Volcano Bay-Culturally questionable?

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
Every time I see photos or hear about Volcano Bay I internally cringe. It just seems like they just made a rip-off of the important Polynesian cultures (I'm not saying Disney does cultural appropriation any better, this is just talking about Volcano Bay). Especially the photos from the media and opening day, with actors having painted on face tattoos. And talking about visiting "villages" and such, just seems icky to me.

Does anyone else feel the same way or am I just being too sensitive (fyi-I definitely don't have any Polynesian ancestry)?

It's about theme. And it's nicely done at VB

Everything about theme parks is *theme* (as the name says) and some kind of appropriation.

Every time I see photos or hear about Volcano Bay I internally cringe. It just seems like they just made a rip-off of the important Polynesian cultures (I'm not saying Disney does cultural appropriation any better, this is just talking about Volcano Bay). Especially the photos from the media and opening day, with actors having painted on face tattoos. And talking about visiting "villages" and such, just seems icky to me.

Does anyone else feel the same way or am I just being too sensitive (fyi-I definitely don't have any Polynesian ancestry)?

IMO you are in the minority. Can't imagine Universal not doing focus groups as to the theme before breaking ground.

There is cultural appropriation and then there is misappropriation. Haven't experienced VB yet, but as long as the theme is being executed respectfully it can be argued the theme was developed out of admiration, not descecration of the Polynesian culture.

The fact there was no actual franchise fee involved (as in Harry Potter/Marvel IP) was probably a big bonus for U settling upon the theme too:rolleyes1

I don't think you are being too sensitive but I am sure we are in the minority. I cringed a little when I first saw the opening ceremony. I honestly did not know who the performers were but as the performance went on, it was clear they were not just actors. They were talking about cultures coming together to keep the watori(sp) culture alive.

The performers are New Zealand Maori people. Universal did not just hire a bunch of actors/dancers to put in a show. If they had, then I can absolutely see an issue with cultural appropriation. I assume Universal well compensated the group of people who performed. They gave an opportunity for the Maori to share their culture on a large scale which I think is great.

Sorry for the rambling.

ETA:

To echo the above post, The dancers were the Te Waka Huia group from New Zealand, I got the chance to chat with them briefly after the ceremony, these guys were awesome and totally excited to be invited to there The paddleboarders were a local group, using BOGA paddleboards and they set up right next to us before the ceremony.

I took this short video from where I was for the ceremony, they are dancing to Te Vaka - Tutaki in the video

upload_2017-5-31_22-15-4.jpeg

Last edited:
I get it. But I'm generally of the opinion that a Polynesian themed water park is a lot less offensive than a movie like pochahantas or Moana. One just has eye candy. One twists or whitewashes actual history and culture. There's probably an entire generation out there (multiple at this point maybe) who think Pochahantas was real person who had a love affair with John Smith.

I get it. But I'm generally of the opinion that a Polynesian themed water park is a lot less offensive than a movie like pochahantas or Moana. One just has eye candy. One twists or whitewashes actual history and culture. There's probably an entire generation out there (multiple at this point maybe) who think Pochahantas was real person who had a love affair with John Smith.

Umm...Pocahontas WAS a real person. http://www.ancient-origins.net/history-famous-people/true-story-pocahontas-not-told-disney-002285

True they twisted the story a fair bit (she likely met John Smith at about age 10 and married a different Englishman) but she was certainly a real person and from many accounts, did help the British a lot during their early days in Virginia.

I'm of the perspective that these movies are made to be entertainment, not historically accurate documentaries. It does inspire me to learn the real stories behind the movies though. Usually after watching any movie inspired by a true story, I start looking up the "real" story and learn a lot about the culture/history. DH loves asking me all kinds of questions about what really happened.

I'm Chinese and do not find movies like Mulan the least bit offensive. I was actually excited when it came out because it's neat when stories about my culture get told to a broader audience.

Umm...Pocahontas WAS a real person. http://www.ancient-origins.net/history-famous-people/true-story-pocahontas-not-told-disney-002285

True they twisted the story a fair bit (she likely met John Smith at about age 10 and married a different Englishman) but she was certainly a real person and from many accounts, did help the British a lot during their early days in Virginia.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/true-story-pocahontas-180962649/

Pocahontas is a general nickname. It wasn't her name specifically. The only account of her helping John Smith or the settlers was really written by Smith years later when no one was left to contradict him and historians generally don't think it reflects reality.

So the ONLY part that existed is that John Smith knew a chief who had a child nicknamed Pocahontas. She did teach John Smith some things. That child eventually married an Englishman and died in England, never to return to her homeland. She was an ambassador for her people. But the whole problem is that the story is told in a way that is flattering to John Smith. The whole love story bit is based on John Smith's own myth creation.

It's like if Gaston wrote the story of Belle. Gaston is the hero in his own story- the villain in Belle's.

(I am not actually anti-Pocahontas. Meeko is probably my favorite Disney sidekick ever. But from a historian and anthropologist perspective the movie makes me cringe. It has a lot of "noble savage" caricature in it for one thing).

OP........wondered if you had read the replies and what did you think...........

I am a New Zealander - just letting you know OP that the 'painted on face tattoos' are culturally accurate, very few modern Maori choose permanent tā moko, although they are more common now than say 20 years ago. Te Waka Huia are such an awesome group! And hey, maybe it will encourage people to find out more!

FWIW, Auckland, NZ where I live is known as the largest Polynesian city in the world, as we have all Polynesian cultures living here. When Moana came out, there was no negativity around it from the people who were actually just so proud to see their cultures, language, art and stories reflected on the screen - and the level of consultation around the story and music was amazing. They consulted and worked with a number of Pasifika cultures, and Opetaia Foa'i worked extensively on the soundtrack. He was also very strong in standing up for his culture when he felt things were being depicted incorrectly, and he was listened to.

I actually teared up when I saw Moana. Although I am not of Pasifika heritage, I am proud of the diversity of my country, and to hear the sounds on the screen, and to see it like that, well, makes me tear up even now!

To echo the above post, The dancers were the Te Waka Huia group from New Zealand, I got the chance to chat with them briefly after the ceremony, these guys were awesome and totally excited to be invited to there The paddleboarders were a local group, using BOGA paddleboards and they set up right next to us before the ceremony.

I took this short video from where I was for the ceremony, they are dancing to Te Vaka - Tutaki in the video

View attachment 241291

How cool. The cultures of the Pacific area has always fascinated me. Glad to hear from others that the performers were excited and it was respectably done

I don't think you are being too sensitive but I am sure we are in the minority. I cringed a little when I first saw the opening ceremony. I honestly did not know who the performers were but as the performance went on, it was clear they were not just actors. They were talking about cultures coming together to keep the watori(sp) culture alive.

The performers are New Zealand Maori people. Universal did not just hire a bunch of actors/dancers to put in a show. If they had, then I can absolutely see an issue with cultural appropriation. I assume Universal well compensated the group of people who performed. They gave an opportunity for the Maori to share their culture on a large scale which I think is great.

Sorry for the rambling.

ETA:

View attachment 241291

OP........wondered if you had read the replies and what did you think...........

Hearing that it was an authentic NZ group that did the opening ceremony did make me feel better. I had thought they just got actors who looked polynesian, painted face tattoos and taught them a dance.

To the OP:
I am a tolerant, easy going, soft spoken, politically correct person. I think a good record are my posts, archived here on the DIS, that go back since 1999, when it was new.
That said, over the last 15 or so of my 24 years as a pubic state employee, I've had to attend the most inane and ridiculous day long "ethics training" classes that are pathetically intended to reduce "cringe-worthy behavior". I am disgusted and personally offended every year that I am required to attend, and have to put up with just one more until I retire.:thumbsup2
Sorry to be so blunt, but please have a little leeway with things that you may not like, and do try to cringe less.
Without question, I do believe that many issues that happen out there are worth speaking out on, but theme park entertainment is not, especially if it's done with good intentions and good taste, as in this case.

-Mark

Last edited:
It seems as though they had done their research. They never explicitly stated it all was a representation of one culture, but more than one. These individuals that were traveling were trying to find a new place to call home, along that way they found and discovered new things, and that they decided to adapt all these elements of these cultures together and found Volcano Bay.

Whether it's seems appropriate, or not, it doesn't change the fact that they did their research to try to best represent as possible and didn't try to whitewash during the ceremony. I think that is what matters the most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter