VGF--swimming before dawn?

DMKEDM

DIS Veteran
I'm still pretty unclear on the new rules at the DVC resort pools. I think that you're ok to swim in quiet pools (those w/out lifeguards) any time of day or night?

Assuming that's correct, is there such a pool at the Grand Floridian? Or at the Poly?

We're going 2/2-2/7 and I'm an early morning (as in 5 or 5:30 to 6 or 6:30) for-exercise swimmer...got tossed out of pools over at SSR at those hours when I was there in November (after the second "eviction," the CM told me I could swim in the quiet pool over by Congress Park--that's where I got the idea that it's permitted in quiet pools--the first time the CM told me only that I had to get out of the pool so they could clean it--never did get a clear statement as to what's permitted and what isn't)...

Would love to know where (if?) I can swim at VGF?

Thanks!

I'm still pretty unclear on the new rules at the DVC resort pools. I think that you're ok to swim in quiet pools (those w/out lifeguards) any time of day or night?

Assuming that's correct, is there such a pool at the Grand Floridian? Or at the Poly?

We're going 2/2-2/7 and I'm an early morning (as in 5 or 5:30 to 6 or 6:30) for-exercise swimmer...got tossed out of pools over at SSR at those hours when I was there in November (after the second "eviction," the CM told me I could swim in the quiet pool over by Congress Park--that's where I got the idea that it's permitted in quiet pools--the first time the CM told me only that I had to get out of the pool so they could clean it--never did get a clear statement as to what's permitted and what isn't)...

Would love to know where (if?) I can swim at VGF?

Thanks!

For now, any themed pool with a lifeguard is closed at 11PM and reopens at 7AM.

Not sure if this is true anymore, as I see they have even put a fence around the pool at GF, but I thought that pool without the slide was a 24 hour pool. As I said this may have changed.:confused3

GF has 2 pools and both are themed, staffed with life guards and close at 11PM. (or maybe not - I didn't see lifeguard chairs in the photo for the courtyard pool so maybe I imagined lifeguards when I walked past a couple of weeks ago. The pool by the villas definitely closes though).

AFAIK the Poly does have a non-feature pool that you might still be able to do an early swim in.

I'd love to see some pictures of these pools to see the feasibility of doing some exercise/swimming. Can anyone direct me?

I just noticed while looking up the picture for the courtyard pool that I don't see any lifeguard chairs. It's been several years since I used that pool and I had thought they had lifeguards but maybe not?

I'd love to see some pictures of these pools to see the feasibility of doing some exercise/swimming. Can anyone direct me?

Here's a picture of the smaller pool that is by the Villas:

p771320190-4.jpg

And from allears the Courtyard pool:

gf10a17.jpg

Not sure if the PP's reference to a PM was for me (the OP)...but if so, I didn't get it...

Thanks to the person who referred me to allears...I found exactly the info I need there;

"What are the pools like?

There are two pools at the Grand Floridian. The original, larger of the two pools is called the Courtyard Pool and it is open 24/7, weather permitting. There are NO LIFEGUARDS at this pool. It is a large pool of about 300,000 gallons located directly behind the main building.

The other "'themed pool" is the Beach Pool (maximum depth 4 feet) which includes a rock waterfall and waterslide. It is located on the south end of the main building. The Beach Pool also has zero-depth entry access, which means there is no step down into the pool -- you can just wade right in or wheel a wheelchair right into the water. There are lifeguards are on duty at this pool. The Beach Pool is open 7 a.m. to midnight for the summer (lifeguard and slide from 10am-8pm). After Labor Day, the hours are 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. There is a path to the tennis courts, the Spa & Health Club, the Wedding Pavilion and the Polynesian Resort next to the pool deck entrance. In addition, there is pool bar nearby that is open 10 a.m. to 8 p.m
."

Thanks so much!

One of the issues here is the rules vs. the enforcement of the rules. Every resort pool and spa, whether a lifeguard protected theme pool or a quiet pool, has a sign with posted rules. All of these signs have hours of operation on them.

In the past, however, Disney never actively enforced the hours. So long as the guests using the pools weren't making a disturbance, it wasn't ever an issue. Most of us have long-enjoyed the ability to visit the pools late at night after a long park day, or very early in the morning. I've even been in pools very early while they were being cleaned, without it being an issue.

Now, with fences going up around many pools, it's hard to say what the enforcement will be for any pool in the future. It appears that the quiet pools are, so far, uneffected. However, your mileage may vary, and only time will tell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter