VB Adoration & Information Thread (Plus 2007 Chair Swap)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is there to do in the surrounding area?

Another place to check out.....my kids enjoyed a few hours here---especially with Pirates of the Caribbean being so popular :
Mc Clarty Treasure Museum
13180 Highway A1a
Vero Beach, FL 32963

(772) 589-2147

It's maybe 15 minutes from the Vero Beach resort. Here's some more info :
http://www.atocha1622.com/mclarty.htm

Another eating option without driving...

Orchid Island Pizzeria right next to DVBR on the corner of A1A and 510. They serve a thin crust style pizzia with choice of lots of toppings, pasta dinners, and hot and cold subs. They will also deliver to the lobby of the resort. 772-388-5151

We ordered a pizzia one night and had a picnic on the beach!

What an awesome idea... Thanks....

I'm totally counting on you for the "things to do in surrounding areas" and "average temperature" questions!

You know me... my pleasure... As DVCconvert mentioned the McKee botanical gardens is a very cool place to visit. DW and I really love the exotic plants and wonderful gardens at McKee. They have some really HUGE and COOL ficus trees.

We also love to go north to the Pellican Island wildlife refuge and Merritt Island wildlife refuge. We actually came upon a Florida Panther a couple of years ago within the Merritt reserve and got a couple of photos... I will try to find that pic and post it.

In My earlier question about the jungle trail... Bobbi got it mostly right.... The trail actually runs for eight miles to Pelican Island Wildlife Refuge. I don't know if it goes any further, but the reserve is just 5 minutes away by car. Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge and their wildlife education center are must do's. Just a few minutes further up the road is Sebastian Inlet State Park where the Indian River meets the ocean. There are many good fishing spots around the inlet, and there are river excursions where you can see dolphins, manatee, and tons of other types of wildlife. If you are interested in taking surfboard lessons, you can get them here.... About an hour north is Port Canaveral, (where the Magic and Wonder dock), even if you are not taking a cruise it it is cool to see those boats. Also about an hour north is the Kennedy Space Center visitor complex, and Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge with walking and driving tours. 30 minutes south in Fort Piece is the Manatee Observation and Education Center.

If you love wildlife... you're going to love VB.

Temps... this one is easy.....

Average Temps
Temps.jpg

Thanks Starbox for getting this thread going!

I've updated the FAQ with everyone's great information! Thanks!!!!

Rob - could you send me the actual links to your list of "things to do" - when I tried to copy via. cut and paste the hyperlinks were not intact. :sad1:

So - does anyone have info about holidays? Easter, New Years, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas?

Also, anyone want to share sea turtle expereinces? I know there's a lottery of some sort?? We just lucked out by happening upon a couple with night vision goggles and got to see one that way, but I know there is a planned activity.

Thanks again!!!!!! :grouphug:

I'll answer the ones I know!

I have some questions--maybe you could add them to the FAQ? We are staying for the first time in July.

How often is the campfire?
Mondays, wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays
How often is stargazing?
What time of year do the turtles lay eggs?
How long is the poolside counter service place open each day?
11:00-5:00pm with pizza and ice cream until 8:00
How is the sunday brunch?
Do you need reservations at Shutters?
They are recomended, but we did not find them necessary
Just how buggy is it in july???
Very buggy. Bring insect repellant.
Where's the closest Super Target/walmart for buying groceries, umbrellas and chairs? Is there one on the way down the turnpike??
When is checkin/checkout? Are rooms ever ready early?
I believe rooms are guarnutted ready by 3:00, you can check-in and use the facilities as early as you like. We've had rooms ready early.
Is there someplace to get an ice cream at night?
There is a gift shop with ice cream and ice cream is availiable poolside until 8:00

We can't wait to try VB. We are staying at OKW and VB this trip to get the full Florida experience!

Jenny

What a great thread!!! We are staying in a 1 bedroom for 3 nights in June and I can't wait! :banana: Thanks for all the great info!

What a great thread!!! We are staying in a 1 bedroom for 3 nights in June and I can't wait! :banana: Thanks for all the great info!

We'll be in there in June as well. I got lucky with some major pixie dust yesterday :wizard:, because I called to see if I could waitlist for one additional day in the OVIR and there was one unit that had come available. Woo-Hoooo. So now we get an extra day! :cool1: :cool1: I am more excited about the VB part of the trip than the Disney part!

Starbox when in June will you be at VB? We will be there June 24-27. I think I am looking forward to this part of our trip more than the Disney part too beacuse our first week in Orland we are staying at our Marriott timeshare with some friends that haven't been to Disney other than Epcot before and we will be playing "tour guides" and hitting the 4 Disney parks, Sea World and the Kennedy Space Center all in that week so they can see as much as possible before they start their drive home. I am so glad we have a week of "down time" to just enjoy VB and BCV after that first hectic but fun week!

Starbox when in June will you be at VB? We will be there June 24-27. I think I am looking forward to this part of our trip more than the Disney part too beacuse our first week in Orland we are staying at our Marriott timeshare with some friends that haven't been to Disney other than Epcot before and we will be playing "tour guides" and hitting the 4 Disney parks, Sea World and the Kennedy Space Center all in that week so they can see as much as possible before they start their drive home. I am so glad we have a week of "down time" to just enjoy VB and BCV after that first hectic but fun week!

We'll be there the second week of June. :goodvibes
As much as I love WDW, I always end up feeling like I need a vacation to recover from my vacation after a week at Disney, so VB the second part of the trip should be a great strategy. I think you'll :love: doing it that way!
How fun for you to get to experience Disney with some first-timers!

Great thread!! I just love VB! We added on there just so we could stay in a beach cottage. I have one booked for 4 nights in October for our 10th anniversary. I am so excited!!

Definately go to Walmart and buy umbrellas and chairs. We spent $30 and we got 2 chairs, a large umbrella and buckets and shovels for the kids. However, if you go in offseason (like October) there are not very many chairs and umbrellas around. We were able to find them at Walgreens, but they were not as good as the ones we had gotten at Walmart in May.

Holidays.

4th of July is pretty cool. For a while, there were fireworks in Orchid just North of the resort. They were fantastic. There are also fireworks in Sebastian which you can watch from A1A.

The resort always does something for most holidays. We really enjoy Halloween at the resort. They have costume contests, pumpkin carving contests, trick or treating, etc.

McKee Botanical Gardens is really nice. We just went there for the first time to see their Dinosaur exhibit.

We've seen a couple of sea turtle rescues at the resort. There was a huge turtle that came ashore 2 years ago. It had garbage stuck in it's mouth and was sick. Some people from Animal Kingdom rescued it and it turned out very well. It was HUGE and really something to see.

They are working on part of the mini golf course right now. Hole 8, I think.

I think the pool was closed in January but I don't think it looks any different. Can anyone confirm if it actually did close?

Great thread!! I just love VB! We added on there just so we could stay in a beach cottage. I have one booked for 4 nights in October for our 10th anniversary. I am so excited!!

Definately go to Walmart and buy umbrellas and chairs. We spent $30 and we got 2 chairs, a large umbrella and buckets and shovels for the kids. However, if you go in offseason (like October) there are not very many chairs and umbrellas around. We were able to find them at Walgreens, but they were not as good as the ones we had gotten at Walmart in May.

Maybe there can be a "beach set" thread like the Christmas tree and refrigerator threads. A large stroller bag would easily fit a couple of chairs, beach umbrella and sand toys, and make transfers easy. I'd gladly contribute in exchange for the stuff - heck, if I were going to be there after you I'd just offer to buy it from you - it'd save me a stop at Wal-Mart!

Love this thread!!!

We are planning a trip to VB for the first time at the end of May '08 for probably 3 nights, then we'll go to SSR for the first time for 8 nights!!! This will be our first trip home and I'm so excited. I love all the planning and researching!!!

Is it a busy time at the end of May?
And how will the weather be?

Thanks to All!!!

:yay: Ok, I have a question .... dh actually has a question .... this year we were looking for something different to do besides Disney so I threw the VB option out, but he thinks that it will be too much like Disney .... so the question is ~ when you go to VB do you feel like you are at a Disney resort only not at Disney?

We'll be there the same day! We're only staying from Sunday to Wednesday-then we're heading for SSR and some Disney time.

Are you going to brunch at Sonya's on Sunday?
I never gave it any thought. We probably won't arrive in time. We are arriving in MCO at 11ish, then we need to get the luggage, car, and drive to VB.

We are staying until Thursday, then heading to VWL.
Perhaps we can meet for a beverage of choice in The Green Cabin Room... :drinking:

MG

Congratulations on your anniversary:love: !

Bobbi:goodvibes

Holidays.

4th of July is pretty cool. For a while, there were fireworks in Orchid just North of the resort. They were fantastic. There are also fireworks in Sebastian which you can watch from A1A.

The resort always does something for most holidays. We really enjoy Halloween at the resort. They have costume contests, pumpkin carving contests, trick or treating, etc.

Thanks FloridaFam, I'll update the FAQ!

Maybe there can be a "beach set" thread like the Christmas tree and refrigerator threads. A large stroller bag would easily fit a couple of chairs, beach umbrella and sand toys, and make transfers easy. I'd gladly contribute in exchange for the stuff - heck, if I were going to be there after you I'd just offer to buy it from you - it'd save me a stop at Wal-Mart!

Great idea. I know we'll probably purchase a body board, small chairs, and sand bucket stuff once we get down there, and it will notbe riding in the car home with me.

I'll add a travel dates for beach/swap to the FAQ. If you want to join, please post of PM me your dates. Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter