**Villains After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

Disney hates a nickel because it's not a dime. It is like them to assume that demand is endless and if they run it, guests will shell out for it... and to some extent they will I'm sure, but I'm hoping that spreading the crowds over two events a week where people have the choice of which event they prefer will make the crowds at VAH a bit more like a typical AH event since the only people who will pay the premium are those who care about the villains.

I do think at least some of the crowding issue at the other events were that plenty of people booked it because it was the only AH option and then plenty of OTHER people that would not have booked a typical AH event booked it because it was Villains. This time around there is a mechanism for splitting those people into two separate events. I do think they got a fair number of complaints by regular AH people who did not like the extra expense and crowds of the villains events - they felt like they paid more and got less (and in some respects they did if they were only there for rides and spent a lot of time in line for them.)

I'm only in the villains event because of scheduling but I won't be complaining if crowds are higher than my last AH event, because my expectations are realistic, but that doesn't mean I'm not hoping that having two events and a choice won't alleviate that crowding! I do think to charge what they do (which is more than any of the holiday parties but for fewer special things - no parade, no special fireworks, no special character M&Gs) they have to keep the crowds low - as that is the main appeal of the event - and I'm hoping that was the motivation behind adding events and not that they were hoping that all events will be packed to the gills. but I will be watching with interest, I am going February 21st so not the first first but one of the first!
Like you, I am hoping that with both versions being offered during similar time frames it will help to spread out the demand for "after-hours" at MK. Both versions are offered during our upcoming trip. We purchased tix to VAH, because that was released first. After reading the boards I debated switching to the regular version, but decided to stay the course because my kids are a little older and my DH enjoys the darker theme. I am really hoping that Disney will listen to feedback from last year and work to ensure it is an enjoyable experience. Given the price differential, I think they need to do something to make the VAH stand out from the regular version. Only time will tell if the villains stage show, etc. is enough. We've never done something like this before, so I'm trying to have reasonable expectations. It is a large chunk of change for 4 people, even with an AP/DVC discount.

Like you, I am hoping that with both versions being offered during similar time frames it will help to spread out the demand for "after-hours" at MK. Both versions are offered during our upcoming trip. We purchased tix to VAH, because that was released first. After reading the boards I debated switching to the regular version, but decided to stay the course because my kids are a little older and my DH enjoys the darker theme. I am really hoping that Disney will listen to feedback from last year and work to ensure it is an enjoyable experience. Given the price differential, I think they need to do something to make the VAH stand out from the regular version. Only time will tell if the villains stage show, etc. is enough. We've never done something like this before, so I'm trying to have reasonable expectations. It is a large chunk of change for 4 people, even with an AP/DVC discount.

it's not a huge price differential so I would not expect much more. Villains events that had villain meet and greets if I remember went for over $300pp? it was a while ago and I believe even at that price they were sold out (but it was also a dinner not a park event.) It DOES need to be at least as good as the regular event though and the main sell of that is low crowds as opposed to the holiday parties which don't promise low crowds anymore (did they ever?) but do promise tons of special events you can't see otherwise. When I did halloween or christmas parties, rides were not so much the focus but rather the special (FULL) parades and fireworks shows, and also seeing some characters we don't normally see (though my son has a hard time with lines, the only one we did was nick wilde).

I guess what I am saying in a roundabout way is that I am hoping Disney added events to alleviate crowding and not to pack 2x as many events but I guess we'll see!

I just booked this, for just me for my June trip.
I was quite excited, I have never done an After Hours event, but, now it seems like y'all think it is not great?
Oops. Still, I shall have fun nonetheless!

I just booked this, for just me for my June trip.
I was quite excited, I have never done an After Hours event, but, now it seems like y'all think it is not great?
Oops. Still, I shall have fun nonetheless!
We loved it so much last summer that we are going again next June with my extended family!!

The biggest complaint seems to be that VAH was more crowded than historical MK AH events. But hanging no other AH experience to compare it to, we thought it was amazing! We also really enjoyed the villain touches and overlays - but we are also HUGE Halloween fans, so this was MNSSHP-lite in my opinion.

I also suspect some of the “overcrowding” was due to VAH being the only MK AH event offered last summer - now that both will be happening next year, I’d guess crowds will become more manageable.
Enjoy!!

We loved it so much last summer that we are going again next June with my extended family!!

The biggest complaint seems to be that VAH was more crowded than historical MK AH events. But hanging no other AH experience to compare it to, we thought it was amazing! We also really enjoyed the villain touches and overlays - but we are also HUGE Halloween fans, so this was MNSSHP-lite in my opinion.

I also suspect some of the “overcrowding” was due to VAH being the only MK AH event offered last summer - now that both will be happening next year, I’d guess crowds will become more manageable.
Enjoy!!

Agree. People wanted it to be Disney After Hours and it proved to not be. It was still a popular Villains event as billed - it just wasn’t the lower crowd Disney After Hours that people had come to expect. I agree with those who have suggested Disney probably shouldn’t have used the “After Hours” moniker for this one as it sort of mixed concepts.

Obviously guest satisfaction (and ticket sales) was high overall for them to roll out such a long serious of new dates.

Enjoy!!
Well, that's reassuring! Thank you. I've never done MNSSHP, or any party, or after hours. I really like villains, and am finally able to stay up late enough since the kids are not coming, so... YAY!

Agree. People wanted it to be Disney After Hours and it proved to not be. It was still a popular Villains event as billed - it just wasn’t the lower crowd Disney After Hours that people had come to expect. I agree with those who have suggested Disney probably shouldn’t have used the “After Hours” moniker for this one as it sort of mixed concepts.

Obviously guest satisfaction (and ticket sales) was high overall for them to roll out such a long serious of new dates.
I see. Well, I shall go back to being super excited to do a late event at MK then, with villains no less!

Also, I can't link the ticket to my MDE? Can I just take the print out of the e mail confirmation to the front desk at my hotel to solve this? Or do I need to call in advance?

Why can’t you link it?
I just get a message saying it's not possible at this time. My suspicion is because my MDE did not reflect the +10 aspect of booking (all my booking was done over the phone, but she said this particular ticket is one I have to link myself, I assume cos it is not changeable, since all my ADRs showed up, and the marceline to magic kingdom tour showed up in MDE. I will keep trying to link this one, but, if not, I assume I can take my paper print out of the confirmation (which I have) to any ticket issuing place at WDW to get it done?

I just get a message saying it's not possible at this time. My suspicion is because my MDE did not reflect the +10 aspect of booking (all my booking was done over the phone, but she said this particular ticket is one I have to link myself, I assume cos it is not changeable, since all my ADRs showed up, and the marceline to magic kingdom tour showed up in MDE. I will keep trying to link this one, but, if not, I assume I can take my paper print out of the confirmation (which I have) to any ticket issuing place at WDW to get it done?
Yes, absolutely, though keep trying - you should be able to link it to MDE.

Are you sure you’re looking under the “Tickets” section of MDE? VAH won’t shop up under “Plans” even if you have a ticket linked in your account.

I'm still really torn on getting tickets for this. I just can't believe it's going to be worth the 465 it will cost us, yet the other part of me says YOLO!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter