Vancouver Downtown Eastside/Gastown Question

BrokeMack

DIS Veteran
So I'm seeing all the tourist warnings about downtown eastside/E Hastings. Anybody know where the bad part begins? It looks like W Hastings is W of Carrall and E Hastings is E of it. Are we generally okay in Gastown? I'm considering switching from the Delta Downtown to the Marriott Pinnacle for this reason. Thanks.

I’m interested in responses, as we’re also booked at the Delta and I saw those reviews. I still booked anyways, because they kind of struck me as people who just haven’t been in a big city much or seen unhoused people before, but we’re also traveling with an 8-year-old and don’t expect to be out walking about after dark. But maybe there’s something more I need to be aware of.

I’m interested in responses, as we’re also booked at the Delta and I saw those reviews. I still booked anyways, because they kind of struck me as people who just haven’t been in a big city much or seen unhoused people before, but we’re also traveling with an 8-year-old and don’t expect to be out walking about after dark. But maybe there’s something more I need to be aware of.
Looking at Google streetview, you've got to go several blocks east before you get into the sketchy area. If you go north to Gastown it looks pretty good, and anything further than that you're probably taking an Uber anyway, but I'm interested to get the straight story from someone who's been there.

I have stayed at the Delta and walked around Gastown, and didn't feel particularly unsafe. I just use the same precautions that I would at home or somewhere like New York City. Pay attention to your surroundings, keep your belongings secure and have fun.

Edit to add I travel as a solo female, if that makes a difference. I would feel even more safe in a group.

So I'm seeing all the tourist warnings about downtown eastside/E Hastings. Anybody know where the bad part begins? It looks like W Hastings is W of Carrall and E Hastings is E of it. Are we generally okay in Gastown? I'm considering switching from the Delta Downtown to the Marriott Pinnacle for this reason. Thanks.
We were in Vancouver last May for our Disney Cruise. Gastown felt safe to us and we ate dinner one night at the Old Spaghetti Factory and checked out some of the shops in Gastown. We walked there from the Fairmont Waterfront.

We did use the get on get off bus on multiple days since they take you to various parts of the city and two different tour drivers did comment that the area near the Women's Health Collective on W Hastings was not the best part of town to be in, due to the illegal activity that happens in that area. They said it was not as bad as it use to be, but still not an area to be in after dark.

I also walked from our hotel to the local comic book store, located on Granville Street and while walking up Granville, I saw lots of drug use, even though I walked up there during the day and there were tons of people around and the street is lined with shops, bars and restaurants. I never felt unsafe while walking there and back, but I was surprised by what I saw out in the open.

Just pay attention to your surroundings and you should be fine.

Psy

We stayed at the YWCA Hotel (2011). My niece stayed down the street at the Hampton Inn for her honeymoon (2018). They are both across the Robson Street from the stadium and on the eastern edge of Yaletown. We walked to the train to get to the cruise port. I didn’t feel uneasy. We walked around the area In the daytime and would have gone back to the hotel after dinner.

(I have also stayed at the Pan Pacific. Walked around the area near that after dark, too.).

Looking at TripAdvisor, I do see a negative review about the area near the Delta Suites. The stated concern was car break-ins.

If you haven’t been to Vancouver but have been to other large cities - and didn’t appreciate the crowds and heavy traffic - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Our family loves that Vancouver looks so much like the large US cities you see on TV - as it is a big filming location. >>

View attachment 734350

Most important is that you feel safe with what you book. Go with your gut (If you trust it).
I mean, I live in Albuquerque and Breaking Bad is pretty much a documentary, but the solution here is to just not go to certain parts of town. I just want to make sure the hotel isn't in the middle of an "avoid" area. It doesn't sound like it will be a problem, but I appreciate everyone's input.

We stayed at the Delta last year after a cruise to Vancouver. No problem at all with the surrounding area, and we enjoyed the hotel. The only time we felt the area was a little sketchy was in and near Chinatown, but we never felt unsafe at all. Gastown was completely fine.

Local resident here:

Gastown is a tourist primary area that is safe. warning though, even a block away you will find some very sad things (Not necessarily dangerous, but sad and may make you feel unsafe).

Water Street from Cordova to Carrall, Carrall st from Water to Cordova, and Alexander St. from Carrall to Main St. are considered part of Gastown. No problems other than crowds and touristy stuff.

E hasting St (2 streets over from Water) is the main area of what is called the "Downtown east side", and is has a lot of homeless and people struggling with addiction and mental illness. During the daytime it is sad, and unfortunate. At night it has a rougher feel (but more in the sense of you may get yelled at or see some stuff).

Chinatown is E Pender st (one more past E Hastings) between Carrall and Gore Ave. During the day it is a very interesting cultural area, and I do recommend visiting if you haven't been to one before (eg: San Francisco). The Dr. Sun Yat-sen garden is really nice. At nights, consider this area part of the Downtown East Side (see above).

The Delta Hotel (Vancouver Downtown Suites) is just fine. It is located on E Hastngs, but before it changes to the Downtown East Side (that happens around Cambie/Abbott St), and is only a block away from the beginning of Water street. If you are in that area, walk up Richards to Dunsmuir and try Ramen Gojiro. Very good Tsukamen style ramen.

One note for people who are not local. Downtown Vancouver is a hill, with the peaks at Granville @ Georgia and Nelson @ Burrard It isn't that bad, but be aware of it.

For good waterfront restaurants (I highly recommend doing this):
  • Tap & Barrel (Convention center) has a great outdoor patio if it is nice out, with harbour views
  • Steamworks (Gastown) has a lower level with great harbour views)
  • Carderos (A bit of a walk, but worth it), on the water, amazing seafood, even better views of the harbour
  • Top of Vancouver. Pricy, but unparralled views of the area from a 360 degree rotation restaurant.

If you are renting a car, and are on the North Shore (Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge), I recommend "Salmon House on the Hill". It is a high end seafood restaurant in the middle of a residential area with a panoramic view over all of Vancouver. Note: Only go on a clear day. (Well, the food is really good, but the view makes the trip)

We stayed at the Delta Downtown for a few days before our cruise but it was before the pandemic. I made the reservation, and like you, read that they had a lot of unhoused people and the area was not safe. We couldn't have been happier there! Like many cities now, there were some homeless, but we did not feel unsafe and we walked all over the area. Not a midnight, but we were out fairly late and didn't feel threatened. I loved the hotel. I would also comment, that there are quite a few interesting walking tours of Gastown and the surrounding areas that were unique and fun, with great guides who recommended great places to eat, etc. If you can manage, the Granville Island Market is not to be missed.

I had a bone chilling experience at Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden. The most beautiful garden that really makes you feel like you are in China Every where you look. It’s total immersion into the most beautiful Chinese culture. It’s very quiet and serene. I think we only saw about 5 to 8 other people in the gardens.
But while I was there with my then 14-year-old daughter, we heard a man’s most bone curdling cry’s.
The center is set up with walls all around it. Because of the walls I couldn’t tell where the most desperate cries of the man came from because it just echoed. The cadence of his voice, the man pleading for his life with about two sentences. It was “Please you have to believe me” and either “I didn’t do it” or “it wasn’t me” maybe it was both. You could tell he meant it.
I wrote about it here before just after we left but it’s been 10 years so I don’t remember the exact wording anymore. But it was a man begging for his life, of this I am very certain. I was honestly very surprised there was no gun shot then. But now thinking back, I think I understand how he could’ve been so quiet right after that. Not another word.
We walked quickly trying to act like we didn’t hear anything from the garden into a gift shop to be around more people. After about 15 minutes felt we could get to the car and leave unnoticed. This will haunt me the rest of my life.
So maybe don’t visit there solo. And no hotels in that particular area. And as TenKawa said not at night.

I was honestly very surprised there was no gun shot then.

Canada. While there are guns here, handguns aren't very common, and mostly are used for gang violence if it happens. (And when they are used, it attracts a LOT of police attention) In the Downtown East Side, it is much more likely to be a stabbing.

That or mental illness. There are a lot of people in that area who will scream a lot of disturbing things, even with nobody around.

Canada. While there are guns here, handguns aren't very common, and mostly are used for gang violence if it happens. (And when they are used, it attracts a LOT of police attention) In the Downtown East Side, it is much more likely to be a stabbing.

That or mental illness. There are a lot of people in that area who will scream a lot of disturbing things, even with nobody around.
Too strong of a plea to be mental illness, thinking back. But I’m so naïve I figured because there was no gun shot that the guy was fine. I had hoped anyway. I’m showing how American I am I guess. It never dawned on me that someone would use a knife until today.

In the US it’s a well-known choice you don’t bring a knife to a gunfight. You have such a lovely city. It was one of my top 3, until I went to Europe last year.

As an add-on: The class of "hotel" (and I do use the term loosely) in the not so great areas is not the type that a Disney cruiser would stay in (or pretty much anyone with two coins to rub together).

That said, there are hotels that are closer to the bars and such, and those can be noisy on Friday/Saturday nights. Especially after a big concert or hockey game.

As a single female in my thirties I would walk home from downtown through the downtown east side. Never once was bothered at all. In my experience people have there own lives to worry about. And yes, extremely rare for gun violence around there.

As a single female in my thirties I would walk home from downtown through the downtown east side. Never once was bothered at all. In my experience people have there own lives to worry about. And yes, extremely rare for gun violence around there.
Yup. Sad. unfortunate. But not really "dangerous". Though I can see some people not understanding the difference. But how else do you get to the Rickshaw and the Imperial for the metal shows :)

I’ve been to Vancouver several times, mostly solo - although all pre pandemic. The area where Delta Downtown is, is fine. I’ve also walked through Chinatown area at night with no issues, when you go east of there on E Hastings is when it gets sketchy.

FWIW I did end up in the E Hastings area once late at night and nothing bad happened. But it was sketchy.

I love Vancouver, have an amazing time and try Jam Cafe for breakfast!

We stayed at the Delta last summer and thought it was great. The hotel is beautiful, had a nice bar with a knowledgeable bartender, and I think they gave us cookies at check in too. 🙂 Our room had a view of the harbor and my kids really enjoyed watching the cargo ships being loaded (DH and I did too!). It was an easy walk with our luggage to Canada Place on the morning of the cruise (even stopped at Tim Horton's for a donut on the way).
I read concerns about avoiding areas of the city prior to our trip, but as we mostly stuck to the tourist areas didn't find it any different than other major city.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter