VGF vs Polynesian

Instagramhusband

Earning My Ears
We have one DVC contract at SSR and one pending there as well. I would like to buy a Monorail DVC next but I am torn between these two resorts. Most often it is my wife and I that travel to Disney and sometimes my teenage son, so deluxe studios are fine for us. I would like enough points to spend 3-4 days there a year in Jan-Feb. I feel like the dining is more expensive at VGF but the fees are lower per point annually. What other distinctions and differences would you consider?

Do you want to get the blue card and maybe try direct when the tower goes on sale? I think GF has many great dining options, and it's a short walk/monorail over to Poly for food if you prefer that. Do you have any desire for the resort studios at VGF as an option, or prefer the original deluxe studios? I read, anecdotally, that it is harder to get the OG VGF studios, so you'd probably want to own there to guarantee getting those.

I don't think either is a bad choice for a studio. They're both among the best studios out there! I'd go with your preference as just a couple, if you think your son may outgrow going with you guys. You may enjoy the fine dining and Enchanted Rose lounge at VGF. If that's not your vibe, Poly with Trader Sam's and dole whips and fireworks on the beach sounds great as a couple, too.

No bad choices here, AFAIK!

Not knowing what will happen with the tower, trading into a studio at VGF at 7 months is generally harder than trading into a studio at PVB at 7 months. So that's one argument in favor of VGF.

VGF is a much more tolerable walk to MK than PVB, but you'll get to EPCOT much faster from PVB so that's another consideration, depending on what matters to you.

Not sure how much you care, but VGF "feels" more luxurious (with the more expensive upscale dining options). But you can always take a quick boat ride to Poly if you wanted to dine there.

The dues at VGF are lower, but you'll probably pay a bit more per point upfront. But that $0.70 per point difference today can become much higher in dollar terms if dues grow at the same rate into the 2060s. sonmething to consider if you're on the fence between the two.

We own at both, and we find the VGF crowd to be stuffy, and during Christmas season it's wildly over-crowded with non-guests trying to see the Gingerbread house and Christmas Party guests clogging up the monorail since it's the last stop before MK. We often talk about how we wish we didn't own our direct points there, and we almost always try to switch our VGF bookings to Poly.

I may be biased, but I’d choose the Poly over VGF. The Poly’s longhouse studios are amazing and huge, and while I’m sure the new poly tower’s studios will be equally as nice, they most likely will not be as large. Another benefit is Poly has a surplus of studios, so they’re always easy to book.

Downside of VGF is the “resort studios” booking category, which makes up most of the studios booking category at the grand. While beautiful, they lack the split bathroom and many people complain about hearing their neighbors via the connecting door.

If you love the GF dining options, then it’s just a quick monorail ride or 10-15 minute walk (less if you’re in the new tower) over to your favorite GF restaurant!

Numbers are close enough for both that I would select based on personal preference. Some describe these two resorts as polar opposites because they have significantly different atmosphere/vibes despite being neighbors.

If one resort speaks to your vacation style preference, that's the one I would go with.

We own at both, and we find the VGF crowd to be stuffy, and during Christmas season it's wildly over-crowded with non-guests trying to see the Gingerbread house and Christmas Party guests clogging up the monorail
Yeah, but just think for a second how awesome it is you have the opportunity to clog up SSR and OKW’s many amenities!

(sorry, tangential rant carryover from the poly speculation thread 🙃)

I'd go with the Poly over the Grand (saying this as a Grand Flo owner) as there's more standard view studios to select from to help stretch out a smallish contract that it sounds like you're looking for.

We own both and my heart belongs to VGF. Hubby just woke up (we are in CA) and I asked him which resort he likes better. He’s one who generally doesn’t care where we stay. He didn’t even think and just said VGF. He likes the sunny brighter feel of the color pallet at GF vs the darker feel of Poly. LOL…. Definitely a personal preference.
Since I like everything new and shiny, I like the very high probability of booking the Poly tower soon 😇

Edited to add that for a home resort, definitely buy where you love and feel you are always glad to be home. They are so close to each other (walking distance) that dining options don’t really matter.

You've received great information and insights already. Both resorts have great theming and amenities. We own and enjoy both.

We usually stay at the POLY during July 4th week and VGF during the Christmas season. If the new Poly Tower has GVs we will buy more direct there for the 11 month booking window every July 4th week.

ETA: To clarify, since we usually use these seasonally and often at peak times, we own at both for the 11 month window.

Last edited:
Personally we're team Poly. It's just much more our vibe compared to GF.

I think the major reason though is because it's a closer walk to get to the TTC for the monorail to Epcot. I also like the dual showers in the Poly studios. MK is one of our lower priority parks whenever we go to WDW which is why we're adding a MK resort last.. I understand why people love GF and IMO GF does have better food options than Poly but the room theming just doesn't align with our taste. If we were bigger MK fans, we'd probably do VGF so it would make the walk to MK easier and leave that option open for end of the night fireworks although we rarely watch the nighttime fireworks from the parks.

I'd try them both out with your SSR points before making a decision, good luck!

Last edited:
Dues are unpredictable. OKW had the lowest dues for years. Now it’s among the highest. Unless there’s an obvious reason dues will be higher than other resorts (such as an on-site zoo) I would just set that aside.

If you haven’t stayed at both, I’d suggest you do that first. It’s a big purchase.

Are you looking at resale? Because I don't think they are selling direct VGF right now. We got some VGF points when the resort studios went on sale, and while we enjoyed our stay in the resort studio building (preferred view), I wasn't able to get a standard view studio even at 8 am at 11 months. So if you want home resort advantage, Poly might be more advantageous.

Dues are unpredictable. OKW had the lowest dues for years. Now it’s among the highest. Unless there’s an obvious reason dues will be higher than other resorts (such as an on-site zoo) I would just set that aside.

If you haven’t stayed at both, I’d suggest you do that first. It’s a big purchase.
Good advice on the dues, thanks.

Are you looking at resale? Because I don't think they are selling direct VGF right now. We got some VGF points when the resort studios went on sale, and while we enjoyed our stay in the resort studio building (preferred view), I wasn't able to get a standard view studio even at 8 am at 11 months. So if you want home resort advantage, Poly might be more advantageous.
I am looking at resale. I don't think buying direct is something I plan on doing the way things are structured now.

I wasn't able to get a standard view studio even at 8 am at 11 months. So if you want home resort advantage, Poly might be more advantageous.

This really depends on when you're looking, and it's usually not as bad as it might seem. For example, right now standard view studios are available at 11 months out for March 2025 which is Spring break season. And that's both the Deluxe and Resort studios available.

Moreover, I too have noticed that sometimes (especially the Deluxe) studios with standard view may not be available at 11 months out. But that's oftentimes due to walkers who walk unnecessarily. If you wait 1-3 days, those will subsequently become available as they are dropped.

With Poly, because it's all studios and also expensive to book, availability at 7 months out is often so good that you don't even need to have it as a home resort. Either it's just available at 7 months, or enough owners try to switch out then that it becomes available.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter