Virgin and special needs?

signtalker

"in House" Disney Cast Member
Whenever we have booked holidays before, weve always provided and filled in medical forms regarding DS disabilities and requirements when travelling on the plane, having booked with virgin we've been told to phone so many days in advance(cant rememeber off the top of my head), and speak to the special needs department. How good are they at giving you what you ask for?, we know with an autistic child you get priority boarding, but it is also vital we sit either side of DS(for signing),and also eating, as he cant be near anybody else, also he has to take certain drugs.To date all the times we have travelled we have always had the seats we requested and written emergency instructions, but i must say im rather nervous about leaving it to 60 or so days before and arranging it over the phone. Has anybody had any dealings with virgin in this area.

jules

Jules

We are travelling in Nov 02 with our child who has special need's and I made arrangements for his special need's requirement's at the same time as ringing up for our seat allocation's.(180 day's) After getting our allocated seat's they just transfered us to the special need's department, who sorted everything there and then.

But saying that since we have not travelled as yet it remain's to be seen wheather our request's/need's will be met.

Can anyone shed some light on the latter?

Hi Jules :wave:

How are you and your family?

I have used special needs in the past and have always rung them as soon as I have booked the holiday. They then send you a form to fill in on which you enter all your details and requirements, so I would give them a ring now, I don't have the number to hand but it is in the Virgin Brochure and on their website.

I have actually just rung Virgin today to prebook our seats on the 'plane - I do remember that last time we flew, special needs booked the seats for me, but today there was no record of them having done this, so just as well I rang up to check and have booked them myself - I just don't trust anyone to do anything and always like to check things, and this time I'm glad I did!

To be honest I am totally fed up with Virgin as I was reading Woman's Own magazine last week and in their travel section it was harping on about this new system they are bringing in for inflight entertainment whereby you will be able to rewind, pause and select your own films etc and how great it will be - and they are pleading poverty saying how they can't afford to provide a few DVD's for their deaf customers, it's disgusting isn't it? I tell you, if there is nothing in place for me for my December flight that will be the last time we fly with Virgin - I refuse to give them any more of my money after this.

Sorry to go off the subject a little Jules, but as you know, this is something we both feel strongly about. I am going to ring Virgin Atlantic again next week, and mention this magazine article and tell them they should be ashamed of themselves - I don't suppose it will make much difference, but at least I will have let off steam! :mad:

Cheers Mazzy, i will ring them next week. I havent seen the article you are refering to, thats just typical isnt it with virgin, they do like to look after the majority of their passengers, Deaf/deaf/hard of hearing always seem to come second place to all the other disabilities that are catered for.
I can see me being on the phone a while on this one LOL, Ive been going over in my head the issues regarding the watchmans, so im in discount mode, and get what i want mode LOL.
Looks like we will both be quoting this article!(what magazine was it in, and what date was it?)I'll nip to the newsagents to get a copy.

Jules

Hi Jules

Glad to know I'm not alone in the battle :D

The magazine was Woman's Own - it is still in the shops but only until tomorrow, as the next issue comes out Tuesday. It is just a small paragraph in their travel pages.

Good Luck on getting some kind of compensation for this, though they may just say 'wait and see' as it is a while 'til your trip isn't it - next May?

Let me know how you get on won't you?

sorry to butt in.....

i've booked flight only through virgin group sales and each person i've spoken to regarding seats etc has told me something different - not very comforting when you consider how long the flight is

Hi,
I travelled with Virgin in March this year and had booked special assistance, as my mobility is not great was also travelling with a child and no other adult so needed help with wheelchair , luggage etc

The special needs people were very helpful and gave me lots of info, booked the seats etc,

when I arrived at Gatwick all the info I had been given was wrong, the wheelchair assistance was dreadful, they couldn't see why I didn't want to be dumped at the gate 4 hours before the fight was due to go

On the flight my stick was taken away so I couldn't get to the toilet, and when I asked for help had to wait nearly an hour

when we landed at MCO , my DD was told to push the chair and follow the skycap, who promptly dissapeared at the baggage retreval- the very place we needed help!

Coming back we had no assistance at all, not a good way to end a holiday, fighting with a wheelchair, 3 suitcases, and hand luggage especially as my DD was only 12

Had heard such good things about Virgin, and was really dissapointed at the service we had.
When I complained I was told that they do not guarantee the assistance- this from an airline who have won awards for disabled travelling :mad:

Hope that your trip goes without any problems

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter