Using UK Disabled Parking Badge

Does anyone know if it is possible to access, the Disabled parking area at WDW, Universal, etc if you do NOT have a Blue parking badge???

I am asking because I am due to travel to Florida in October, and will be on my own with my disabled son Travis.... He is registered blind and has a number of disabilites, including being wheelchair bound, but is only 20 months old, and not yet able to get a UK badge ( he will get one when he is 2yrs due to his blindness).

It would be impossible for me to access the Trams to get to the entrance, if we have to park at one of the far away parking lots, so we would have a LONG walk..!!

Also one of his medical conditions means that being out in the heat for long periods is not advisable, so it would be great if we can get closer to the entrance.

If anyone knows about this I would appreciate some advice, Thanks :)

That's a very good question and I honestly do not know.
I would assume you need a blue badge but I would also have thought there needs to be some room for special cases like yours.

If Simon doesn't know I would post a thread on the disABILITIES section of this site:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Disney generally will not allow people in the official disabled parking areas without the right badge, but if you explain your situation, they should be able to direct you to the nearest possible parking space in the regular parking areas.

Disney generally will not allow people in the official disabled parking areas without the right badge, but if you explain your situation, they should be able to direct you to the nearest possible parking space in the regular parking areas.

they won't let you park in the disabled area without the correct permit, but they will let you drive up to drop off your disabled person (we've done that).
Of course you can only do that if you can momentarily split up (and then meet up again at the entrance).

He is registered blind and has a number of disabilites, including being wheelchair bound, but is only 20 months old, and not yet able to get a UK badge ( he will get one when he is 2yrs due to his blindness).

Although too late for you and your son, this will change in the forthcoming months in the UK - common sense has prevailed.

David

Although too late for you and your son, this will change in the forthcoming months in the UK - common sense has prevailed.

David
I know your not supposed to make personal messages, but
David, if you read this your wanted on the panama cruise meets thread!

Your being missed!!!

hi
when we picked up the hire car from dollar we advised by them that we may have problems in using blue badge in certain places ie shopping malls public car parks and were advised to get a florida temp badge
we took there advise and went to the Osceola Office on the 192 just past the silver spurs arena the whole process took 10 mins . http://www.osceolataxcollector.com/locations-hours.html
we took our blue badge and passport they scan the badge and put it on there data base (like our dvla) they then issue us with a red temp disabled tag to hang from mirror which is valid for 90 days .
They now have our details on there data base and next time we vist we can go to any office in florida that issues badges and they just pull up the details and give us a temp tag the cost is $15.
We found that by getting the tag made the holiday less hassle no funny looks from people when we park in disabled bays because they automatically look to see if you have a tag hanging from the mirror(with the blue badge it is on the dashboard out of view) going to disney was easy as the tag was on view as we drove up so for $15 it is money well spent . :thumbsup2

Thanks for posting, fearfall. I'm going to merge this thread with the "sticky" on this subject at the top of the forum.

Urgent Up-date:

We at the Brit's Guide have recently had a note from the Osceola Tax Office, via the Kissimmee CVB that they have to request that people do NOT send cash with their applications as this is causing all kinds of problems. They have been able to fill some applications like this but they will not be able to do so in future as their system is just not set up to receive cash (plus, it is also a security issue for their offices if they are getting cash in the mail).

Also, they need to point out applications should only be sent up to THREE MONTHS in advance (they are receiving requests up to a year in advance); anything more than that is putting a strain on their system.

Here is the full message from the Kissimmee CVB:

"The Osceola Tax Collectors Office has received quite a number of requests for the handicap placards with cash. They have asked us, through you, to see if you can get the word out that they can only accept a US-issued money order or a credit card number. Also, they can issue them for 90 days but are receiving requests for 6 months and up to a year in advance. She said once they receive, they promptly process and send out thus taking 2-3 weeks for applicants to receive. Could you assist us, please?"

Urgent Up-date:

We at the Brit's Guide have recently had a note from the Osceola Tax Office, via the Kissimmee CVB that they have to request that people do NOT send cash with their applications as this is causing all kinds of problems. They have been able to fill some applications like this but they will not be able to do so in future as their system is just not set up to receive cash (plus, it is also a security issue for their offices if they are getting cash in the mail).

Also, they need to point out applications should only be sent up to THREE MONTHS in advance (they are receiving requests up to a year in advance); anything more than that is putting a strain on their system.

Here is the full message from the Kissimmee CVB:

"The Osceola Tax Collectors Office has received quite a number of requests for the handicap placards with cash. They have asked us, through you, to see if you can get the word out that they can only accept a US-issued money order or a credit card number. Also, they can issue them for 90 days but are receiving requests for 6 months and up to a year in advance. She said once they receive, they promptly process and send out thus taking 2-3 weeks for applicants to receive. Could you assist us, please?"

Fair point.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I always think carefully about sending cash anywhere let alone across the Atlantic.

To be honest, there is so little fuss involved in applying in person I would recommend it every time.

David

Yes, getting your placard by going to one of the tax offices when you arrive is definitely handy, and the Kissimmee offices (especially the head office at the east end of Highway 192) are very organised for this. The only real snag is if you have a late arrival or arrive at the weekends, as the offices only open from 8am-4.30pm Mon-Fri.

It is now possible to get your disabled plaquard form the UK, we sent them an email enquiry, then sent jpg's of the blue badge and passport, they then rang us to take payment, and for no extra charge posted the badge to us, so we had it before leaving. As long as you do this 4-5 weeks before you go. the process was very simple :thumbsup2

I have read the various statements about disabled parking in florida. I have just been on a website (orlandomeetinginfo.com ) which contradicts everything you say. It states that the visitor's temporary parking permit is NOT available. This agrees with my own experience last May (2006) when I visited a tag office in Fort Lauderdale and was told by an official that there was NO temporary parking permits. I asked 2 police officers who said I could use by British blue badge. This website I was looking at states that Orlando Police would accept my Blue Badge providing it was hung prominently from the windscreen of my car. I will be contacting a tag office in Orlando before we go in April this year. I will keep you informed.
chris h

Hi Chris, and thanks for pointing this out. I'm afraid the info on this website is most definitely wrong, and it needs to be pointed out to the CVB. Not all the police are fully up to date with the change in the law regarding foreign disabled parking placards, hence the conflicting advice you've heard, but the Orlando CVB should really know better, and we'll bring this to their attention.

The bottom line remains that the Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles is very clear that no foreign disabled parking placards can be accepted, only those from other US states.

Hi Chris, and thanks for pointing this out. I'm afraid the info on this website is most definitely wrong, and it needs to be pointed out to the CVB. Not all the police are fully up to date with the change in the law regarding foreign disabled parking placards, hence the conflicting advice you've heard, but the Orlando CVB should really know better, and we'll bring this to their attention.

The bottom line remains that the Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles is very clear that no foreign disabled parking placards can be accepted, only those from other US states.

The changes described in other posts have happened since 2006. Prior to this, the Blue Badge was accepted in various places outside Disney but certainly now, you risk a heavy fine (and being towed away) for parking in a Disabled parking space WITHOUT displaying a temporary placard.

David

Hi :rotfl:

Just an update on the previous threads, we went to one of the Tax offices about three years ago and got our first Temp US Disability Permit after hearing that the UK Blue ones might not be acceptable everywhere. We travel to Florida twice a year (trip 21 coming up). Anyway we posted our last application off in June 2007 including the last Temp. Permit and my Mum's Blue Badge and Passport copies and the $15 dollar fee. The fee was returned to us along with the new permit as you can have 2 permits each year for the $15 dollar fee. So if you travel more than once a year like us you only pay one fee of $15 each year but you do have to re-apply for each permit. We will have to pay for our next permit when we travel in September. Hope this helps.

Pam.
:banana: :banana:

We have just returned from our second trip within a year and did have to pay another $15 fee for our second permit. I specifically asked whether we needed to pay for a replacement as I've heard of others who didn't but was told we did. It sems like they still don't have their facts straight on this.

Some people are also reporting having permits issued for 6 months, we've had only 3 months each time.

We have just come back after a two week holiday. My wifes (who was my fiancee before we went) father is disabled and we used his British blue badge everywhere without any problems. We even had a police officer check our car at the Premium Outlets and all he asked was that we display it on the back of the rear view mirror rather than on the dash.
Where have people been having problems?
In my opinion if you have a blue badge then you are clearly disabled and there should be no disputing that point. You should have as much right to a disabled spot as anyone else. It seems wrong to charge you for what is a necessary convenience.

Hi Chris. It is a fair question and, to be honest, there is a lot of inconsistency with the way this rule is applied in Florida, as many law officers seem to work to the old idea that the Blue Badge IS still OK, but there are others who know the law has changed. If you do get away with using the UK badge, great; you've just saved $15. But the basic fact is, UK users of the blue badge ARE running a risk, as the letter of the law insists it is no longer applicable. I also think the longer this goes on, the more risk there is of the strict letter of the law being applied.

As we have said on this thread before, for the sake of $15.00, it will save you a sizeable fine and the sheer inconvienience of possibly having your rental car towed away.

David

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter