Vanessa- figmentfan814 ~ Happily Ever Wedding & 10th Anniversary VR Brunch #1 Added 8-10

That pie looks wonderful!

Your TR is really making me want to go to HI. DH and I have been talking about how to use some of our DVC points, and we know we want to do HI at some point, we just have to figure out when. :goodvibes:

I would have been irritated about the pineapples too ;) . Then I would have gloated when I got my way in the end :rolleyes1 Did I say that?

Oh yay an update. Another great one at that! Everything looks so beautiful. You have a lot of great pictures. Maybe I should consider Hawaii for our honeymoon.

Oh yay an update. Another great one at that! Everything looks so beautiful. You have a lot of great pictures. Maybe I should consider Hawaii for our honeymoon.
Thank you so much, I love taking pictures and sometimes go a little crazy. Its a good thing I'm only sharing highlights on here ;) Honeymoon is definitely a great honeymoon spot. We love doing a lot of stuff and had plenty to do while people who just want to lay back at the beach have that option too!

That pie looks wonderful!

Your TR is really making me want to go to HI. DH and I have been talking about how to use some of our DVC points, and we know we want to do HI at some point, we just have to figure out when. :goodvibes:

I would have been irritated about the pineapples too ;) . Then I would have gloated when I got my way in the end :rolleyes1 Did I say that?
:rotfl: My lips are sealed. It wasn't a serious fight or anything, but Kris knows that when I have my mind made up he better just let me get my way :laughing:

It will be so exciting for the Hawaii resort to open through DVC. Do you know when its officially scheduled to open? I think you will both really enjoy it. After going on your cruise it will be a refreshing change. Kris has never been to the Caribbean and I told him that there is definitely a different atmosphere when you're still on US soil.

OMG vanessa you have me drooling right now!!!
I had to go grab a cadbury caramello to stop from drooling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carmello, now that sounds really yummy right now! The pie was out of this world, I wonder if I could find a recipe somewhere that is close to it.

Kris knows that when I have my mind made up he better just let me get my way :laughing:

It will be so exciting for the Hawaii resort to open through DVC. Do you know when its officially scheduled to open? I think you will both really enjoy it. After going on your cruise it will be a refreshing change. Kris has never been to the Caribbean and I told him that there is definitely a different atmosphere when you're still on US soil.

:laughing:
I think the DVC is supposed to open in 2011 or 2012. We can use our points to trade into other resorts though and we might do that if we can find availibility. I have a feeling the DVC will be booked solid for a while :cutie:

Oh I am loving your Honeymoon TR so far! The dole plantation looks great, thats too funny about the pineapples... sounds like something my DF would say to me lol, must be a guy thing!
The food you ate looks so yummy, that pie is making me very hungry:goodvibes

I turn my back for two seconds and you put up another awesome installment! I'm glad its coming slower now though because I really really don't want it to end...:sad1:
On a brighter note: My Mom and I rescheduled our trip to Disney for the second full week in May...and my Mom is pondering upgrading our room to the GRAND!!! Woohoo!!! :banana: I'll let ya know how that one turns out...but until then I will be looking forward to seeing more of your honeymoon!

Anna Marie

Wow Vanessa and Kris, looks like you had a fabulous trip! :cool1: I know what you mean about the poverty on the Islands; I was in Hawaii in 2004 and was kind of shocked at the derelict areas near Waikiki Beach.

Isn't that climb up Diamond Head torture, but sooooo worth it? My friend and I were dumb and did NOT take water for the climb...needless to say, I spent a couple hours in bed when we got back with what was probably heat exhaustion! My own fault though! :rotfl:

How did you find that Hawaiian plate lunch? My friend is very...picky (to put it mildly!) so we never tried any of them. Yours looked soooo good though. Would you say that the roadside stands were reliable in general? I'm gathering info in case I make it back to Hawaii again someday (which is possible, seeing as my friend works for an airline, but difficult due to where in Canada I live and finances!). :)

:banana: :dance3: :yay: :woohoo: :cool1:
I finally got my laptop back today after having it out for repairs for 2 weeks! I don't have to fight Kris for his computer anymore.

Oh I am loving your Honeymoon TR so far! The dole plantation looks great, thats too funny about the pineapples... sounds like something my DF would say to me lol, must be a guy thing!
The food you ate looks so yummy, that pie is making me very hungry:goodvibes
Sorry I missed your note, I was always trying to catch up on everyone else's PJ and TRs when I could steal away the computer and missed out on mine. The food was delicious and I wish I could find that type of pie somewhere on the mainland~ lol. The pineapple thing was pretty funny. Kris ended up eating some of them, so he must not have minded me carrying them after all :rotfl:

I turn my back for two seconds and you put up another awesome installment! I'm glad its coming slower now though because I really really don't want it to end...:sad1:
On a brighter note: My Mom and I rescheduled our trip to Disney for the second full week in May...and my Mom is pondering upgrading our room to the GRAND!!! Woohoo!!! :banana: I'll let ya know how that one turns out...but until then I will be looking forward to seeing more of your honeymoon!

Anna Marie
Definitely stayed tuned, I'm going to do my Pearl Harbor installment over the next couple of days. I am going to upload the pictures to Photobucket tonight. I can't believe its taking me this long to get it done, but I'm determined to finish and to show some pictures from our Michigan reception too.

I'm jealous, we used to always go in May. I love the Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot. They also have free concerts in the American Garden theater outside the AAR. They are 60's and 70's groups, but the shows have always been pretty good :dance3:

An upgrade to the Grand, how exciting! It was so cool just to stay there for 2 nights, I can't imagine an entire vacation :woohoo: Definitely let me know what you two end up doing!
Wow Vanessa and Kris, looks like you had a fabulous trip! :cool1: I know what you mean about the poverty on the Islands; I was in Hawaii in 2004 and was kind of shocked at the derelict areas near Waikiki Beach.

Isn't that climb up Diamond Head torture, but sooooo worth it? My friend and I were dumb and did NOT take water for the climb...needless to say, I spent a couple hours in bed when we got back with what was probably heat exhaustion! My own fault though! :rotfl:

How did you find that Hawaiian plate lunch? My friend is very...picky (to put it mildly!) so we never tried any of them. Yours looked soooo good though. Would you say that the roadside stands were reliable in general? I'm gathering info in case I make it back to Hawaii again someday (which is possible, seeing as my friend works for an airline, but difficult due to where in Canada I live and finances!). :)
I really was shocked about the areas around Waikiki. I have seen some reality shows that depict that area, but never realized how bad it really was there.

We didn't have any water either, but decided once we saw the faces of people that had just finished the climb to buy one from the vendor van sitting in the parking lot and I'm so glad we did or we probably would have been sick too. We only had one, so we rationed it between the two of us. I can't imagine not having anything that definitely must have been tiring.

The only stand that we ened up eating at was the Ted's Bakery that I showed in my last post. We went there on the suggestion that I found in the Frommer's Oahu edition. I'm not sure about some of the other stands. I would think that they should generally be pretty good. I know when we were in Jamaica (not exactly the same thing I know :goodvibes ) we got a lot of fresh fruit and seafood from them and it was fantastic!

Hopefully you get to go back soon. I know we said we would love to go back again. I think it would be fun with a group of friends. Plus, Disney is building a DVC resort there too!

Hi Vanessa :goodvibes I finally had a chance to follow you over here from my Pre-TR....actually, I came over a few days ago but spent all this time reading through your wedding :rotfl: I decided to wait and reply when I got all caught up :)

First....your wedding was absolutely incredible!! It looked just like a fairytale...absolutely perfect in every way!!!

Your honeymoon in Hawaii looks like so much fun!! I love all your flower pictures...I am addicted to taking tons of pictures of nature too! What type of camera do you use? Your pictures are really pretty!!

Can't wait to read more updates...especially about Pearl Harbor.

I was really looking forward to this day because we were going to Pearl Harbor. Kris and I love visiting historical sites and this was a place that I had always wanted to go to at some point in life. This was also our last day in Oahu before we flew to Maui for the remainder of our trip. We got our rental car out of the insanely expensive hotel valet service at a relatively early hour shortly before 9 a.m. and headed to breakfast at a hole in the wall placed called “Eggs and Things.” I came across it in one of my books and even though it was on the outskirts of Waikiki it was well worth it and was one of our better meals in Oahu.
Hawaii417.jpg

We had to park in a residential area and walk a few blocks over, but we saw a police car along the way and figured our car was safe. When we arrived there was a really long wait since the restaurant area is pretty small. I read that if you asked for a counter seat you could get seated quicker, so we opted to go this route and still ended up waiting about 30 minutes but was much less than the hour we had expected from what I had read. You have to wait outside for a seat.
Hawaii418.jpg

Inside the little restaurant:
Hawaii420.jpg

Hawaii422.jpg

Hawaii421.jpg

The food was fantastic here. I ordered pineapple pancakes with pineapple syrup. It was a little overkill on the pineapple, but still so yummy. I will remember next time to just get regular syrup. I don’t even remember what Kris had because I was concentrating on my food.
Hawaii419.jpg

We sat next to a nice man who is a pilot that is in Hawaii a lot. He says that his family lived there for a short time, but the costs were so outrageous and the schools horrible so they moved back to the mainland. He said he loves that restaurant and tries to visit on most of his extended trips.

After our meal we cleared out right away and were on our way to downtown Honolulu. Seriously, I couldn’t believe how small this place was in relation to each other. I know it’s an island, but you don’t really truly understand its size until you’re there. To get to Pearl Harbor you get off the freeway in a kind of sketchy part of town and all the tour books say not to leave anything in your car including in the trunk! This made me a little nervous and since you can’t take bags on the ferries over to the memorial we decided to pay for the bag holding service that is ran by volunteers.
Hawaii423.jpg

Basically, you go into the welcome center and then sign up for the ferry that takes you out to the memorial. This is inside (or I guess you’re still outside since its open air) the center.
Hawaii424.jpg

Right inside is this huge mural and they have the bell from the USS Arizona.
Hawaii425.jpg

Hawaii426.jpg

There is a video that you watch before going over on the ferry. The memorial is free, but you can pay $5 for the audio tour that goes along on the boat ride and memorial. This is definitely worth the little extra cost; we both did it and really enjoyed the added effect. Since you can’t speak when you’re at the memorial it’s a good way to get a sense of the scene. They also have interviews of actual survivors which makes the experience all the more surreal. We only had a short wait before it was our turn to watch the film, so we had a bathroom break then started the audio tour.

After we were called into the theater and watched the film we headed out to the docks where we were taken across to the memorial. Both of my grandfathers fought in World War II, so it was emotional to think that this is where it all began for our country. We also have a cousin on my mom’s side that died at Pearl Harbor, but my mom didn’t know the name off hand, so I couldn’t look them up on the memorial.
Hawaii429.jpg

Arriving at the memorial:
Hawaii433.jpg

Hawaii437.jpg

Hawaii436.jpg

Looking back at Honolulu:
Hawaii432.jpg

They also have these large cement blocks which show where all the other ships were that were docked in the Harbor.
Hawaii434.jpg

Hawaii435.jpg

There are ships across the bay that are docked.
Hawaii431.jpg

Hawaii446.jpg

As you enter the memorial this is how it looks:
Hawaii438.jpg

Hawaii480.jpg

Straight to the back wall all the way in the other room is a wall which lists all the victims of that day. Its amazing to see all the names that are on there. It really is moving to see how many people actually died. The wall is really tall probably at least 20 feet tall.
Hawaii449.jpg

Hawaii450.jpg

Hawaii454.jpg

Hawaii452.jpg

Looking up through the memorial:
Hawaii463.jpg

It is kind of eerie since they ask you to be quiet out of respect for those that lost their lives. Since we had our audio tour that was still going, but it was so strange to be surrounded by all these strangers who weren’t saying anything. There are parts of the Arizona on both sides of the memorial plus there are some areas in the center where you can look down into the water.
Hawaii439.jpg

Hawaii440.jpg

Hawaii474.jpg

Hawaii441.jpg

Hawaii476.jpg

This was the direction that the Japanese would have flown in from during the attack over the mountains:
Hawaii461.jpg

Plus, there is still oil that is leaking today. There are only a few quarts a day, but you can still see it on the surface of the water in a few places.
Hawaii443.jpg

We were only there a short time before it was time for us to head back to the visitors center. Once we got back we went to check out the museum. It was so interesting some of the items that were in there. One thing that I didn’t know was that the federal government didn’t provide the funding for the memorial. Most of the money was raised through fundraisers and finally the last amount was allocated by Congress. Here is a brochure of a fundraising concert that Elvis did for the memorial.
Hawaii506.jpg

There was a music competition scheduled between the men on the different ships that was supposed to be held on December 7. They gave the trophy in honor of the band from the USS Arizona.
Hawaii501.jpg

Here is the size of the torpedoes that were also launched at our ships:
Hawaii500.jpg

There were also personal effects with stories about individuals who had served on the Arizona at different times during its history.
Hawaii490.jpg

After visiting the museum we went to the back which overlooked the water.
Hawaii515.jpg

Hawaii512.jpg

Hawaii507.jpg

The anchor from the Arizona which is outside the visitor’s center.
Hawaii517.jpg

Hawaii518.jpg

Finally, it was time to leave. They are supposed to be building a new museum and visitors center by 2010. It will be exciting to see what they build. Adjacent to the center there is the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum. I would have loved to have had time to visit here too, but our time was running short and we still wanted to make it into downtown Honolulu.
After piling into the car we decided to head over to the swap meet at the Aloha Stadium. It was massive and circled around the entire stadium. It is only certain days of the week and vendors from all over come to sell their goods.
Hawaii521.jpg

We didn’t have a ton of things that we were shopping for that day, so we just spent time walking around enjoying the sites. I did buy one purse though; I have a total purse obsession and own at least 75 of them.
Hawaii519.jpg

Hawaii522.jpg

Up next the only royal palace on US soil and our sunset cruise that was supposed to be a romantic end to our stay on Oahu.

Hi Vanessa :goodvibes I finally had a chance to follow you over here from my Pre-TR....actually, I came over a few days ago but spent all this time reading through your wedding :rotfl: I decided to wait and reply when I got all caught up :)

First....your wedding was absolutely incredible!! It looked just like a fairytale...absolutely perfect in every way!!!

Your honeymoon in Hawaii looks like so much fun!! I love all your flower pictures...I am addicted to taking tons of pictures of nature too! What type of camera do you use? Your pictures are really pretty!!

Can't wait to read more updates...especially about Pearl Harbor.

Thank you so much, I'm so glad that you have enjoyed it so far. I was so happy with how the wedding came out, DFTW really did an amazing job and I wouldn't change a thing.

My camera is a Canon Power Shot. This year we just bought an updated version of our old camera and here is the new one. Its the same thing just the newer model. I loved my camera; I had it for over 5 years and took thousands of pictures. It isn't pocket size, but it takes awesome pictures and I love the swing around screen so you can take shots of yourself.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=17630

I hope you enjoy my latest installment too :goodvibes I'm looking forward to reading your full TR when you go later this year!

Vanessa,
Just looking at the pictures of the memorial made me so sad. My Daddy is a retired navy man and my uncle died at Pearl Harbor. So sad...I know I would have been balling.
On a lighter note...that swap meet looked like a blast! I love love love going to flea markets and farmers markets and things and that looked right up my alley! Yummo on the food choice by the way...those pancakes looked to good. I can't wait to see more! :surfweb:

Anna Marie

Oh Vanessa how beautiful those pictures from the U.S.S Arizona Memorial. We were scheduled to take a tour bus there and my husband had gotten sick two days before and he just wasn't up to going far from the hotel. We actually never rented a car there just in Maui. Looks like you found some cool sites on your own.

Oh wow Vanessa, those pics are so amazing. What a great experience for you to have, especially since you have a personal connection to everything. That is pretty amazing that the USS Arizona still leaks oil into the Harbour, if you hadn't put up that pic I may not have believed it, after all this time too. Crazy!

Oh and your pineapple pancakes are making me drool right now... I think I may have to have DF experiment with how to make those lol!

That looks like a great experience. It sounds like it would be really moving to be there. I think that the silence around you would be a little eerie but would probably add to the experience. DH and I like doing things like this as well so it will probably be a stop for us whenever we make it to HI.

"supposed to be romantic" sounds a little foreboding...Can't wait to read more!

Wow Pearl Harbor looks like an amazing place to visit. I am also very interested in historical locations so that is one that is on my list of places to visit.

Loved your newest update! Pearl Harbor is one of the places on my "must visit" list, so it was awesome to see your pictures.

Oh and thanks for the info about your camera :goodvibes

Wow ladies, it was nice to see all of your responses after sitting in an all day workshop about teaching online :surfweb: I have a quick break before I teach tonight, so I was glad to have a few minutes to get on the Dis!

Vanessa,
Just looking at the pictures of the memorial made me so sad. My Daddy is a retired navy man and my uncle died at Pearl Harbor. So sad...I know I would have been balling.
On a lighter note...that swap meet looked like a blast! I love love love going to flea markets and farmers markets and things and that looked right up my alley! Yummo on the food choice by the way...those pancakes looked to good. I can't wait to see more! :surfweb:

Anna Marie
Wow, I would have been balling too under those connections. It is a very emotional place. The swap meet was unbelievable. I heard it was the best place to buy souvenirs and they weren't kidding. There was every kind of Hawaiian thing imaginable (even if they were made in Taiwan :rotfl:)

Oh Vanessa how beautiful those pictures from the U.S.S Arizona Memorial. We were scheduled to take a tour bus there and my husband had gotten sick two days before and he just wasn't up to going far from the hotel. We actually never rented a car there just in Maui. Looks like you found some cool sites on your own.
The one nice thing in Oahu is that you can definitely get around with all the tour buses, etc. I'm sorry you missed Pearl Harbor, but just one more reason to have an excuse to return. We only had the car for the two days since the parking fees were outrageous. I couldn't believe how much those hotels charge on Oahu :eek:

Oh wow Vanessa, those pics are so amazing. What a great experience for you to have, especially since you have a personal connection to everything. That is pretty amazing that the USS Arizona still leaks oil into the Harbour, if you hadn't put up that pic I may not have believed it, after all this time too. Crazy!

Oh and your pineapple pancakes are making me drool right now... I think I may have to have DF experiment with how to make those lol!
I never would have believed about the oil either. Its amazing how things like that continue to have an impact today.

The pancakes were amazing; is it sad to say that was one of our best meals in Hawaii?

That looks like a great experience. It sounds like it would be really moving to be there. I think that the silence around you would be a little eerie but would probably add to the experience. DH and I like doing things like this as well so it will probably be a stop for us whenever we make it to HI.

"supposed to be romantic" sounds a little foreboding...Can't wait to read more!
I highly recommend it when you make it to HI; it will be so cool for DVC to open there. There really are so many interesting things to do on Oahu.

Believe me the cruise was definitely not what we expected. Don't worry there were no injuries or anything like that, but we were not happy with our experience.

Wow Pearl Harbor looks like an amazing place to visit. I am also very interested in historical locations so that is one that is on my list of places to visit.
Toni~ it reminded me of when we got to visit places like Gettysburg or Ellis Island. You can just sense the significance of the site and the history that played out there.

Loved your newest update! Pearl Harbor is one of the places on my "must visit" list, so it was awesome to see your pictures.

Oh and thanks for the info about your camera :goodvibes
I definitely agree that it should be on a "must visit" list. Have you ever been to Hawaii before? If not, you're lucky as DVC to get the chance soon :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter