Visa debit card success / Is it September yet?

OldSchoolReasons

DIS Veteran
I know a few of you have been following the ever changing card debacle. So I have an update.

Anyway last night/morning (3am UK time) I booked my Tokyo Disneyland hotel, I used a Mastercard Credit Card and my provider blocked it, so in a mad panic I tried my Visa Debit card and it went through. I'm quite surprised as everywhere on the website it makes it clear that you can't use them, the money has been taken out my account and I have a confirmation email though so it seems legitimate.

We managed to get an Alice in Wonderland character room and I am so excited to stay there, we had to book a 4 person for the 2 of us because the 3 had gone by the time I'd re-entered my card details. Extra space is never bad though right? Typically, after I'd booked my bank text me to unblock my card and authorise transactions from Tokyo Disney, so when I book the Miracosta part of my stay on Wednesday morning it should work.

For anyone booking I'd really recommend bookmarking the URL you need with the dates to get a headstart, another user recommended this (thank you so much!) and it's really solid advice. By the time my card had been rejected the room I wanted had already sold out and I had to book the more expensive one. That was 4 minutes after they'd gone live.

Example link for Miracosta, 2 people, 2 nights from the 13th September, then just change the dates and people: https://reserve.tokyodisneyresort.j...lg=0&childAgeBedInform=&removeSessionFlg=true

Anyway, I hope this helps someone. We're all locked and loaded now, flights and hotel booked - just got to order our Halloween costumes and book Ghibli museum tickets. C'mon September 10th :dumbo::ccat:

I just bought my Ghibli museum tickets last night, it was a very similar experience to booking TDR hotel rooms. The tickets go on sale at 10am in Japan, which is 7pm in my time zone. By 7:08 when I was finished buying (first attempt failed due to heavy web traffic, second attempt successful, but they ask for a lot of information) pretty much everything for the month of May was sold out. I think there were maybe 2-3 time slots with a few spaces available.

I just bought my Ghibli museum tickets last night, it was a very similar experience to booking TDR hotel rooms. The tickets go on sale at 10am in Japan, which is 7pm in my time zone. By 7:08 when I was finished buying (first attempt failed due to heavy web traffic, second attempt successful, but they ask for a lot of information) pretty much everything for the month of May was sold out. I think there were maybe 2-3 time slots with a few spaces available.

Oh no that's 2am in my time, I hope I get something, there's only 3 days we can visit and 2 are at the weekend. Fingers crossed!

The museum is closed for maintenance may 15-26; maybe that is why..?

Planning a trip in October and am a bit confused about booking. We are hoping for the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel. From this thread, it seems like we need to book immediately 5 months before our stay. Does it really book that quickly? Is there a specific time that it opens up online? And we book a room only and get our tickets when we get to the hotel, is that correct? Also, I noticed most of the rooms seem to have twin beds. Is that typical? And it seems like there are specific credits cards that can be used to book and others that are not allowed? Which ones? Please excuse all of my questions. This will be our first trip to Asia, and it's all new to me.

Laurie

Planning a trip in October and am a bit confused about booking. We are hoping for the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel. From this thread, it seems like we need to book immediately 5 months before our stay. Does it really book that quickly? Is there a specific time that it opens up online? And we book a room only and get our tickets when we get to the hotel, is that correct? Also, I noticed most of the rooms seem to have twin beds. Is that typical? And it seems like there are specific credits cards that can be used to book and others that are not allowed? Which ones? Please excuse all of my questions. This will be our first trip to Asia, and it's all new to me.

Laurie

Hey,

Don't worry about all the the questions, I was in the same boat a few months ago.

Register on the website in advance and play around with the booking system in advance (though obviously don't book). You'll need to pay a 30,000JPY deposit on booking and the rest on arrival.

The cheaper rooms in each catergory will book out that quickly - we wanted a 3 person Alice room and it booked out in 4 minutes. You'll need to be logged on ready to go at 11am Japan time. I'm in the UK so that's 3am for me.

You can get your tickets in advance but they will be e-tickets. As a Tokyo Disney guest you are guaranteed entry so can buy tickets when you arrive. We'll be doing that as I'd like paper ones.

In theory you can only use cards issued in Japan or for overseas visitors they will accept MasterCard credit cards but not Visa/Amex. The website states that they do not accept debit cards but as I said above, I managed to book with a Visa Debit so i think it varies depending on how the website is feeling.

Twin beds seems to be standard but it looks like they are small doubles (to me anyway). They certainly don't look narrow anyway. They normally have pull out sofa/trundle beds too. Mine is a 4 person so it also has a bed in the alcove which looks child size.

Great information! Thank you! I believe that will be 10pm EST for me. It sounds like there is no reason to worry about getting my tickets in advance. Now to explore the rooms online!

Laurie

That's frustrating that if your card isn't accepted, the room isn't held while you try another card.
Adding to my stress levels about booking a room now! LOL

Had you informed your mastercard provider of the transaction in advance? I was hoping to use mastercard from the UK too as I have one which doens't charge a currency conversion fee...

That's frustrating that if your card isn't accepted, the room isn't held while you try another card.
Adding to my stress levels about booking a room now! LOL

Had you informed your mastercard provider of the transaction in advance? I was hoping to use mastercard from the UK too as I have one which doens't charge a currency conversion fee...

I did not inform them in advance because strangely there's an option on the app to notify that you're travelling abroad but not making a transaction abroad. (It's a Post Office one) I booked my Miracosta room Wednesday night and it went though this time on MasterCard so I think it's because it's the first time I've used it for a foreign transaction.

Good luck! With the Miracosta the cheapest room and the double Venice rooms sold out immediately but I managed to get a Venice twin. I hope you get the one you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter