Visitor Toll Pass question

Stephdisney

Earning My Ears
We will be picking our rental car up at MCO but returning it to Car Care Center and using a different method of transportation to get back to MCO. Can I return the toll pass in the drop box when we get to the airport? Thanks!

I can't see why not. There is an activation of the VTP that happens when you leave the garage but I don't think anything happens when you bring it back.

Yes, but make sure when you turn in the rental car you change your account to a nonsensical license plate number like 1111111 or something otherwise if someone checks out the car before you’ve turned back in the pass you’re on the hook for those charges.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses.
Yes, but make sure when you turn in the rental car you change your account to a nonsensical license plate number like 1111111 or something otherwise if someone checks out the car before you’ve turned back in the pass you’re on the hook for those charges.
I hadn’t thought of this. Good tip! Thank You!

You set the end date of your trip when you reserve the pass, so this step is not necessary.

Yes, but I don’t know their timeline as to when they are planning on returning the pass, ie how many days later, and whether they set their trip end time as to when they are turning in the pass or turning in the rental car.

We fly out three days after returning the car. I haven’t been in the app yet to set up a reservation. My only concern would be the fact that I’m not returning the pass immediately. I’ll have to go back and look but I believe I have 30 days before I’ll be charged the $10. With the high turnover of their rental cars, there’s probably a decent chance that car could get rented out in those three days. I’ll probably just have the trip end on the day we go to the airport and change the license plate number to be safe.

We were also considering the visitor pass for a one way rental from MCO to the car care centre, however, according to the pass' FAQ (https://visitortollpass.com/Faq), "Visitor Toll Pass™ is currently only able to serve customers who are picking up and dropping off a rental car at the Orlando International Airport."

We fly out three days after returning the car. I haven’t been in the app yet to set up a reservation. My only concern would be the fact that I’m not returning the pass immediately. I’ll have to go back and look but I believe I have 30 days before I’ll be charged the $10. With the high turnover of their rental cars, there’s probably a decent chance that car could get rented out in those three days. I’ll probably just have the trip end on the day we go to the airport and change the license plate number to be safe.
Returning a car to the Car Care Center, I would expect that it will be re-rented very quickly, perhaps even the same day. They try to keep their inventory moving. When we used to pick up at the Alamo/National desk at the Dolphin (still closed due to Covid changes), they sometimes had to bring a car over from the CCC when I refused to accept a “free upgrade” to a full size SUV (think GMC Suburban) in place of my reserved full size sedan (think Camry).

We were also considering the visitor pass for a one way rental from MCO to the car care centre, however, according to the pass' FAQ (https://visitortollpass.com/Faq), "Visitor Toll Pass™ is currently only able to serve customers who are picking up and dropping off a rental car at the Orlando International Airport."
You can still return the pass to MCO if you’re flying out.

For example when we cruised out of Port Canaveral:
Rented a car at MCO, picked up a pass, assigned it to the rental car’s license plate, but we returned the rental car at port, so then I changed the license plate to 000000 to “deactivate” the pass, on the cruise we did not accumulate other‘s charges, then we were back in port, picked up a new rental car, assigned the account to the new license plate, then returned a new car to MCO.

You could do the same for a one-way trip.

I read that also, but I figured it would be worth asking here to get people’s opinions. I’m assuming that is their preferred method of use due to the fact they only have the vending machines/drop boxes at MCO.

I think that OP's use case is an edge case and not something that was considered when the FAQ was written. VTP claims there is an activation process that happens when leaving the rental car garage, but nothing about something happening when returning. I think OP would be fine, worst case they'd be out $10. I would go ahead and do it in OP's position.

You set the end date of your trip when you reserve the pass, so this step is not necessary.
But what happens if you return the car on Tuesday but don’t return the pass until Saturday? There’s a fee for not returning the pass, so I think the suggestion is to set your return date to when you’ll actually return the pass and change the plate number so that you don’t get charged for any extra tolls. Otherwise, you may be on the hook for the $10 non-return fee. ( I think it says $10 on the tag I have hanging in my rental car now.)

But what happens if you return the car on Tuesday but don’t return the pass until Saturday? There’s a fee for not returning the pass, so I think the suggestion is to set your return date to when you’ll actually return the pass and change the plate number so that you don’t get charged for any extra tolls. Otherwise, you may be on the hook for the $10 non-return fee. ( I think it says $10 on the tag I have hanging in my rental car now.)
You have a window to return the pass before the fee is charged. I believe it to be 30 days but I don't know that. They certainly took more than 30 days to refund my deposit the last time I used VTP.

You have a window to return the pass before the fee is charged. I believe it to be 30 days but I don't know that. They certainly took more than 30 days to refund my deposit the last time I used VTP.
I can’t find any window listed on the site, so that’s really the question and the only real reason for setting a farther out date with a fake license plate. If we could get confirmation that you’d have a few extra days to return it, that would all be unnecessary. But, alas, here we are.

I’m pretty sure I always burn through full deposit, so I’ve never had to wait for a refund. I doubt I’d bother with the pass (or even a rental car) if I wasn’t going to spend more then $10 on tolls.

VTP sent me an email with the following line before the end of my trip:

Returning Your Pass*
Remove your pass after entering the parking garage at Orlando International Airport.

That seems to suggest that the pass may be deactivated upon entering the parking garage. I don't know if that is a necessary step before returning the pass. It may automatically deactivate at the end of the trip.

Another line from the email stated that you have 3 days from the end of the trip to return the pass:

You will be charged a $10 fee if the pass is not returned 3 days after the end of your trip.

We will be picking our rental car up at MCO but returning it to Car Care Center and using a different method of transportation to get back to MCO. Can I return the toll pass in the drop box when we get to the airport? Thanks!
Absolutely. Just make sure the return time you indicate on the Visitor Toll Pass reservation reflects the time you return to the Car Care Center. None of this "change the license plate" business. VTP links the license plate number as soon as you go through your first toll, and will continue to charge until the end of the rental period that you've given to them. Return the Pass to a drop box once you get to the airport.

I’m sorry, I guess I misunderstood OP’s post. I read it as they were dropping the car at the care center and then heading to the airport fairly soon after. They didn’t mention it would be a different day.

I can’t find any window listed on the site, so that’s really the question and the only real reason for setting a farther out date with a fake license plate. If we could get confirmation that you’d have a few extra days to return it, that would all be unnecessary. But, alas, here we are.

I’m pretty sure I always burn through full deposit, so I’ve never had to wait for a refund. I doubt I’d bother with the pass (or even a rental car) if I wasn’t going to spend more then $10 on tolls.

We rent a car, but don’t go over $10 in tolls. We use it to drive around Disney property but there aren’t tolls there. The pass gives the cheapest rate possible, so we got that rather than paying through the rental car company.

We rent a car, but don’t go over $10 in tolls. We use it to drive around Disney property but there aren’t tolls there. The pass gives the cheapest rate possible, so we got that rather than paying through the rental car company.
This does nothing to answer OP's question. What's your point?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter