Using Vacation Points to Cruise

Fredonia85

Earning My Ears
Has anyone used their Vacation Club points to Cruise? I'm considering purchasing a Vacation Club property with the sole intention of using the points to cruise every 2 or 3 years. Am I the only one considering this option?
Your thoughts and experieces will help us with this decision.

Thanks!

Mark

We are using our points to cruise this July. You will spend much less money if you book your cruise using the early booking savings via a cash reservation rather than using DVC points. DVC points have their greatest value used at DVC resorts. Exchanges are negotiated on a year by year basis and you are not protected from increases in the point cost of exchange options like Disney Cruise line. We ended up needing to buy additional points to cruise this year, whereas we would have had plenty of points based on the DCL point schedule when we bought. If you are just buying DVC to cruise, I would advise against it.

The only reason we joined the DVC was for the cruise. I see DrP's argument but we like the idea of staying at one place, and having our entertainment and meals included in the cost. It's all in what you see as your ideal vacation and what you like to do. For us, the DVC is cruising. Right now for our points (est. 650*) we will be paying $2512.44 a year for maintenance fees/taxes - we can cruise almost twice a year (category 6, verandah) for that and for the other cruises, early booking.

*(We bought 400 pts at HH, added 150 at VWL (resale) and are in the process of adding 100 pts at VB (resale).)

Rae

DH and I booked our November cruise on points. I don't think I would do it again. I know there are DVCers out there who have loads of points so it might not matter to them. We are not counted in that number. Our points are very precious and although this is a special occasion (10th anniversary) and I wanted to do something special, the more I think about it, we could have spent 2 whole weeks at the Vero Beach property in a gardenview inn room or 8 days in a one bedroom villa for the points we are using for this 5 day cruise.

I personally would not buy DVC to cruise only. It's a nice alternative, especially if you have a ton of points, but as the previous poster said, you get the most value from your points staying at the DVC properties. For instance, we had 41 points left for our upcoming use year and I was able to book a studio at OKW for 5 days with those points where it cost us 182 points for an inside cabin on the cruise (I was fortunate enough to snag a secret porthole room so I'm happy about that).

Of course, they would be your points to do with as you will but if you are asking opinions, I wouldn't. Maybe if the points didn't go up every year for the cruise it might be an option but I wouldn't buy DVC just for the cruise. Take care!

We've used our points the last 3 years now and love it. We have 350 points and our use year is in December. Remember you can use banked or borrowed points, too. I truly love WDW but varying the routine with a cruise is wonderful. Not only do you get to become a castaway club member as a returning cruiser but DVC does nice things for you onboard, too. This year we're doing back to back cruises. We're using points on one and the other I was lucky enough to win on Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer onboard last year. We can't wait. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you do it but just make sure you have enough points to secure the type of room category you'd like. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions.

Lisa Marie Smith

We have ALWAYS used our DVC points to book our cruises (couldn't afford it otherwise). I do agree, however, that you can use the same amount of points on Disney property for a longer period of time, but are you really saving?

When you add in the cost of park admission (or passes), expensive food, activities, etc., that is already INCLUDED on a cruise, I don't think you can compare. We have banked and borrowed our points to be able to use them for the cruises and this year (in one month) we'll be going on our 3rd Magic cruise! Can't wait!

DVC is THE BEST thing we have ever done for ourselves! :D

We too, use our points to cruise. When we go with the kids, we combine points and cash. If we didn't use our points, I doubt we'd be able to go as often as we have, since due to scholl scedules, we've not been able to go during the value season.

The question is not whether to use points to cruise--I don't regret doing that at all. But if ALL that one is going to do with the points is to cruise, I would not buy into DVC. Plus, there is no assurance that the cruise will continue to be an option (though, I would bet that it is likely that it will be).

I would recommend that you get the points. Right now Dr. P's point is valid but as the cost of the cruise goes up over the next few years, your points are already bought and paid for and you will no doubt get the future cruises for a bargain price. We bought our points 10 years ago (we paid $58 per point) when hotel rooms on property were about $150 to $200 a night (Polynesian, Contemporary etc.). The current prices are about twice that but you can still stay at a high end hotel (like the Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge or the Beach Club) for 8 or 9 points during the week.

We also bought into the DVC last year on our cruise. WE go to WDW all the time (only being an hour away and annual passholder for 9 years), but it also gives us a chance to go on DCL. We only paid cash for our 1st one (where we became DVC members on the cruise) and with the rest of our cruises, we use points for the 1st person and pay cash for the rest.

We used points to cruise last summer. We could not have done it at that time without using points. We did pay cash for both of the kids. I would do it again.

Although some DVC'ers say that it is not worth using points, I take into consideration that you are paying for almost the total vacation (including food, entertainment, etc..).

I would do it again in a heart beat. The best vacation we have ever had as a family.

Vicki

Vicki - what you said about the best vacation you ever had as a family will live in the hearts of your children forever. Mom and Dad both relaxed and enjoying themselves - no rushing around to movies, theme parks or restaurants. Just kicking back and getting to know your children and your spouse, or parents - it's the best!

I am so glad I talked my Mother into cruising last fall - it was her first airplane ride and cruise. She was 73! She loved it and what she loved most was the relaxing way we all had fun and didn't have the stress the average vacation. She's coming with me on my May and October cruise; DH is with me on the August one....and of course, Michael is on all three!

We never know what our future is going to be, but we sure can make a wonderful day to remember tomorrow!!!

Rae

We are going on the May 10th Magic cruise and booked the whole thing on points. When I tell people it cost us only $75 they are shocked. I never consider the "cost per point" thing. These are my points and theya re paid for to do what ever aI want with them. If it's a good value in your mind then it's a good value. If you wouldn't use the points at the resorts how good is theier value to you there? To plan a vacation and not have to worry about coming up with so much money is well worth it. We would never be able to take a week long cruise on Disney w/ a verandah if we didn't use our DVC points. That is one of the many joys of being a DVCowner...there is so much flexibility! I say go for it! And here's to many years of magical vacations and memories!:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

We too are using our DVC points to book a cruise next May. Yes it takes a lot of points, but I think it's worth it because it covers your food. We also have many points that we need to use up so this is a fantastic way to use them. We bought a condo in Celebration so don't use our DVC resorts at Disney anymore. Within the next few years we'll be trading off to many different places and we think if it makes us happy, it's worth it. Good luck with your decision. Can't wait for next May!!! : )

Keep in mind that the point costs for the cruise can go up even more substantially than the rack rates for the resorts. Our cruise has gone from 337 points when we joined three years ago to over 500 points for next year. While one can argue whether using points for the cruise is a good deal, my argument doesn't even go that direction.

My " point " (ok ok pun intended!!) ; ) is I have so many points to use and no where to use them because I usually don't like to travel too far from home. The cruise is a big big big step for me and if we don't use the points for the cruise and bank them for next year, I am sure I would have to do the same thing next year and they aren't going to be valid forever. I agree that it's a big chunk of points, much more then for any of the DVC's or hotels, but I have no other priority for using them. I have read where some people use points for one person and pay for another. You'd have to ask someone about that because I really don't know anything about that. Also keep in mind that there are some very good cruise rates out there!! Good luck with your decision. "A smile is such an easy thing to share and one of the few things you hope is contagious!" Lynn

We've been DVC members since early 2000 and have used our points for cruises twice - May of 2001 and the DVC Member Cruise earlier this year. We have also used our points to stay at our home resort Boardwalk, as well as visits to VWL and a trip to Vero Beach for my in-laws.

Many will say that using points to cruise is a waste, but my feeling is I bought those points to pre-pay for my vacations for the next 42 years (well it was 42 years when we bought I think). Our cruises have been part of that.

We booked this May's cruise on cash and never would have been able to go on two cruises in one year if it wasn't for DVC as we used points for the Member Cruise.

I guess I look at it like this, I paid my DVC points off fast - so all I have to be concerned with now is the maintenance fees/taxes.

For the 650 points (pending 100pt add on approval), I pay $209.37 a month or $2512.44 a year for one plus cruise (category 6, deck 5) for 2 Adults and 1 child.

I can't pay cash for that. I have no worries about going out for entertainment, food or any other expenses other than the inital $75, tips, excursions and souveniers. To us, that is our vacation and our relaxation and our plan for retirement!!!

Maybe when we have more time, maybe when we are older, we will want to stay a few weeks at each resort, but for now -
cruise on!

Rae

We became Members so that we could do the Disney Cruise, yes.....but, it wasn't our sole reason for joining. We have noticed a considerable jump in points, for our family of 5, since we first joined in mid 2000. We can't afford the cat 4 Family stateroom this time with our points alone---we would have to do part in cash. We cruised this past November on points and don't regret doing so. But OTOH, we're looking forward to staying at OKW again, and driving up to that "Welcome Home" sign. I can honestly say, I wouldn't buy points just to cruise---in fact, we're cruising again in November 2004 and paying all cash this time. We got early booking savings thru DU, and we're getting two cat 10 (secret porthole) staterooms. We want to save our points and stay at OKW or one of the other DVC resorts either before or after the cruise.
I agree with the other posters who feel the "point price" for the cruise is going to continue to climb at a steady clip and in my opinion, not making the best use from the points used. But I can understand using points (or points/cash) from time to time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter