• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Virgin Flights and Disabled assistance

alisonbestford

<font color=990066>Can cope with the dentist after
Well, here goes :D
We'll be travelling to Orlando (DH, myself and DD age 6) in Feb, with Virgin from the UK.
My question is about help from Virgin at the airport.
My DH has a long standing benign, but terminal brain tumour which makes him very tired and disorientated at times - mainly when he's just woken and has to do something decisive! ( a little like me :rolleyes1 )
I just know that he will sleep on the plane and then I'll be left to battle through customs with our 6 year old and him not knowing where he is or what he's doing, whilst trying to keep an eye on our luggage! It wouldn't be the first time we've left something either on the plane or at the airport! :blush:
I mentioned to him today that I'd like to ask for help at the airport and he, reluctantly, saw my point.
Does anyone know what help we might be able to receive? Also, can help be requested if you use the online check in?
Unfortunately he hates to admit to being ill / disabled and would be devastated to be offered a wheelchair! I, on the otherhand, am too tired to battle through the airport and customs unaided! :crazy: This is my holiday too and I'd love to start it in a calm manner :p
I've also been brave enough to mention the motorised scooters in the parks - does anyone know how much these roughly cost?
DH is registered disabled in the UK and has a blue badge etc which we have used in Orlando with no problems in the past.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Alison
:grouphug:

The 4th item down in the index for this forum is the "disABILTIES FAQ" with lots of information about ECVs (scooters). Basically if you rent them in the parks they are $30 per day (actually pay $40 and receive $10 back when it is turned in) but there is no guarantee of availability, especially if not near park opening in the morning. The rentals from off-site companies also run about $30 per day, but once you have had them for six days the daily price drops and they are available to you at all times. Since you are coming from UK, I will guess your holiday will be more than a week so you will be much better off with an ECV. If you are going to places where ECVs cannot be rented (such as Downtown Disney) you will still have it.

As far as the wheelchair, I don't know what Virgin does, but in the US the airlines will provide a wheelchair at no charge, and a person to push it all the way to the aircraft. If they take you to the plane in a wc, they will have one waiting at your destination. Although there is no formal fee, it is customary to give the person pushing a tip (usually $5 to $10) both on departure and arrival.

I don't have anything to add to what Cheshire Figment said, but you may also want to post on the UK Board (if you haven't already).
Would it be helpful at all to wake him like an hour before you land? If so, maybe the flight attendents could alert at that point so you can start to wake him?
Andrew, another poster from the UK is likely to be very helpful since he has traveled a lopt of times to WDW.

Thanks to you both for the info :cheer2: .
I hadn't posted on the UK board but will do that in a short while.
It may well work, waking DH an hour before we land - the only problem is that if he doesn't want to wake up he won't (or can't?!) I usually give it a try. sometimes it works, others I just end up getting angry and he carries on snoring obliviously! :rolleyes:
I hadn't given much thought to the availability of scooters really but, if as cheshire figment says, we'd have to get one early we don't stand a chance :D DD and I set off to the parks in the morning, leaving DH in bed, asleep. We make provisional arrangements to meet DH sometime in the afternoon but keep our mobile phones at the ready in case he feels too unwell to meet up pirate:
Renting offsite is a great idea but I've only arranged to pick up a small car (an intermediate?) :blush: I'm imagining that a scooter wouldn't fit in one of these?
One thing I have decided to do is take DD's pushchair - I think she'll still fit in! . That way I can at least load it with things we'll need during the day and will only have DH to worry about :cloud9:
Right then, off to the UK board to post :wave:
Thanks.
Alison

I read this thread yesterday but kept quiet because my disabilaty is very different from your husband's. Also, I always fly Virgin out of Gatwick, and you might be travelling from Manchester. I have never used twighlight check-in.

Certainly for my disability (wheelchair user), Virgin can't be beat. Gatwick handling gets us to the gate and will provide pushers or an electric buggy if needed.

I never sleep on the way out, so waking up is never an issue.

The only useful suggestion I can give is to leave a photocopy of your blue badge and a note on your dashboard, explaining that you need your badge in Florida. I was reading in 'Disabled Motorist' toaday, about people getting parking tickets and/or stickers on their windscreens from disabled activists asking why they were using disabled parking spots illegally.

And the off-site scooter companies all deliver and collect from your hotel. Your scooter will be waiting for you when you check in.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.
It doesn't matter in the least that your disability is different - any experiences give a little insight into the system as a whole ;-)
We will, indeed, be flying from Manchester. From what you've said I think I will ask for help at the airport.
I've decided against driving to the airport. We will be taking a taxi so photocopying the badge should hopefully not be necessary-it's something I'd never given a thought to before but I can understand what you're saying! :-)
Thanks again.
Alison

There is a special assistance department at Virgin, who we phone to ask for help. Our son has ASD and we ask for priority check-in and special seat requests. They're very helpful, and may be able to tell you what they can offer...phone 0870 9904213

You aren't able to do on-line check in if you have asked for special assistance. This is so that Virgin can check personally you have everything you need.

We have travelled twice with Virgin from Manchester with our disabled son who uses a wheelchair and theyare great. Don't forget to ask for bulkhead seats so you have more room for your DH.

Hi there :flower1:
Thank you to everyone who responded to my query.
I emailed the Virgin customer care department and they have arranged for us to have bulk head seats if possible.
They also gave loads of advice on where to check in a little more easily and what to do when we arrive in Orlando.
I've said that we might require assistance on landing - it's the standing around and walking long distances that I'm worried about. Not sure whether they can offer help on a 'maybe' occassion or even at just one end of the journey but we'll see :cheer2:
Given DH's diagnosis they asked for a 'fitness to fly' letter from his consultant. We have verbal consent but had never thought about getting written confirmation. I would hate for us to be asked at the airport and not be able to provide one! :blush:
Now it's all been completed, faxed through to Virgin and the insurance double checked.

Once again, a big thank you to everyone.
Now I can go and buy park tickets :cool1:

Alison

One last hint .... Arrive with plenty of low denomination US$$$$. You need to be able to 'tip' your way right through the airport to your hotel room.

If your husband is given a wheelchair at Orlando and somone to push, they will need tipping ($10 - $15?) as will redcaps who help with luggage, taxi drivers/Mears bus driver plus Disney bell staff at your hotel.

I always spend the last few days of each trip saving $1 & $5 bills for next year's trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter