy since the attacks siphoned passengers from the airline business.

American Airlines, the nation's No. 1 carrier, announced last week that it would cut 7,000 jobs and reduce capacity 9% by November. No. 2 carrier United and Northwest Airlines have said they will cut capacity 9% and 13%, respectively, for winter.

Continental said its cutbacks were necessary to combat continued deterioration of revenue and the increased cost of fuel, insurance and security.

The company announced no layoffs, saying it would monitor employee levels and "hopes to avoid additional furloughs" through a hiring freeze, retirements, voluntary leaves and attrition.

"US Airways declared bankruptcy and United is likely to soon follow," said Gordon Bethune, chairman and chief executive of Continental. "American is eliminating 7,000 jobs. While we remain committed to running a clean, safe and reliable operation, we need to do some aggressive belt tightening so we don't end up like them."

Bethune said more changes would come "unless market conditions improve quickly."

Continental also said it would continue providing full services to full-fare customers while charging low-fare travelers for certain services.

Those changes include:

A $20 fee for all domestic paper tickets.
Elimination of discounts on some low-fare categories.
A new policy against "waivers and favors."
Re-bidding of some supplier contracts.
Adherence to policies regarding assessment of fees for changing tickets and collection of excess baggage.
"The market is driving us to make these changes," said Jeff Misner, Continental's senior vice president and chief financial officer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the USA today website.

Quick question-if tickets were purchased BEFORE the change in procedure, are they still holding you to this?

We have a flight to Boston, and the return is iffy. We may need the later flight.

Anyone?

Christine

I don't know. I have a feeling they will try to hold you to this. You should probably give them a call and see what they say.

Carol--
Frequently a RT ticket with a Sat stopover is cheaper than an unrestricted OW ticket. Business travelers throw out tickets all the time. The airlines don't charge back because they assume the ticket will be used later and they'll get their change fee.

SW can waive the fee. My incoming flight came in early enough for me to standby for the earlier flight. They didn't charge the fee I asked because otherwise I would have waited for my flight. THEY DON'T WANT PEOPLE booking a flight with discounted seats available then standing by for the better flight times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter