• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VGC resale vs VDL direct…..what’s your opinion?

DisDad-

Mouseketeer
So I have all of my contracts under one use year and after a very long wait of stalking resale contracts, I finally came across what seems to be a rare April use year 100 point Grand Cal contract with no 2022 points but all 100 points for 2023 and beyond.
Got it for 235 pp but now second guessing the decision.
My daughter and I just stayed at grand cal villas last month and loved the convenience of the location as well as the resort itself, but i can’t help but think that VDH might be a better option since it’s a new resort, the direct price point will likely be slightly lower, direct points can be used anywhere, and the contract expires in 50 years versus 36.
We’re from Massachusetts and visit Disneyland every 3rd week of April for food and wine for 5 days and only stay in studios.
Any opinions would be appreciated.

They are very different and a lot comes down to personal room preference.

I personally think that VGC is absolutely worth the $1800/ 8% premium ($217 vs $235) over VDH and that a small VGC contract in your use year at that price was a fabulous find.

However, VDH will have a lot more studio availability. Although, that shouldn’t be an issue according to historical VGC availability charts if you book before 9-months.

I would also point out that if you are going out for Food and Wine that it’s impossible to beat the two park entrances from VGC to DCA.

Additionally, I think VGC points will be easier to sell if needed in the future and will retain more of their value because of access to every resort currently in the system except RIV and VDH. Most believe that VDH resale will be restricted to only VDH.

Finally, VGC will get a refresh soon and my guess is that it is going to be much higher end than the VDH tower if that type of thing matters to you.

Just an aside, the title of your thread says VGF, not VGC.

I put aside cash for VDH but when the building was announced, I purchased more VGC resale. There were two major reasons.

1. No balconies for studios (we later learned that there's only 8 that either have a balcony or patio in the Garden wing). Balconies are important to us. Sitting in the morning with a coffee and just mindfully relaxing out there is a big component of how we use the room. The fresh air just lifts what is often a stifling hotel room.

2. The views. I don't want to look over Walnut St thank you. Nothing like smashing the Disney bubble than looking out over..... suburbia and normal life. Not all VGC rooms have stunning views but each preserve the Disney bubble and many rooms have some impressive views.

I was also conscious adding on that the VGC refurbishment is approaching soon and will lift the accommodation to feel brand new.

It may be worth compiling a list of your wants and consider how you use the resort at Disneyland. If you're a commando tourist, then maybe VDH will be sufficient? If you want to take time out of the parks to unwind, maybe VGC will meet your needs. I would not spend too much time focusing on direct vs resale, just focus on your wants. Disney perks come and go. If you desperately need VGC can be used at existing resorts prior to Riviera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter