Villas at Animal Kingdom Lodge

I don't see an easy place to put more wings on the building. But today's Jim Hill raises the interesting point that Disney has, in total, too many hotel rooms on property right now. His sources say that several existing on-site hotels will have sections (or entire resorts) converted to DVC. AK might have enough demand to resist this. But some of the other resorts might gain DVC accomodations within their current buildings without any new wings being built.

Cool picture, Crisi.

I could see them putting the Villas just on the other side of the pool area. There's no savannah there. It wouldn't be connected to the main building, but that's the case at VWL.

I doubt we'll see a DVC at AKL anytime soon. I suspect we'll see LBV and DVC at CR first.

I too heard the rumor that they would make one of the existing wings into DVC.

For some reason, I seem to remember someone saying that the way AKL was designed, some rooms (or wings) could be converted to DVC villas pretty easily. Not sure where these rooms are, or if it is really even a possibility.

But, I do think you'll see the Contemporary, and maybe Eagle Pines, before AKL.

rocketriter said:
But today's Jim Hill raises the interesting point that Disney has, in total, too many hotel rooms on property right now. His sources say that several existing on-site hotels will have sections (or entire resorts) converted to DVC.

please post a link for this site. :goodvibes

Our guide made it sound like SSR was developed instead of Eagle Pines... I didn't realize they were planning on creating both.

From a report on Jim Hill Media

Another way that the company intends to deal with this too-many-empty-on-property-hotel-rooms issue is by converting a number of WDW resorts into Disney Vacation Club properties. This will be done slowly over the next 10 years, which will then effectively remove these hotels from Disney World's existing resort inventory. Thereby making it easier for the company to concentrate on filling the rooms that remain.

CaliforniaDreaming said:
For some reason, I seem to remember someone saying that the way AKL was designed, some rooms (or wings) could be converted to DVC villas pretty easily. Not sure where these rooms are, or if it is really even a possibility.

The thread Hot off the rumor mill started by DiznEeyore in Aug. has a discussion about AKL DVC. Sammie had previously stated that the foundation was there for DVC as well. So two reports of this.

The following was posted on RADP in October. The poster works for WDI, and is well known and respected by other Orlando locals who also post to RADP.
That being said, read the following with your “Disney Rumor Mill Ears” on.

Frank

RADP postings 10/6/05

" In 1998, the DVC submitted plans to the WDWCompany that would allow
them rights to 'land, facilities and concessions' at each of the WDW
resorts, past and future, in order to expand the DVC business. So far,
the results have been in the form of WLV and BCV. AKL was designed with
this in mind (and if you look around you can see exactly where the AKLV
will go).
(from a later post regarding AKL DVC location:
Between the bus stop and the feature pool, as pointed out by others..
Boy, you guys are quick !!)

The rights of a DVC member with regard to WDW property usage is a very
complex issue (sometimes the decisions concerning DVC discounts suffer
because of this) and the pool usage issue is no exception. In the case
of any resort that becomes a host to a DVC property, that resort gains
the right to limit the pool usage provision to only those staying at
that resort's DVC property (although the resort loses the right to
demand that the guests staying at the DVC property be members of the
DVC and/or use points for their stay).
WLV chose not to enforce the provision and so DVC members can still
'hop on over' and use the pools (but must be staying at a DVC resort
using points).
BCV chose to enforce the provision for obvious reasons.
AKL also chose to enforce the provision because of the fear that the
guest experience would be ruined by 'inviting' all the DVC members over
to swim (they already knew that the resort would see a
larger-than-normal share of curious, non-AKL guests).
AKL could do this because the DVC had already purchased their piece of
the resort property - with full expectation of building right away -
even though the actual building and quiet pool haven't yet
materialized.
If the DVC continues to sell as well as it has so far, we'll see a DVC
Villas building at every resort by the end of phase 4 (2039) !!"

" At the GF and Poly, the odds are that the DVC would purchase an already
existing building although plans have also been filed that might have
the DVC build a new building in the GF parking lot, just across the
monorail from the main entrance and in place of the luau show building
at the Poly.
At the CR, the building would be north of the north wing, the long side
facing Bay Lake (with it's own beach). Nobody really uses the tennis
courts anyway..."

If its between the bus stop and the feature pool, I'd lose all interest. The lodge is beautiful, but the draw for me is sitting on the balcony watching the savannahs. The lodge is way to out of the way to have any appeal without Savannah rooms.

you could always pay cash and stay in AKL - just no more DVC points once the VAKL is built.

OH boy - it this is true - then a DVC Polyn might really, really happen.

I like the area that Tahiti is better than the Cove - but won't WDW lose money on not having the Luva anymore. I though the new Mickey one was a success?

vonpluto said:
“Disney Rumor Mill Ears” .....

Frank
AKL was designed with this in mind (and if you look around you can see exactly where the AKLV will go).(from a later post regarding AKL DVC location:
Between the bus stop and the feature pool, as pointed out by others..
Boy, you guys are quick !!)...............

AKL could do this because the DVC had already purchased their piece of
the resort property - with full expectation of building right away -
even though the actual building and quiet pool haven't yet
materialized.
If the DVC continues to sell as well as it has so far, we'll see a DVC
Villas building at every resort by the end of phase 4 (2039) !!"

" At the GF and Poly, the odds are that the DVC would purchase an already
existing building although plans have also been filed that might have
the DVC build a new building in the GF parking lot, just across the
monorail from the main entrance and in place of the luau show building
at the Poly.
At the CR, the building would be north of the north wing, the long side
facing Bay Lake (with it's own beach). Nobody really uses the tennis
courts anyway..."

here is a resort map of AKL
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/aklmap3.jpg

it looks like the area is Giraffee Trail only - that isn't enough room for a DVC villa plus a quiet pool....

so the Zebra trail won't be included????

anyone know - yes I know just a rumor. but it is fun!!! :teeth: :rotfl: :goodvibes

crisi said:
If its between the bus stop and the feature pool, I'd lose all interest. The lodge is beautiful, but the draw for me is sitting on the balcony watching the savannahs. The lodge is way to out of the way to have any appeal without Savannah rooms.

Me too. Although even if the rumored villas did face a savannah, we probably wouldn't buy. I like being outside when in FL and at AKL the only place to do that is by the pool. I really miss that. For us, AKL will probably always be a short stay kind of place for us for that reason. But different strokes.

The GF and Polynesian info is very interesting. But if the GF building were to go across from the monrail station, where would valet parking go? And talk about no view!

The Polynesian one by the luau sounds great. Tahiti would be even better but I thought the Polynesian stayed very busy. Do you think the hotel could be forced to give up a building? Anyway, we would buy there in a heartbeat. :cool1:

I have two VWL contracts. If VAKL ever happens, my smaller VWL contract immediately goes up for sale, and I purchase the same number if points at VAKL. These properties are my two favorites at WDW, so I'd need to own at both.

RADP = rec.arts.disney.parks

This is a USENET newsgroup -- basically an unmoderated forum that operates on one of the core technologies of the early Internet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter