Vacation Tips for Women! :)

makeup / skincare / tanning?
I skip makeup entirely at WDW. Anything I'd put on would just rub off or sweat off by mid-afternoon. However, I would never skip on sunblock even though I tan very quickly but rarely burn. My dermatologist frowns upon anything less than SPF30. I use Neutrogena rapid tone repair moisturizer spf 30 - it doesn't leave white streaks. I carry a lip balm with spf 15 and that's about it for skincare. I can't even bother with a tinted lip balm or lipstick because I snack so often in WDW that I wouldn't be able to keep up.

How do you choose clothing to wear / shoes?
My friends and I like to do theme days like Stripes day, or Crazy Pattern day, etc. I've worn everything from sneakers to ballet flats to flip flops, as long as there's no heel. My biggest regret was pointy-toe lambskin flats that normally were comfortable but I had never been in them for more than 5 hours. And all the walking in MK ruined the shoes, to the point that I tossed them that night in the hotel and bought Mickey flipflops for the rest of the trip. I felt too naked in the flipflops and wouldn't recommend unless it's the middle of summer or during hurricane season (but rubber flipflops like Reef get slippery in the footbed during torrential rain). I stick with comfortable strappy flat sandals that I've broken in - something I wouldn't mind getting wet on a ride but good enough for a sit-down dinner (think Banana Republic, J.Crew). I get a pedicure before I go, and a leg massage when I get home!
I've always worn dresses or skirts in bright colors or patterns at WDW - those photograph well in the light. I wouldn't wear a maxi skirt because it'd drag or I might trip. My friend once wore a light colored sun dress and got drenched on Brer Rabbit, after which the dress became sheer! She had to run into the bathroom and dry off before she dared to come out.
For bags, I like small LeSportsac bags because they're light and washable. I have a small one with an adjustable strap that converts from a shoulder bag to crossbody to waistpack. Every time I go to WDW I try to bring less with me, so my next trip I plan to whittle down to a card case with my ID and cash, iPhone, charger, lip balm and digital camera. (I'll have a MagicBand)

How do you manage your hair?
Normally my hair is short (shoulder bob) so it's not in my way. But the past two WDW trips, my hair's longer and it's down for as long as I can manage the humidity and heat, and by mid-afternoon it'll be in a ponytail. I stay away from hair products because sweat + product = greasy hair.

What are your tips for dealing with the heat?
Keep hydrated. A great excuse for getting frozen lemonades and/or Dole whips. I try to stay away from sugar and hot food, so no candy, pizza or fried foods. At MK, I will do more than one showing in Hall of Presidents or Philharmagic to stay in the a/c.

How do you deal when "that time of the month" suprises you on your vacation!?
I bring a few supplies, extra undies, and I skip the placebo week on BC. It works! I'll wear pantyliners just in case there's spotting.

Transportation
There's no way around queues, especially since I go and leave the parks at opening and closing when everyone else wants to be there too. I try to take advantage of EMH whenever possible but don't get on queues to be at the start or end of EMHs. I go to the front of the monorail.

Saving for the trip
I stop discretionary spending for a month or two before the trip, and usually I feel so guilty about how much I've spent at WDW that I don't spend frivolously for the weeks after the trip. Whatever I spend on airfare+hotel+park tickets (for myself), I'll budget half that amount for spending at the parks, and that's how I come up with the total for the trip. I've never spent more than my budget, and I allow myself one or two gifts of $50 or less in addition to the souvenirs I always get per trip (a Christmas ornament and a homegoods item).

Last edited:

I just have to pop in to say please please PLEASE don't rely on your foundation product for sun protection. I work in the beauty industry, and every skin professional I've talked to has stressed the importance of having a dedicated sunscreen. Most foundations/BB creams don't have high enough protection - you need at least SPF 35 to prevent sun and aging damage, and maybe even more if you're fair.

Then, even if your foundation DOES have a high enough SPF, you're probably not applying enough for full coverage. Get a dedicated facial sunscreen. :) Your skin will thank you in ten years.

I like the Neutrogena face sunscreen, it comes in a tiny bottle, is oil free, it looks more like a water, so no lotiony mess for my face in summer.... I get SO oily in hot weather that I had just stopped wearing any out of frustration....(CVS also makes their own store brand version that is great too) but then I discovered this, plus my Becca no shine primer for the toughest oily parts of my face, plus Bare minerals veil powder..... it works great! I also keep those blotting papers with me,and a tiny sample container of the primer, in case I need a bit of help on a long day.... It sounds like a lot, but I like to look 'good' without looking made up,or like a greasy mess.....

There are no words for my excitement right now...I've been looking for a thread like this for YEARS! Looking forward to reading through all 62 pages! :cloud9:

For now, here's my tips and tricks for staying fabulous while in WDW:

makeup / skincare / tanning?
I personally wear more makeup than most women to the parks, just because I'm a makeup junkie and its important to me that I look nice in vacation pictures. For my skin, I wear a primer, then Revlon Colorstay foundation, NYX HD concealer for under my eyes, contour using bronzer, setting powder, and ELF facial whips for my cheek bones. I forgo blush because the heat gives me enough of a natural flush. :rolleyes: I always fill in my brows. For eyes, I use Urban Decay's primer potion, then any nude shimmer shadow. I typically pack my Urban Decay Naked palette on vacations. I line my upper lid with liquid eyeliner, then apply Loreal Voluminous original waterproof mascara generously. I do absolutely nothing on my lower lash line, because that's the first thing that gets smudged and icky with the heat and humidity. I set this all with a setting spray to ensure it is sweat proof and will wear well through my long, sweaty Disney day.
I lather myself in the morning with an SPF 15, and generally don't touch up at the parks. For laying out at the pool, I won't deny that I cover myself in tanning oil, but it has SPF, I swear!

For my vacation, I take a piece of paper and divide it into sections for how many days we will be there. Then, I list what we will be doing each day. This is where it makes me look quite particular, but makes a huge difference: I plan every outfit for every day.
For example, for an MK day, I might make the following list :
- blue floral sundress
- Teva sandals
- tiara
- Mickey earrings
- Alex and Ani bracelets
- Ray Bans

I find that this prevents me from over or under packing! i bring this with me on vacation for reference so I don't waste time trying to remember what I wanted to wear. As a general rule, I spend the mass majority of my vacation in sundresses, which makes packing that much easier.

What are your *essentials* when packing for WDW?
Absolute essentials are sunglasses, my tiara that I wear to the parks, bikini for pool days, comfy shoes, and deodorant.

How do you manage your hair?
I put it up. I don't even bother with heat tools, like a curling or straightening iron. I spend the majority of my vacation wearing some sort of braid.

What are your tips for dealing with the heat?
Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink water. Also, save attractions like Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor and Country Bears for mid-afternoon when crowds and heat are at its peak.

How do you plan for your trip?
I rely mostly on The Unofficial Guide and forums!

How do you save money on your vacation?
Plan, plan, plan. The fewer unexpected expenses, the better. We also try to only eat one meal in the parks a day.

what are your strategies for the parks / what rides / shows / parades?
We travel to WDW in the summer, so we arrive to the parks 45 minutes before rope drop, no exceptions. We follow a touring plan. The best touring happens at the very beginning and very end of the day. Always go to the second showing of a parade when available.

I can't believe I made it through this entire thread! It took a few days! I have a couple of things I'd like to add to the conversation surrounding some of the "hot topics".

-On Skirts: I have never had an issue wearing skirts (except for chub rub, but now I have a solution for that, thanks ladies!). I tend to wear knit dresses or skirts that hit above the knee. They keep me cool, don't get wrinkled when traveling, dry quickly if they get wet, and because they are knit, they have enough weight/ drape that they don't fly up and expose me. I can also tuck them in between my legs if I need on some rides. The carousel is the only challenge, but I've ridden that side-saddle ;)
-On Skipping Pills: I have had a couple of gynecologists suggest that to me. I spotted on one brand of pill (I've been on a few different ones), but not on the others. If you have issues with spotting or irregularity, maybe try a different pill that may be a better fit with your particular body chemistry. You can certainly skip as many periods as you want; my dr encouraged me to since I get hormone induced migraines on my placebo pill weeks. You may want to talk to your dr about it just so you feel like your bases are covered, but it's not a practice that needs to be avoided or saved only for special exceptions.
-On Makeup:
-Make Up For Ever Skin and Body (available at Sephora) is amazing. It's waterproof so you can sweat through it, it's super sheer so it doesn't feel heavy or uncomfortable on, and if you do end up getting soaked on a water ride or something it can't stand up to, because it's sheer it's not super noticeable if a bit gets rubbed off here and there.
-Sunblock: I use a SUPER high SPF Neutrogena sunblock under my makeup (which usually also has some SPF in at least one layer, primer or foundation), and then I reapply about halfway through the day with the sunblock mist so I don't mess up my makeup too badly. I usually just use some pressed powder on top of the reapplication to keep the shine at bay.
- Best combo to set makeup I've found: primer, liquid foundation, finishing powder, finishing spray (like Urban Decay all nighter), then I press a little bit of powder (loose or pressed from a compact) on top while the finishing spray is allllmoooooost dried down, but still a bit tacky. This is a bit much makeup for Disney for me, but if you need a fuller face, try it out! I do this for work and special occasions when I need my makeup to last all day through heat and sweating. It's the only thing I've found that keeps my sunglasses from wearing my makeup off of my nose, but this is just normal 80 degree hot weather, not Florida heat and humidity.
-On having a productive AND relaxing vacation: TAKE BREAKS. You don't want to burn out. You won't enjoy things if you feel like you're on a death march through the park. Make sure to take a seat in the cool when you need, stay hydrated, etc... I have taken naps on dark rides. No shame! Sometimes a quick 10 minute cat nap is just what you need.

Thanks so much for all of the tips, I hope my $.02 help someone else out there with their planning!

For the ladies that wear skirts...is there a certain brand or type that works better than others? Do you wear some sort of shorts underneath? Are they really that much cooler than shorts? We go every year and I always wear shorts, but if if skirts are cooler, I'll def switch!

For the ladies that wear skirts...is there a certain brand or type that works better than others? Do you wear some sort of shorts underneath? Are they really that much cooler than shorts? We go every year and I always wear shorts, but if if skirts are cooler, I'll def switch!

YES, they are cooler, in my experience. You get much more air flow under a skirt, plus since the type I wear are not as fitted, I don't get as uncomfortable. I don't have a specific brand, but I really like knit (l go for a heavy t-shirt type fabric) tank sun dresses. I've had good luck finding things like that at Kohl's. I try to go for something without sleeves (I like ventilation in the armpit area...), that's not fitted below the waist (much comfier!), and that hits just above the knee or at the knee so I don't have to worry about bending down and flashing people, climbing into ride seats, etc... Because the entire dress has some stretch to it, I never feel like these are binding, either. The only trade off is potential chafing on the thighs, but that happens with short-shorts as well. I can't stand when short legs ride up in the crotch area, either, so that may be a big part of why I find skirts and dresses so much more comfortable. Oh, and sometimes you can find yoga-pant type skirts; they'll have a folded over waistband sometimes, or just have a bit of elastic at the top and then be a stretchy fabric for the skirt. Something like that in a swingy (not tight!) cut is really comfortable with a tank top or t-shirt. I've found skirts like that all over; Target, Kohl's, most recently at the Banana Republic outlet.

This may be TMI, but in skirts I've found wearing thong underwear is also much cooler than a traditional bikini brief. On the days I've done that to avoid panty line, I realize I get a lot more breeze. It doesn't make much difference in shorts since the shorts are pretty fitted in the same area that the underwear would be, but in a swingy skirt you'll get more breeze on your butt. Just something to think about! I'm not too concerned about being too revealing in a knee-length (or close to it) skirt or dress, but if you are wearing something shorter you may want to reconsider the thong/ short skirt/ climbing in and out of ride vehicle mix.

I can't stand when short legs ride up in the crotch area, either, so that may be a big part of why I find skirts and dresses so much more comfortable.

THIS is why I wear skirts or long sundresses. Plus, I got a painful sunburn on the backs of my knees on year. I like to cover up a little more now.

makeup / skincare / tanning?: I wear mascara on an everyday basis and switch to waterproof if I am out and about. Any other makeup just wears off so its pointless. I wear Banana Boat Ultra Defense 110 SPF clear spray or Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch or Mist SPF 100 because I am really pale with freckles. As a kid, I would tan, but after puberty I burn, baby, BURN! I mostly use Banana Boat on my body and Neutrogena on my face. I bring an SPF chapstick for my lips. I also have a stick version of sunscreen that I can use on my face to freshen up on the spots that I don't want a lotion to get into (i.e. around my eyes). If I do get a sunburn, the greatest combo is black tea and this product:

http://wopeden.com/3958-thickbox_default/nivea-daily-essentials-soothing-toner.jpg

Really, its so soothing and my burn goes away more quickly (days sooner). I may soak a washcloth in it and then lay it on my face. You can do the same thing with a large towel on each side of your body if you have that bad of a burn.

I also always bring fingernail clippers because worn/peeling fingernails are a huge pet peeve on myself. I really cannot stop thinking about it until I clip it off.

Shoes: I wear a pair of hiking shoes I have that are no longer on the market. I have worn them in well and they have been all around the world. So, that doesn't help any of you. What might is some skin management ideas. I can sometimes get blisters so I will use something called Second Skin (see photo: http://www.backcountryedge.com/images/PRODUCT/large/spenco-2nd-skin-dressing-kit.jpg) over the blister or spot that is wearing. Its hospital grade and very gentle (they use it on preemies!). Then I cover it with tegaderm (see photo: http://www.ojmedical.com/img/prods/large/mmm1634_tegaderm_2_3_8_x_2_3_4.jpg). If I am really smart, I start off my day with tegaderm over the spots I know will rub. I also have a rub stick for friction issues. However, I may never have to use these products if I just wear my hiking shoes. Sometimes I wear flip flops or flats and then those skin management items are needed.

Clothing: I usually wear clothes that I don't worry about getting sweat stains. Cotton is always good. I wear jeans. I know, I am a freak, but I really don't get that hot in them and they are a great sun protector. P.S. wash new jeans multiple times before wearing in a humid climate or you will have blue legs that may take days to wash out. Not a good look if you are going swimming or going to wear shorts/skirts at some point. I used to wear linen pants but I just don't fit them anymore. Boo! I NEVER wear shorts or skirts when touring. Can't be bothered with that upkeep (riding up, flying up, bike shorts, etc). As for undergarments, I wear a regular, simple bra and breathable underwear.

How do you manage your hair? :-)rotfl: I've not found a good combo yet for humid weather. I find myself putting my hair up a lot in a pony or bun, but it looks terrible in pictures. I don't usually put any products in my hair because the humidity reacts with them and does something strange to my hair. I normally lo-poo, then if I want to wear my curls I use kinky-curly curling custard and layer it with rock hard gelee and scrunch out the crunch. It keeps my curls all day. However, this doesn't work in humidity. It probably would if I didn't scrunch out the crunch, but I hate crunchy hair so that isn't an option. Sometimes straightening it helps, but it just gets greasy faster that way and really doesn't keep it straight through the day, it just tames it.

What are your tips for dealing with the heat? I'm not the person to ask. I don't get too bothered by the heat. Its humidity that sucks. However, you just drink lots of water, pop into cool buildings when you can, take a nap, etc.

How do you deal when "that time of the month" suprises you on your vacation!? Everyone is talking about the diva cup, but thats so old school. I use a femmecycle which is a better version of it. Its more pliable, leak proof, and has a ring instead of that weird pointy end (it makes it easier to remove). I love it. You only have to change it once in the morning and before bed. Its so simple. For those that have heavy flow, I do too and this product keeps it ALL in ALL day. I bring freshening wipes for 'down there' because I find no matter how breezy the undies you can always do with a refresher here and there. All that being said, I just try to skip the empties on my birth control which is prescribed by my MD. Unfortunately, sometimes I miss a day (good thing I am not active) and my period happens anyway. Yep, after skipping ONE. Ain't life grand?

How do you plan for your trip? Like a mad woman, but a mad scientist sort of mad not a mad hare sort of mad.

How do you save money on your vacation? I don't; unless you count just not doing certain activities or staying at a value resort. I do what I want, eat what I want, etc. Its not that I am made of money but I travel solo mostly and can spend what I do have on ME.

what resorts do you choose and why? I chose POP because it was Value and because it has short bus rides compared to the other values. If I had my pick of the litter, though. I would stay at the Grand Floridian. Ritzy!

Hello! Thank you for this thread, it's wonderful!

Also, apologies if this was already mentioned, but....

I wear bathing suit tops which are really comfy and I can wear them under light colored shirts no problem. Also, if it rains, or you get wet, they dry quickly.

ALSO, Aloe Vera is a GOD SEND. I love the stuff for sunburns. A lesser known item is called After Sun, and its aloe vera lotion for keeping a tan. ( That is how it is advertised.) I have used it on sunburns however and found it works better than the gel!

For both of them, keep them in a cooler or fridge and it's nice and extra cool when you need to use it. :)

I haven't been to disney in 17 years (But I will be there in two weeks!!!), so this advice comes from a lot of day trips in the sun.

Hope I helped!

I wear skirts or dresses not just because they're cooler but b/c Indon't like how shorts look..

That can really be a problem, especially in a humid climate. I tried a cute denim above-the-knee skirt on a vacation in California last year, and was miserable because of inner-thigh chafing (and I have fairly thin legs!). I ended up running back to my hotel to get my Dove solid antiperspirant and used that on my thighs, which helped.

I have better luck with "skorts" - they look like a skirt, but have attached shorts underneath. I have a knit one that looks very cute, and it was very comfortable on my last WDW trip. Also, not as much to worry about when on rides, since you don't have a skirt blowing up!

Here's a great skort that's lightweight, breathable, comfortable, stylish, and modest.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=92344&vid=1&pid=964574032

I love seeing that other people care about makeup in the parks as much as I do! I'm a makeup junkie as well, and absolutely hate how I look after a few hours in the August humidity. By the 3rd day of my trips, I'm usually in 'who cares' mode and opt for some concealer, bronzer and a lil mascara. I'll skip the foundation or anything heavy because I'll be wiping it off sooner than later.

That's another reason why I LOVE the Fall in Disney... I can wear my hair down, straight and my makeup in the parks.

Btw - does anyone else use Ben Nye Final Seal setting spray? I've read online that it's what the Disney Princesses use to lock in their makeup. I love this stuff, but don't know anyone else who uses it.

Has anyone ever used one of these before?
glxxblkblkxxx_2.jpg
sorry for the crappy pic, here's the link http://hipssister.com/shop-now/travel/global-sister/global-sister-black.html#.VTjXWiFVhBc

I used to have DD's stroller and that was awesome, then switched to a hip/"fanny" pack and loved it. Now with the magic band i really won't need a bag per say, and this was a steal the other day so I bought it. It looks like I'll have enough room for my phone, camera, ID and credit card.

If you have used it, please give me any feedback good or bad on it.

I just have to pop in to say please please PLEASE don't rely on your foundation product for sun protection. I work in the beauty industry, and every skin professional I've talked to has stressed the importance of having a dedicated sunscreen. Most foundations/BB creams don't have high enough protection - you need at least SPF 35 to prevent sun and aging damage, and maybe even more if you're fair.

Then, even if your foundation DOES have a high enough SPF, you're probably not applying enough for full coverage. Get a dedicated facial sunscreen. :) Your skin will thank you in ten years.

I love my Clinique Super City Block, SPF 40. It's lightweight and not oily!

It's been exactly a year since someone has posted!

I'm sure some of these has been repeated:

I am the kind of person when I travel (I've done several Europe trips and cruises) that I like to leave with less then I came with.

-I stash makeup/skin care samples from Sephora trips. Also some magazines have makeup samples! I keep those too. Also if you ask at Sephora they will provide samples. I like to use and toss when done.
-I try and get my legs waxed before my trip. That saves a lot of time and I HATE shaving. When I do have to shave, I like to Venus Spa breeze, as it has shaving cream around the blades.
-I'll wear super old pajamas and tees and toss at the end of the trip
-I love blotting papers for touch ups during the day.
-I love bathing suits that have mix and match pieces so I can wear them all different ways.
-Airbourne, hand sanitzer and disinfecting wipes are a must
-I will check ahead to see if the room I am staying in, rather hotel or cruise stateroom, has a hair dryer, shampoo, etc. and pack accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter