• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vegas and Grand Canyon Q's

Tikitoi

DIS Veteran
Our trip is less than 2 weeks away. We are staying at the Luxor, in the Pyramid portion. Was just wondering how many levels in this hotel if anyone knows? Only because we like to stay at the highest. Also, what exactly is an IMAX Theatre? :confused3 How different from a regular movie theater? If it is. And do they have the movies that would be out now? Yeah, I'm laughing at myself as I'm typing these Q's, too, but I just need to know. :rotfl: And as far as the GC, we are doing one of those 15 hour bus rides out there. They say we will be there for 3.5 hours. So what do we do after getting a few pictures? We have never been here and only wanted a glimpse of things, I geuss. Been enjoying reading the other threads on here. :surfweb: Thanks for any info. :cutie:

Well, I went on the Luxor website, and although there was a link to the IMAX, there was no information, no schedule, nothing. very odd. I googled it, and found a site that said the Luxor Imax is closed effective April 2008. hmmm, maybe they would've done alright had they shown some first run movies!

About IMAX, here's my amateur, non-researched answer. Great big, massive wide screen, useful for 3D movies, surround sound. I've taken my kids to see special versions of Polar Express and Harry Potter that had 3D effects; a couple of our area's local museums each have one.

re: Luxor, I've stayed there (never used their Imax though), in the pyramid, very cool. I read that there are (at least) 30 floors; you can see down into the pyramid from as high as the 27th floor landing. The elevators are funky - "inclinators".

When I stayed there I recall playing a dime video poker machine that I kept winning $50 pots on - fun! last time I was there, I couldn't find that machine anymore. :sad2:

I don't like to play the table games at the Luxor (I play blackjack); the minimum (last time I was there - 4/07) was $10 a hand. I play across the street at the Tropicana for $5/hand (hotel is run down, but the table crowds are friendly and fun, usually Californians in town for a couple of days).

Enjoy your trip!:thumbsup2

Thanks so much for that information on the Luxor. I am very disappointed about the IMAX Theater, though. Especially since we LOVE movies. :confused3 But I am still hoping that April 2008 may mean later in the month, since we are going next week. :goodvibes Anyone have info on how to spend our 4 hours wisely at the Grand Canyon? Thanks again. :goodvibes

The high rooms at the Luxor are the suites. They are very nice with a sitting room and a jacuzzi tub right in the window. My husband loved sitting in the tub at night. We were able to upgrade for reasonable price at the hotel.

The bus tours give you time to take a short hike, peruse the gift shop and get a bite to eat if you like. It sounds like you might have prefered the helicopter tour. I always thought that would be a fun way to see the GC.

The Imax is a large screen movie, I can't remember if that's also where they had the 4d movies too. I know they had the virtual rides and other stuff that made my husband nausous(sp).

It was handy having the tram that would take you to the Mandalay or Excalibur. It saved my feet some walking and is easy to cross the ped bridge to NYNY and the to MGM if you liked.

I enjoyed the Luxor a lot but that was before it started this rehab where they are no longer Egyptian themed. Umm, ok, what's the pyramid for then?!

I'm not a big gambler so only played nickel slots but had lots of fun with the Frog Prince game. I've been to all the Cirque du Soleil shows and they are great entertainment.

There are also ticket places that sell tickets for half price, but not all the tickets are half price so know what you're looking for. It can make it cheaper to see some shows though. My Mom bought tickets for Phantom, Follies and some singer and she made out like a bandit price wise!!

Have a great trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter