VIRGIN DECREASE baggage allowance from 1st April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindy Loo

DIS Veteran
Im so hacked off with Virgin, we go in the 7th Oct for 3 weeks, I have just been told by a mate the baggage allowance has been slashed to just 23kg per case, still MAX 2 cases. It was 32kgs per case. Im really upset as I would never have booked virgin if it wasnt for their generous allowance. ive emailed them asking as I booked over a year ago, will they honour this or can I cancel and get my deposit back. :furious:
Knowing Virgin I wil be stiffed !!!! Well this is the LAST tine I fly with them. Oct 2007 I will not be using them!!! :sad2:

Sorry rant over!!! Just with 3 weeks holiday, including cruise case for tux and dresses, plus lots of gifts to take out.Buggy and car seat. I would be near my max going out, cant think what I was coming back ( all those disney gifts!!!)

COME ON VIRGIN ITS NOT FAIR TO CHANGE THE RULES AFTER IVE BOOKED!!!!!

Well, we've planned on 2 lots of 32kg cases ;-)0

We'll have to ask on the way out but I'm hopeful that they'll fulfill their allowances for 23rd March - 14th April.

I doubt they'll count the buggy and car seat as luggage - no one else, I know of, does :sunny:

We'll manage- whatever ;),

It is a pretty generous luggage limit though, even with the changes, - you have to agree

It's a shame as it was a real selling point for Virgin IMO, however I suppose with rising fuel costs it was a case of dropping the baggage allowance or upping the costs of the flights. I know which one I would prefer they did ;)

That said, 23kg is still reasonable, I weigh our luggage every time we travel and even when I think a particular bag weighs a ton it always seems to end up at about 25Kg. I can usually fit all my luggage into 1 bag like that which leaves us with the rest for DW and a few presents :teeth:

We will also have a bit of extra allowance this year having purchased a seat for Joseph, although with the amount of stuff he needs just for 1 day at the moment we might actually end up over our allowance :rotfl:

It looks like UC and PE remain the same though, another perk for flying PE :teeth: It's still twice the amount of most charter companies though even in Economy.
BTW infants still get this allowance - Infants not entitled to a seat are entitled to one piece of checked baggage weighing no more than 10 kg and with dimensions of 9 x 14 x 22 ins. They are also entitled to one piece of hand luggage weighing no more than 6kg. This is over and above the buggy or bassinet or car seat, which are carried free of charge.

Claire ;)

I think this is terrible. I disagree that 23kg x 2 is a generous allowance - when our cases are full, even just of clothes, they usually weigh around 28 - 30kg each. When 3 of us travel, there is no way we could make up our allowance by taking 6 suitcases. We don't have 6 suitcases and it opens up a whole new problem with what car to hire!

We had problems when we flew with Delta last year - the limit going out was 32kg per case, coming back that had changed (without any notification at all) to 50lb per case (about 22kgs). We were going to be charged $250 for coming home with the same things we had taken out! A lot of rearranging of cases and a golf bag stuffed with anything and everything at the check in desk and we were ok, but still.

I suppose it's a way the airline companies know they can make some ££ by charging for every overweight item, even when you might not actually be over the total limit, but for those who have booked, I think it's wrong that the goalposts can be moved.

Whilst agreeing that it's really annoying when the goalposts are changed after you've booked with an operator, I do think 2 x 23kgs allowance is still generous. :)

Whenever we've flown with Virgin we always comment that we never have one case each that's anywhere near 32kgs, let alone two ... and I'm certainly not a light packer (I wish I was :rolleyes: ). Our bags are sometimes over 23kgs, though, so I can see how that limit would be a problem if they stick to that per bag rather than a total of 46kgs per passenger.

How do you manage to get that much luggage to and from the airport? :confused3 We struggle to get our bags in, and it sounds as though we take a lot less than some of you.

ok i just checked the site and it still says 32kg each case for two cases.

but I am going to ring them, as I do fetch alot of luggage and if pe get to keep their limit I will upgrade on the way back too.

I hate it when things change, thought I had got everything sorted lol

I do hope they make the changes perfectly clear to all passengers in good time. Not everybody going to WDW reads this forum or indeed has internet access. To be reminded at the travel agents or when the tickets arrive on the doormat a couple of weeks before departure will not be good enough.

Packing may have commenced!

John

I checked on Virgin Atlantic site this morning and it does say that the changes will be from 1st April.

We fly tomorrow, returning on 13th April and no, we haven't been informed! :furious:

Guess it's one way of getting everyone to rent a bigger car to accommodate the cases :rotfl:

We have just got off the phone with VA

This is what they said:-

If you booked before 1st April 2006 and have been ticketed then they will honour the 32kg allowance.
If you book after 1st April 2006 then it will be 23kg allowance.
*update*
Just spoke to someone else from Virgin who say they will not honour baggage allowance, even if you have booked before 1st April..they said that its 23kg now...
Help I'm confused (doesnt take much;))

squitty said:
We have just got off the phone with VA

This is what they said:-

If you booked before 1st April 2006 and have been ticketed then they will honour the 32kg allowance.
If you book after 1st April 2006 then it will be 23kg allowance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Squitty, you're a star :thumbsup2

Alison, I have just spoken to someone else at Virgin...:( sorry!!!

Do you think it's alright to have a suitcase weighing over 23kg if you're only taking one piece of luggage?

Personally, I think if you booked before 1st April, irrelevant of when you're flying, they should honour 2 pieces at 32kgs.

I'm confused :confused3

Does anyone know if the limit of any case is 23Kg or 32Kg?

Reading the VA web-site I read it as you an allowance of 2 bags at 23Kg (i.e. 46Kg) with any bag limited to 32Kg. There are 4 of us so we would get 8 bags at 23Kg which is more than we can possibly carry.

Fully packed our cases can weight over 23Kg (just) so would be concerned if the limit to any case was 23Kg as we may need to take an extra large case.

squitty said:
Alison, I have just spoken to someone else at Virgin...:( sorry!!!

Never mind :)

We were planning on taking more than one case each anyway, and have a mini van at the other end so we'll manage :thumbsup2

The site seemed to suggest that you couldn't have a case weighing more than 23kg (health and safety :rolleyes: ) and, for Florida, can't combine your luggage limits (eg no one case weighing 46kg) :)

I am now seriously concerned. We fly out 1/4 and back 15/4 and I am relying on the higher baggage limit, I have just checked the tickets and they say 32 against allowance so I hope that that is what we get.

Sue

I think it'll be another reason Virgin will lose out to some of the charters, already First Choice are making a dent in the leg room stakes, if they up their allowance (as they're still on 1 x 23kg) and get a downtown check in style operation going Virgin will soon change back!

Just looked on our E-tickets and it just says to visit virgin's website to get the baggage allowance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter