Vow Renewal on the July 6th Magic!

stormkrow

Mouseketeer
As requested in an earlier thread, I have posted a report on the Cruise Line Trip Report forum about the vow renewal ceremony my DW and I had during our July 6th cruise.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Great report! You knew I'd be one of the first to read it and have questions. :)

Disney has never been the least expensive choice but they sure manage to make an event memorable - nobody does it like Disney does.

I've got to get my planning packet completed and sent back within the next week or so. There are a few things I'm questioning.

1) What type of flowers did you receive. I was wondering how fresh they would be. I know they are prepared on Friday and the ceremony isn't until the following Thursday. I was inquiring with FTW and apparently there has been some problems with the flowers staying fresh.

2) From your report I'm assuming that your meeting with the coordinator on board was prescheduled for 3pm. Obviously if you wanted specific spa treatments you'd already have had time to book them yourself before the 3pm meeting. Do you have an option of scheduling that meeting for earlier?

3) I'm wondering about the music list. In our packet it has spaces for 4 song selections. Is this all that is played or should I include a few others?

4) Were you able to have some photos taken with some of the characters? Anything special or were you simply lined up in the crowd and have to wait your turn?

5) Who was your captain that performed the ceremony?

6) We're going to have the sparkling cider for our kids too. Did you have to purchase an entire bottle of cider as well? How was your cake?

Obviously they wouldn't make an exception and allow your children to join you in Palo for that dinner. :( Seems to me they could for a wedding/renewal but I guess "rules are rules".

Other than lowering the cost what improvements would you suggest be made to their renewal package. Could Disney improve it at all? Looking back was it what you anticipated?

Thanks for answering my endless questions. I'm starting to realize this is going to finally happen - 9 weeks from now.

Let's see how many of these questions I can answer.

Originally posted by Renee'

1) What type of flowers did you receive. I was wondering how fresh they would be. I know they are prepared on Friday and the ceremony isn't until the following Thursday. I was inquiring with FTW and apparently there has been some problems with the flowers staying fresh.

2) From your report I'm assuming that your meeting with the coordinator on board was prescheduled for 3pm. Obviously if you wanted specific spa treatments you'd already have had time to book them yourself before the 3pm meeting. Do you have an option of scheduling that meeting for earlier?

3) I'm wondering about the music list. In our packet it has spaces for 4 song selections. Is this all that is played or should I include a few others?

4) Were you able to have some photos taken with some of the characters? Anything special or were you simply lined up in the crowd and have to wait your turn?

5) Who was your captain that performed the ceremony?

6) We're going to have the sparkling cider for our kids too. Did you have to purchase an entire bottle of cider as well? How was your cake?

Obviously they wouldn't make an exception and allow your children to join you in Palo for that dinner. :( Seems to me they could for a wedding/renewal but I guess "rules are rules".

Other than lowering the cost what improvements would you suggest be made to their renewal package. Could Disney improve it at all? Looking back was it what you anticipated?

Thanks for answering my endless questions. I'm starting to realize this is going to finally happen - 9 weeks from now.

#1 I just spoke to management (my DW) who informs me that our flowers actually came from Cozumel. Normally, they would board the ship when we do in Florida, but since my DW had requested an unusual color rose (lavender), they tried to get them in Cozumel. Unfortunately, they were unsuccessful and had to substitute a dark pink rose.

Interestingly, the flowers that we got when we first boarded the ship in Florida (roses from Shirley's shop and a bouquet of flowers from DCL) lasted longer than the vow renewal flowers that were delivered in Cozumel.

My DW and DD had French bouquets (white and dark pink roses) and myself and my DS had white rose boutonnieres. The flowers were all beautiful, bu they didn't last much past the next day.

DW says to be careful with white flowers since they may yellow with time (we got lucky).

#2 We received a letter from our coordinator when we initially checked in at the dock. It requested that we stop by Sessions between 1 pm and 2:30 pm "so that I may assist you with any priority bookings you may need and we can also arrange a convenient time to meet to discuss the final arrangements for Thursday."

Between getting something to eat, dropping of our carry-on luggage in our stateroom, and a quick stop to schedule our spa appointments, we didn't get down to Sessions until closer to 3 pm. I guess we could have gone to see Geri right at 1 pm and had her arrange the "priority bookings," but I was concerned that the suriel bath books up too fast and we'd miss it. So, we booked them ourselves.

At our Saturday, 3 pm meeting, we discussed all the details of the ceremony and thus didn't need to schedule an additional meeting later.

#3 My DW is sitting next to me. She commented that she doesn't even remember the music. I know the pianist was playing and I specifically recall "Kiss the Girl," but beyond that, it was simply background.

We didn't bother with the formal walking up and down the aisle. So, we didn't have them play the more traditional music. We requsted mostly classical music (again, as background). My DW secretly requested that they play "Kiss the Girl" even though she didn't want Disney music, but knew I liked that song.

I wouldn't fret over the music.

#4 After Geri took the traditional photos during and immediately after the ceremony (family pictures with the Captain, cutting the cake, etc.), Geri led us out into the main area outside Lumiere's. There was a long line of people waiting to get their picture taken in front of the sailor Mickey statue. The photographer took us next ahead of everyone. I felt awkward, but the people seemed fine with it.

Geri also took pictures of us (with our camera) at several other locations around the ship, including out on the deck. While my DW didn't want any "wedding" pictures with the characters (we did on other days), I'm sure it could have been arranged. Just make note on the forms and mention it to Geri when you get onboard.

#5 Captain Henri conducted the ceremonies.

#6 I don't recall whether we paid extra for the bottle of sparkling cider or what happened to the bottle afterwards. I'll have to check our detailed bill from the cruise.

The cake was delicious. Unless you have a large group wih you, you'll end up giving away part of it.

Renee', the only real complaint (or area of improvement) I can think of is the cost of the photographer. To pay $135 just to have the photographer take a couple of pictures - and then have us pay for each photo we select as well - to me is excessive.

Trust me, 9 weeks will go by so fast.

Many thanks to the two of you for all the info and help. It sounds very "Magical" and it seems as though we have a lot to look forward to.

I had talked with the coordinator last week (to inquire about the rose colors as I too wanted lavender). She was very hesitant and didn't want to give me any real answers as there was going to be a meeting this past Thursday to discuss what could be done to improve the situation of the flowers on the 7-day cruise. I offered a suggestion of silk as they will never go bad. I'm to call her this week and see what has been decided upon but honestly I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I'd love to be able to keep the bouquet as a keepsake.

Ours will be very intimate as it will only be us and our two children, ages 10 and 7. I guess we'll have lots of cake to eat afterwards. :)

I agree 100% about the photo package price. When I first read it I assumed you got the photos but after rereading it I realized that the $135 is simply to have them take the pics - you then will have to buy them ala carte. Seems rather steep to me too. BTW, are you going to post any photos?

If I can figure out how to post photos - somewhere, anywhere - I will. we don't have a web page. I'll have to talk to my internet-savvy daughter, she's the expert in the family.

As far as photos go, we only have the one photo taken by the Disney Photographer. I just sent off the ten rolls of film to PhotoWorks for processing. I should be getting the photos - on paper and CD - within a week.

I might be able to set up a photo album on the PhotoWorks website. I'll check with Alyson.

BTW, when are you doing Palos? We thought that since everyone would be all dressed up for the vow renewal and since Thursday is the semi-formal Captain's Dinner, that it made sense to go to the dinner together that night and celebrate at Palos another night. The kids hate getting all dressed up anyway - why waste it. We had a wonderful night together.

Take care.

I'm uncertain of what night we'll go to Palo. I had originally planned on going on Thursday night. We'd be with our children for the ceremony and pictures then we'd go to our regular assigned seating and have dinner with our children. We'd have an appetizer only and go to Palo later when they wished to get into something less formal and go to the kids area to play. We will be having a family dinner together that evening no matter what. I refuse to send them to the kids area to eat alone on such a special occasion. Like you we get to have our son as our best man and our daughter as our maid of honor, pretty special isn't it? Our son, age 7, can't wait to carry the "ring".

I hope you can post your photos as I know we'd love to see them as I'm sure many others on here would too. There seems to be a lot of interest in the renewals on the cruise.

Thank you for posting your vow renewal information. It sounded like it was absolutely lovely. Congrats!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter