Visiting hotel lobbies?

Finkerfell

Mouseketeer
Strange question, but since we've never been here...we are saying at the Holiday Inn on South Manchester Ave. Can we go to Grand California and Disneyland Hotel to see the Halloween gingerbread displays? How far of a walk would this be?
Thanks!

Strange question, but since we've never been here...we are saying at the Holiday Inn on South Manchester Ave. Can we go to Grand California and Disneyland Hotel to see the Halloween gingerbread displays? How far of a walk would this be?
Thanks!
Yes. The Grand Californian is attached to DCA (it has a dedicated entrance/exit from the park into the hotel), so that one is easy and not far. The Disneyland Hotel is on the other end of Downtown Disney, so it’s a bit further, about a 10-15 minute walk.

I’ve heard the Paradise Pier hotel has a great Halloween display this year but haven’t seen it for myself. That one’s a few more minutes past the DH.

Sure, GCH will be easy to visit while you're in California Adventure, you can use the entrance by Grizzly River Run.

DLH will be a walk down DTD from the turnstiles; it's about a quarter mile? Anyway, visitors are always welcome. We like to hang out in the GCH lobby to cool off on hot days.

If you're talking about starting from your hotel, it's just about a mile walk according to Google Maps, to DLH.

GCH, if you entered from Downtown Disney, would be a little less than that.

GCH entrance in essentially the in the middle of DTD, DLH is at the far west end of DTD

Gch lobby is magical as soon as you enter the double doors! The piano and design of the halls are breath taking! The music in the courtyard is spectacular!

Yes, we have visited the lobbies many, many times. There's no one at the entrances to challenge you and no one inside ever bats an eye at us (contrary to some rumors). When we engage a staff member they're always great.
We have toured the entire GC hotel and often stop at The Hearth lounge for a libation.

I've also visited the lobbies of the hotels to see the seasonal displays. I usually start in the GCH, then head over to PPH (leave the GCH via the front entrance, follow the side walk to the street, and then cross to the PPH), and then walk to the DLH. From DLH, I go through security at the entrance to DTD and then head back to the parks. I haven't tried coming back into the GCH from PPH, but there is a gate you have to go through and I don't know if it's unlocked or if you need a room key to unlock it.

(The only downside to this plan is that you start with the actual Gingerbread House display at the GCH and end with the plastic display at the DLH, which can be somewhat of a let down.)

Dumb question, but I've never been inside GCH. When you enter from DTD, where exactly do you end up inside the hotel, and how do you get to the lobby from there?

There's no one at the entrances to challenge you and no one inside ever bats an eye at us (contrary to some rumors).
I feel like this should be clarified a bit since it might give some readers the impression that visiting the lobbies is something that could be “challenged”! I don’t think there are exactly rumors of anyone being challenged entering a lobby; visiting the lobbies is encouraged (how else will they sell their $20 shot glass cookies?!).

The only place you can’t enter is into the GCH from the main entry (so, coming from Paradise Pier, basically, where cars drop off for the lobby). They do routinely have people stationed on the street there to prevent anyone but GCH guests from coming in. It’s not at the lobby, really, but on the street.

We had a Napa Rose reservation when my mom was in a wheelchair with an oxygen tank and we were walking over from the Disneyland Hotel, and they still weren’t going to let us through there until my husband forwarded me the email for the reservation that he’d made. We also noticed they had people stationed there when we stayed at Paradise Pier this June. So that is a thing, but it’s just that one entrance.

I feel like this should be clarified a bit since it might give some readers the impression that visiting the lobbies is something that could be “challenged”! I don’t think there are exactly rumors of anyone being challenged entering a lobby; visiting the lobbies is encouraged (how else will they sell their $20 shot glass cookies?!).

The only place you can’t enter is into the GCH from the main entry (so, coming from Paradise Pier, basically, where cars drop off for the lobby). They do routinely have people stationed on the street there to prevent anyone but GCH guests from coming in. It’s not at the lobby, really, but on the street.

We had a Napa Rose reservation when my mom was in a wheelchair with an oxygen tank and we were walking over from the Disneyland Hotel, and they still weren’t going to let us through there until my husband forwarded me the email for the reservation that he’d made. We also noticed they had people stationed there when we stayed at Paradise Pier this June. So that is a thing, but it’s just that one entrance.

Wow, I guess I didn't put that very well. I was attempting to clarify that you are free to roam the hotels without any problems at all - as you suggest.
OTOH, While I have not entered the GCH through the front entrance, I have entered the DLH several timres via cabs and uber without anyone saying a word to us. Of course, that's not what this thread is about.
I stand by my rumor comment, they're out there.

There are only two restrictions regarding access and CGH under typical operating conditions.

One...Only resort guests (registered guests and confirmed restaurant reservation holders) can enter the GCH from the front entrance from the street as mentioned above. This is to prevent off site guests from using the GHC lobby as a shortcut and jamming up actual GCH guests at the security checkpoints.

Anyone at any time can enter GCH from DTD or DCA

Two...Entering the DCA gate from the GCH is exclusive to resort guest only. That in practice is only enforced before 11am and at times not even before 11. Again, anyone can EXIT DCA to enter GCH at any time.

All else is just an incorrect assumption or misunderstanding of the access rules.

Dumb question, but I've never been inside GCH. When you enter from DTD, where exactly do you end up inside the hotel, and how do you get to the lobby from there?
There are no dumb questions. :)

The entrance is right by Sephora, so about halfway down DTD. You go through an entryway arch/ hallway maybe 20 yards long. The security check tables for people entering DTD is on the left as you're walking in, so you'll be passing by that to the right. You turn right and walk a few yards to a double sliding door, which puts you in a long hallway with some conference rooms, rest rooms, etc. You turn left and walk along that, up 3 or 4 steps, and then into the lobby. There is a hallway to your left just before the lobby that takes a left/right turn into the bank of elevators, and then lets out into the lobby; lots of people peel off and go that way. The thing is, the place is constantly full of people going in and out, so it's really obvious where to go.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter