VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Well, I've been following the opening of RF, and I'm irritatingly disappointed. Based on pictures of the menu and comments by patrons, many of the past items that used to draw us to the place are gone. The salads are pre-made and refrigerated, as are the sandwiches--very little appears made-to-order. The a la carte Mickey waffles apparently don't exist anymore along with the toppings that went with them--bananas, strawberries, chocolate chips, whipped cream. Gone. Those waffles were the best we found on property over the years since they were made while you waited. Sigh. We'll be in the World next week, and we plan to drop by RF to see for ourselves. That being said, early returns aren't promising.

Well, I've been following the opening of RF, and I'm irritatingly disappointed. Based on pictures of the menu and comments by patrons, many of the past items that used to draw us to the place are gone. The salads are pre-made and refrigerated, as are the sandwiches--very little appears made-to-order. The a la carte Mickey waffles apparently don't exist anymore along with the toppings that went with them--bananas, strawberries, chocolate chips, whipped cream. Gone. Those waffles were the best we found on property over the years since they were made while you waited. Sigh. We'll be in the World next week, and we plan to drop by RF to see for ourselves. That being said, early returns aren't promising.
Where did you see the menu?

Bad news, shucks. We went for the made to order salads. The Marketplace at BC used to make good salads, they have not for quite awhile, now it seems RF has gone the same way.

Where did you see the menu?
They're are several on FB including these that I credit to a certain Humphrey's page. . .
016f57d7-2046-4307-b349-8a212008c3c7.png

93edadc6-43f2-44a8-8acb-d80be9659dcf.png

820fa744-2825-4c96-a746-ac5443779d7d.png

The outside seating at Roaring Forks looks nice. Nothing overly special, but I think it has turned the area a bit more inviting to sit down at.

I saw someone commented on a pic over on Humphrey's photos that it was hard to find anything for them to eat that wasn't accompanied by or cooked in Garlic or onions. Since I won't post comments publicly on Facebook I'll add here in hopes that anyone who might have a similar comment sees: It's not advertised, but on some items Disney will modify them to suit the needs of the consumer. I have to do this all the time just to get a simple burger without my allergens added on. (Prices are still the same as the original item.) Obviously, something that was pre-prepared and sitting in sauce cannot have the sauce removed, but it works fine for other items.

This won't bring back those banana or strawberry toppings for those mickey waffles though. That requires a loud outcry from the consumers to bring it back.

Oh no! I really never minded the chaos that could ensue in RF because we liked several of the items - because they were fresh made. Sandwiches were on our list as were salads and yes, a bananas fosters waffle now and then. BC Marketplace was the same for us and now we almost never get anything from there. I'd like to still have one place remain fresh and had been worried because it's rare to see Disney do a refurb and not significantly change the menu.....which I just have never understood. As restaurant owners over the years that would have been the death of us but of course we didn't have the captive audience that allowed it because there weren't any other options. Boo to F&B!

I don't know that I needed all that secrecy since it's frequently mentioned on the main WL thread over at the DISNEY RESORTS forum; however, I'm not totally sure of the rules about that sort of thing, so I try to be circumspect. We'll be there for a quick look around next week during our trip, so perhaps we'll have more to post then.

Here's the super simple way it works Sleepy. Just post a link. If it stars out then not allowed. If it doesn't then everyone can see it and click it.

Don't ask how I know. :rolleyes1

No need to try and figure out if it's allowed or not.

Walked thru RF this morning. CM big shots floating around observing and conversing. They were experiencing startup awkwardness. You order food where we used to pay. Cooler opposite entrance. Pickup and pay on back wall where food prep is. Five items for brkfst. These items seem to be made to order. But I would say there is no waffled a la cart. Drink dispensing,condiments, utinsels and napkins etc are in dining area opposite hand of entrance to food service. I only got coffee, comped because manager heard me tell wife I did not want to wait in line to pay. It looked good to me. We will eat there this trip

Here's the super simple way it works Sleepy. Just post a link. If it stars out then not allowed. If it doesn't then everyone can see it and click it.

Don't ask how I know. :rolleyes1

No need to try and figure out if it's allowed or not.
Yeah, but where's the super spy fun in that? ;)

Oh no! I really never minded the chaos that could ensue in RF because we liked several of the items - because they were fresh made. Sandwiches were on our list as were salads and yes, a bananas fosters waffle now and then. BC Marketplace was the same for us and now we almost never get anything from there. I'd like to still have one place remain fresh and had been worried because it's rare to see Disney do a refurb and not significantly change the menu.....which I just have never understood. As restaurant owners over the years that would have been the death of us but of course we didn't have the captive audience that allowed it because there weren't any other options. Boo to F&B!
I never minded waiting, either, and the trade off was fresher food. Anymore, Disney's QS has become little more than an expensive McDonald's with a few extra twists thrown in. Part of what I dislike about the approach at RF is the whole basket thing. When I had the old Mickey waffles, I didn't want bacon or sausage. Now, you have no choice. If this menu remains the same (as I fear it will), then I will call it another fail.

The outside seating at Roaring Forks looks nice. Nothing overly special, but I think it has turned the area a bit more inviting to sit down at.

I saw someone commented on a pic over on Humphrey's photos that it was hard to find anything for them to eat that wasn't accompanied by or cooked in Garlic or onions. Since I won't post comments publicly on Facebook I'll add here in hopes that anyone who might have a similar comment sees: It's not advertised, but on some items Disney will modify them to suit the needs of the consumer. I have to do this all the time just to get a simple burger without my allergens added on. (Prices are still the same as the original item.) Obviously, something that was pre-prepared and sitting in sauce cannot have the sauce removed, but it works fine for other items.

This won't bring back those banana or strawberry toppings for those mickey waffles though. That requires a loud outcry from the consumers to bring it back.
I do think the new look was warranted, and the outdoor seating, while not amazing, appears to be an upgrade and a bit more thematic to the Lodge. The whole pre-packaged food deal is yet another way for number crunchers to reduce costs. . .and yet another way I will not spend money at Disney. I can get pre-packaged sandwiches at just about any gas station. . .

Went into pool last night about 9:30. Stayed an hour or so. Nice and quiet then. A dozen or so counting daughter and I. No springs (bubblers), but water was perfect. Totally clear and washes over the sides at edges of the abandoned quarry. The water elements at deep end of pool, opposite of the zero entry side, were quite nice and lit very well. They are wooden troughs dumping water over the quarry walls and give effect of feeding the pool. WL theme music is surround sound on all sides and I liked that a lot. Very calming. The landscaping is new of course but in due time I think it will look great. There seems to be a lot of it. The bisons look fantabulous!! I like them being so close and you can easily tough the nose of the big one. My daughter did. All in all I approve. The wilderness is gone for sure, but it is nice. The fact that we can walk anywhere on the WL property and not see hard hats and barricades is a blessing. It is nice to have our resort back. Been about three years when all the painting started and silver creek water fall was covered in scaffolding. This is setting up to be a wonderful vacation. We are making new memories. I'm sitting on bench at Disney springs typing this while girls are shopping. Cha-ching!! $$

I got an invitation to tour the new cabins! They are having tours you have to sign up for July 12-15. We are staying at BLT during that time frame so I signed up for July 15. Cannot wait to see it! :yay::yay::yay::yay:

We signed up for July 12th - my birthday. We got very lucky with the timing. We leave the 13th

Went into pool last night about 9:30. Stayed an hour or so. Nice and quiet then. A dozen or so counting daughter and I. No springs (bubblers), but water was perfect. Totally clear and washes over the sides at edges of the abandoned quarry. The water elements at deep end of pool, opposite of the zero entry side, were quite nice and lit very well. They are wooden troughs dumping water over the quarry walls and give effect of feeding the pool. WL theme music is surround sound on all sides and I liked that a lot. Very calming. The landscaping is new of course but in due time I think it will look great. There seems to be a lot of it. The bisons look fantabulous!! I like them being so close and you can easily tough the nose of the big one. My daughter did. All in all I approve. The wilderness is gone for sure, but it is nice. The fact that we can walk anywhere on the WL property and not see hard hats and barricades is a blessing. It is nice to have our resort back. Been about three years when all the painting started and silver creek water fall was covered in scaffolding. This is setting up to be a wonderful vacation. We are making new memories. I'm sitting on bench at Disney springs typing this while girls are shopping. Cha-ching!! $$
This sounds heavenly! Thank you for sharing!

Hi everybody,
We are gearing up for our January 2018 trip with my sister and her family. This will be their first WDW experience. We're staying at Copper Creek and plan to have one date night at AP...can I get suggestions for the other? I am planning on California Grill because of the convenience but keep reading mixed reviews.

We will be leaving our kids in the kids club, and I'd like to minimize travel time from the lodge. We'd love to WOW my sister and her husband. Thoughts on great date night dinners?

Thanks in advance!

Hi everybody,
We are gearing up for our January 2018 trip with my sister and her family. This will be their first WDW experience. We're staying at Copper Creek and plan to have one date night at AP...can I get suggestions for the other? I am planning on California Grill because of the convenience but keep reading mixed reviews.

We will be leaving our kids in the kids club, and I'd like to minimize travel time from the lodge. We'd love to WOW my sister and her husband. Thoughts on great date night dinners?

Thanks in advance!
Well, Ellizabeth, you will likely get a lot of varying suggestions; mine are no more valid than anyone else's, but since you asked. . .pirate:

Artist Point: You mentioned this one and it's a great choice. My suggestion there is to make an early reservation--between 5:30 and 6--and ask to be seated by a window. AP is our favorite spot to eat for many reasons.
Jiko: Another superb restaurant, and perfect for date nights. The ambiance, menu, and wine list are all superb, and we've always had excellent service there.
Boathouse/Morimoto Asia: Both of these are slightly more boisterous than either AP or Jiko; however, both offer very good food and a lovely ambiance. I'm particularly struck with the Boathouse as it sits on the water and is lovingly themed.
Il Mulino: Our favorite Italian spot in the World, and it's casually upscale. Not only do we enjoy the pastas there, but we love the fact you can get small plates of any pasta dish which is great for moderate eaters such as we tend to be. Wine list is also notable along with the service.
CA Grill: This one is a tougher call. I've had excellent meals there, and you can't argue with the view. Service has always been exemplary, as well. Still, it always seems to be loud there during dinner, making it difficult to carry on normal conversation. If you like that sort of excitement and almost festivity to your date night meals, then by all means, I say go. If, like us, you prefer something a touch more quiet and romantic, then it might not be a good choice.

Finally, the Cub's Den has not yet reopened, so I'd see if you can find out just when it will return. I'm assuming it will be ready before January, but one should never make an assumption when dealing with Disney timing. Good hunting!

Well, Ellizabeth, you will likely get a lot of varying suggestions; mine are no more valid than anyone else's, but since you asked. . .pirate:

CA Grill: This one is a tougher call. I've had excellent meals there, and you can't argue with the view. Service has always been exemplary, as well. Still, it always seems to be loud there during dinner, making it difficult to carry on normal conversation. If you like that sort of excitement and almost festivity to your date night meals, then by all means, I say go. If, like us, you prefer something a touch more quiet and romantic, then it might not be a good choice.

Finally, the Cub's Den has not yet reopened, so I'd see if you can find out just when it will return. I'm assuming it will be ready before January, but one should never make an assumption when dealing with Disney timing. Good hunting!

Sleepydog25, thanks for all the input! We ate at Jiko on our last visit. My husband loved it; I think I didn't order well. I think it might be a little adventurous for my brother-in-law. I am going to check into the Boathouse and Morimoto based on your recommendations -- thanks! And your comments continue to worry me for CA Grill. Hmmmmm.

I had no idea the Cub's Den had closed! Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure it would be open again for January, but will definitely keep an eye out. Thanks!

Hi everybody,

Thanks in advance!

Well, for me, Cali Grill is one of, if not my top favorite. Yes, the noise levels can be greater I guess but at WDW it's more my expectation. For a table of 4 you'll still be able to converse just fine. And I really enjoy the views. I'd eat there anytime in a heartbeat.

Well, for me, Cali Grill is one of, if not my top favorite. Yes, the noise levels can be greater I guess but at WDW it's more my expectation. For a table of 4 you'll still be able to converse just fine. And I really enjoy the views. I'd eat there anytime in a heartbeat.

Good to know! I would love to take the boat over and back for dinner. So much nicer than the bus. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter